Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Parcel Deliveries  (Read 1812 times)

stellajane

Parcel Deliveries
« on: December 05, 2019, 12:53:41 PM »

I just found out that UPS delivered a parcel addressed to me to a neighbour down the road some three or four days ago without putting a card through my door to inform me  >:(

Problem is, said neighbour is a frail 80 something woman living alone and with pretty obvious dementia. After ringing the company to find out when my parcel was sent I called on this lady who denied having taken a parcel in. I then went on to describe that it was a big long package, she suddenly twigged and took me into a spare bedroom where she'd put it for 'safe keeping' thinking her niece (who visits occasionally) had ordered something!

The woman didn't recognise me as a neighbour, let me into her house and let me take a package that she hadn't seen my address on. It felt all wrong. I have put in a complaint to UPS.

Anyone else had this kind of thing happen?

Sparrow

Re: Parcel Deliveries
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 01:05:55 PM »

That's bad.  I thought UPS was one of the better ones!

We had a modem missed delivered, when we changed providers.  That was Royal Mail and I made a complaint.  Postman knocked the door and apologised.

Two hoots

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 01:13:47 PM »

My sister missed a delivery, when she contacted the company they first said it was left with a neighbour but when she asked what house number they said no it wasn't with a neighbour it had definitely been posted through the letterbox .....the item she was waiting for was a garden bench  :o

I get asked regularly to take in parcels for neighbours and I always ask if they will post a card to say I have the parcel, but I won't take anything from more than two houses away. As long as the driver can get rid of the parcel I don't  think they care who takes it.

If the lady is so trusting her family should be told, I would look out for her niece and tell her what's happened if it was me, otherwise if something happened to her I'd feel terrible

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 02:12:00 PM »

Someone told me that some delivery companies don't pay their drivers unless the parcel is delivered, hence why we keep getting asked to take neighbours parcels in.
We don't anymore, they bang on the door, and either my son or OH is in bed because they work shifts, so we've put a stop to it!

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 02:47:28 PM »

Seriously, does anyone know why postmen (and it always is one of the male posties) put a card through the door saying they couldn't deliver a parcel because you were out, without even knocking? I've tried asking mine but got evasive answers. It's happened so many times to me! I've got the current postie better trained now by always arranging a redelivery.

Just wondered.

JP x

Two hoots

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 03:04:44 PM »

I have a lovely postman I hope he never changes his area  :)

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 05:06:44 PM »

We had the same postman for years but now we seem to have a different one each week. He's still there though. 

getting_old

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 07:13:23 PM »

Some years ago we had several PC boxes left on the front step in full view of anyone passing. We used to have a really nice postie who knew we were out at work, and because we didn't live in the best area he used to hide stuff behind the wheelie bin for us.

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 07:17:53 PM »

When we moved in we had a lovely post lady who told us that they always leave parcels in a safe place (as sorting office is 10 miles away) and was that ok for us, when she left her replacement - who also filled in when she was away - carried on doing the same thing, it's a great help.

jaycee

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »

Sometimes we have had a text saying parcel has been delivered, when it hasn't, then it is delivered the next day
This has happened more than once and one time a card was pushed through my letterbox saying sorry we missed you,i was actually sat in the living room watching him through the glass door,he didn't even knock or ring the bell.he couldn't see me the glass was frosted,i just saw the card come through the letterbox

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »

YEP.

12 months ago we sent cheques via Royal Mail to a nephew in Cardiff - to be signed for.  It wasn't delivered so we cancelled it.  3 days later we sent repeat cheques, again to be signed for.  It was signed for but not by the nephew - he lived with 7 others and no one had seen the envelope.   Cheques have never been cashed.  DH followed it through to the highest level but 'it has been signed for' there4 must have been delivered.  We think the hobo on the bench drinking the cider signed it ........... Royal Mail weren't interested in the fact that it was a cheque.  According to them the recipient has signed for it as his name was the 'signature' but it was obvious from the tracking slip .......... nope.  Not our nephew!

Around the same time we had to send Power of Attorney documents to the Pension Office on Mum's behalf.  Sent via Royal Mail, signed for at the Office. So far so good: however.  Pension Office returned documents to DH to be signed for, but at an address in a village 5 miles AWAY - how's that for Breaches of Confidentiality and Data Protection?  Fortunately after it was signed for the person realised upon opening the envelope, walked across to the PO in that village and sent it onwards - but the PO didn't put it recorded delivery!!  Again, PO Counters, Royal Mail nor Pension Office could see that there was a breach of privacy nor of the Data Protection Act .........

Locals are always complaining at Hermes .......... leaving parcels in the council bin  :o but not putting a note through the door. 

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 08:37:28 PM »

Royal Mail should put a card through the door .......

Royal Mail should also get a signature for recorded delivery but on Tuesday we had a parcel left behind the bin which should have been signed for  >:( ....... the tab hadn't even been opened !

Hermes will leave anywhere.  Amazon are a little better unless the driver is in a hurry.  Reading earlier in the Telegraph apparently they don't get time for a toilet break - well that is up to them!  They use their own vehicles so should be calling their own hours.

I have one box of live meal worms go astray last year  :-\ ........... there is probably a van crawling with 'em  :D

jaycee

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 11:58:11 PM »

I think sometimes the drivers themselves sign them .the last one which wasn't delivered until the day after was signed with my daughters partners signature and said delivered on time

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 09:36:58 AM »

Fraud!

I want to add something after the slogan "Over 30,000 items delivered safely" - "Over 40,000 never arrived" - on the large Royal Mail lorries  >:(

It's also a break of Data Protection.