Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Anyone here with cancer?  (Read 1801 times)

LilyAndEsme

Anyone here with cancer?
« on: February 02, 2020, 06:26:17 PM »

Hi ladies
Just updating everyone since my last post which I think was November last year.

Surgery went well and I'm six weeks in recovery. I had a total hysterectomy so everything removed.  I've been diagnosed with endometrial cancer, I've been told very early stages, Stage 1a, stage 1.  The pre cancerous cells were just turning but microscopic and confined to the uterus.  No further treatment and no follow up unless I have symptoms.  Yes, I'm lucky to have such a low grade, consultant said next to zero percent for recurrence. However, the thought of it returning is always there and I can't seem to move forward.

Are there any ladies here with breast cancer or uterine cancer? How do you cope with day to day living with a cancer diagnosis? I feel like life will never be the same with this cloud hanging over me.

I have a stinking cold so going to bunk down with a hot toddy.  :-\

Hope you're all doing well.

Jess

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anyone here with cancer?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 06:38:42 PM »

Give yourself a break.  It is early days.  You have had a shock, followed by surgical intervention and diagnosis.  Which although 'good' will for while, be in the front of your mind.  'what if' is a strong emotion.

Half a day at a time.  Give yourself treats.  As the weather improves I expect that you will begin to feel better.  I went through treatment for breast disease in the 1990s and was fine until after the last radiation treatment: then I felt bereft as my routine of daily treatment sessions had disappeared as had the connection with staff.  I also thought that I would be the sort of person who would look at my various scars and be scared.  Always.  But I rarely give it a thought. 

Maybe ask if there the Hospital whether there is a support group attached to the Hospital, there may be details on the website?  Is there a PALS group - people who liaise between patients, relatives and the medical profession? 

Or see if there is a facebook group in your area?  Your GP might know.  Or in the Library.  There should be a group, maybe ask Macmillan or Marie Curie Nurses, or the local Hospice - all should be aware if there are others in your area who might like to get 2gether to feel less alone.

LilyAndEsme

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 07:03:25 PM »

Thank you for your reply.  I'm asking how other women coped with a cancer diagnosis. What 'ifs' is quite normal isn't it with a new diagnosis of this nature? 

I've actioned a date for counselling and I've called and spoken to oncology nurses but I would like to connect with other women here.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 01:44:17 PM »

I have a good GP
A loving husband
A good Consultant who talked through the whole procedure after diagnosis
He told us what might happen and what he thought was unlikely to occur
He had a good team and the Anaesthetist was lovely

My main worry was not being able to attend the daily radiation sessions due to panic attacks - but adrenaline saw me through that.

(had to pause to feed the neighbours' cat  ::) )

I have regular mammograms and follow ups.  Each time I would think 'what if' but in-between appts. I was fine. 

Taking a list with me was useful.  Also having DH along initially to listen. 

How R U coping?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:49:01 PM by CLKD »

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 03:25:08 AM »

Hi ladies
Just updating everyone since my last post which I think was November last year.

Surgery went well and I'm six weeks in recovery. I had a total hysterectomy so everything removed.  I've been diagnosed with endometrial cancer, I've been told very early stages, Stage 1a, stage 1.  The pre cancerous cells were just turning but microscopic and confined to the uterus.  No further treatment and no follow up unless I have symptoms.  Yes, I'm lucky to have such a low grade, consultant said next to zero percent for recurrence. However, the thought of it returning is always there and I can't seem to move forward.

Are there any ladies here with breast cancer or uterine cancer? How do you cope with day to day living with a cancer diagnosis? I feel like life will never be the same with this cloud hanging over me.

I have a stinking cold so going to bunk down with a hot toddy.  :-\

Hope you're all doing well.

Jess
  Really sorry to hear the diagnosis but glad that it was caught early. Out of interest, how was it discovered so early? Did you have any symptoms which led to scans? eg. Vaginal scan which showed endometrial layer?