Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Swapping from Gel to Patch  (Read 1569 times)

Sammiejane

Swapping from Gel to Patch
« on: December 17, 2019, 01:08:42 PM »

afternoon ladies

can i have some advice please as i due to see my Gp tomorrow

as you know i've been having hair shedding issue since starting estrogen only hrt (hysterectomy and oopherectomy) in the form of estrogel which i have stopped now for 9 days to see if shedding would stop and it pretty much has .

as u know i've mentioned several times about a balance of all 3 hormones so here are my question

do i remain off hrt for a little longer ?

do i try the estrogel again but combining progesterone and testosterone to see if balances things not to cause shedding ?

do i swap the gel to sandrena gel or patch ie estradot or something i say estradot as hairloss listed as rare !

i'm seeing go tomorrow and will of cause get her advice as being only 40 i cannot really not be in anything although i feel fine off it vagina a little more dry so i think the gel must of had some impact there too in a positive way i know it's trial and error in finding the right one but my life in some ways has been put on hold through all this and also if i have to be on for the next ten years can not cope with shedding of hair because who knows if it will stop !

thank you ladies your thoughts once again appreciated ! even what u take whether this was all 3 hormones all at once your experience of the hrt u use xx

Whatsupwiththis

Re: Swapping from Gel to Patch
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 07:47:14 PM »

Hi Sammijane
I can't offer any advice re:  hair loss but at 40 seems like it might be more thyroid related?  I have read that some ladies experience hair loss with Vagifem although few and far between.  It would be interesting to find out if your GP thinks it is estrogen related.  Keep us posted and good luck.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 08:57:10 PM »

Hi Sammiejane

All patches and both types of gel contain the same oestrogen - estradiol - so in that sense there is no difference between them whatever the leaflets say - these do vary according to what the manufacturers decide to put - subject to the requirements. I don't think any of the fillers in any of these preparations have any effect in hair.

Therefore changing from gel to patch is unlikely to have any effect on hair except if you absorb it differently. I know you do not yet know what is causing your hair loss - but if (for example) it is low oestrogen then if the change to a patch results in lower oestrogen levels it could aggravate this although I doubt that small changes in levels would make that much difference.

If it is the rapid change in oestrogen affecting your hair then it shouldn't have any effect if the levels remain approx similar?

Also many of the patches are unavailable or in short supply - I have had to switch from Estradot to Estraderm and have now been given Elleste when the Estraderm have run out but depends what area you are in I think.

I definitely would not add progesterone to the mix - personally as you do not need it to protect yor womb and your body does make a little of it anyway.

I do take all 3 hormones but not all at once - I take progesterone to protect my womb and cyclically on a long cycle because I hate having to take it.

If you're having VA problems then do use the products you have been prescribed because many need local oestrogen as well as full systemic HRT in order to be confortable.

All the best with your appt tomorrow.

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 09:29:43 PM »

hi ladies

thanks for the comments

it had virtually stopped shedding since stopping estrogel i'm not finding hairs all over my floor. good sign

i pretty much know it's not low estrogen causing it has ice only been shedding since taking estrogen and now i've stopped it my hair has stopped shedding

my thyroid is fine as i've had 3 blood test done in a year and all other elements are fine vit d , iron , zinc etc

i don't know what to do. x

i though i'd try the gel with the other hormones at the same time to maybe balance the hormones x

Sammiejane

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 11:33:02 PM »

hurdity

a quick question what is considered low estrogen level ?

mine was 368 pmol then 10 days later 113pmol of estrogen

testosterone stayed sane around 0.7, 0.9

thanks