Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: How long does Vagifem take to work?  (Read 1948 times)

AndieM

How long does Vagifem take to work?
« on: December 18, 2019, 10:09:19 PM »

After some advice....sorry if TMI
Went to the doctors last Friday as I have been having irritation and burning around my Vulva and  Labia chafing when walking, no irritation in my Vagina, she took a look and said the skin was looking pale and I that it looked like VA.
Prescribed Vagifem loading dose every night for 3 weeks then twice a week after that.
My question is as I'm not having any problems internally should I be asking for Ovestin cream to apply externally or give it time and the Vagifem will work on both, I think I might be a little impatient.
The symptoms seem a little worse since I had the coil fitted 7 weeks ago and I haven't stopped bleeding yet.

Tinkerbell

Re: How long does Vagifem take to work?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 10:53:43 PM »

I started seeing improvement with Vagifem after 8 days and it was about 2 months before all the irritation went so you do need to give it a big longer. If, when you go on the maintenance dose, the irritation comes back you may have to use more frequently than tiwce a week.

I use Ovestin cream as well, but only need a very small smear of it, so you could ask for that to, although if you are really irritated it may sting until things improve.

I guess the bleeding isn't helping either if you are using pads, i spotted for 4.5 months when i had my mirena fitted.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »

I take Vagifem daily and have been doing so for approx. 4 to 6 mos. and finally getting some relief.  I am older than most when I was dx'ed with VA so my GP told me it could take a full year of daily use b4 I feel the full effect.  Some ladies takes a few weeks...some a few months and some many, many months.  I think it depends on how bad the atrophy is.  Keep preserving...you'll get there.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 01:47:10 PM »

Andie..should have mentioned that you may want to ask Kilted about Intrarosa.  Some women are finding Intrarosa better than Vagifem and there is a recent thread on it.  It is not available where I live (Canada) but would like to try it.

Tc

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 02:19:38 PM »

Andie.
I find progesterone makes my VA worse.. But obviously we have to use it in one form or another. The dose in the mirena is relatively low. But for some reason bleeding makes me sore and dry and even did so  during my natural periods. I used to think  my own blood was irritating me  but I think it's more likely to be the pads. There are a few, not many, natural ones on the market. And whatever you do steer well clear of the perfumed ones.

I dont find vagifem works on the outside areas. I use ovestin externally (I actually find it works better for me internally too) . I find ovestin better than estriol as it is stronger so less is needed and its thicker so easier to rub into the vulva area.

If the tissue is atrophied and very dry the initial loading dose works to heal the tissues first and might irritate a bit at first but once this initial healing has taken place the tissue is more able to absorb and make use of any moisturising products used.  I find yes VM good. But if the area is very sore it may sting. I've read on here some ladies find coconut oil soothing.

Xxxx

AndieM

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »

Thanks all :)
I've only been on Vagifem for a week so not expecting instant results.
I've just rang the doctors for my swab results and they are all clear.
The doctor said that the Vagifem should treat the vulva as well so was interested to see other people using the cream.

Tc.... I was wondering how long to wait if symptoms don't resolve to ask for Ovestin as my main problem seems to be irritation and burning around the Vulva.
I find as I'm bleeding at the moment that tampons are more comfortable than pads/ panty liners and anything scented is a big no no.
I've been using yes cleanse to shower and yes vm which have definitely helped. X
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:37:59 PM by AndieM »

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 04:26:16 PM »

The Vagifem calmed the irritation i had on the vulva, but i had a couple of stubborn areas that need the Ovestin but i only smear thinly on those bits, i don't apply all over, give Vagifem longer you may find it is enough.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 04:32:35 PM »

Give it time.  Your GP seems to be on the ball, that's 1 thing. 

Pads can cause dryness and chaffing.  Don't wear tongs or tight panties .......... let the product do it's work it may take a few weeks for the body to adjust  ;)

:welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »

Just signing off but caught this thread - my tip of the day AndieM is - if you are using tampons then definitely get some estriol cream ( the weaker one = 0.01%). When I am bleeding I squirt some of this over the end of the tampon every time I change it (Lillets - not ones with applicators!) and during this period of time stop using the Vagifem which I find does not help the drying caused by the constant insertion etc of tampons. This (the estriol) keeps everything nice and moist. My GP happily prescribed it to me for this purpose alone when I told her that Vagifem was too drying during withdrawal bleeds.  Once bleeds have stopped I go back to Vagifem. In the meantime you could get an OTC vaginal moisturiser to put on the end of the tampon which may well do the same job? Someone else would need to recommende a type as I've never used these - some are better than others I gather. There is a thread on Intrarosa which is current so on this page!

The things we do  ::)

Hurdity x

AndieM

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 05:36:06 PM »

Thanks all, I'm coming back a man next time! ::)

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 05:38:35 PM »

AndieM....STAND IN LINE....I think most of us feel the exact same way.  Hopefully my ex will come back as a female 😈