Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Pelvic scans  (Read 1116 times)

Jeepers

Pelvic scans
« on: November 29, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »

Hi All

I know that some of you lovely ladies on HRT have pelvic scans routinely, just to check that things are all good.  My question is, how often is often enough? Annually? Six monthly?

thanks

Jeepers xx

Hurdity

Re: Pelvic scans
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 08:50:17 PM »

It depends on the reasons for doing them. If you have any bleeding problems then you should get them on NHS through a referral. However if you are taking an unlicensed HRT regime through your doctor and your doc won't let you have scans on NHS ( there are rules for referral) then yes advisable to have a routine one privately if you can afford it. In the absence of problems I would say annually, but it depends on your history. Like I said if you bleed unexpectedly and there is no explanation you would be referred anyway. eg I have only had two private ones but probably 4 or so others in addition altogether because of referrals due to bleeding or sptting etc (over the past 12 + years)

Hurdity x

Machair

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 09:31:17 AM »

If you live in London I can highly recommend Sonoworld. It is cheaper than some and the sonographer is very experienced.You also get the added peace of mind that your ovaries are healthy, which is good as there is currently no screening test routinely offered for ovarian cancer. Same day appointments are often available and the place is lovely- not at all daunting to visit- a beautiful house. You are told what she finds at the time, a follow up report is emailed to you in hours and if you need a referral it is written so your doctor can action it. I went there for peace of mind. It was £145 for a full scan including trans vaginal.

bear

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 10:33:49 AM »

Hi Machair,

Excellent info, thank you  :)

BeaR.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 11:19:26 AM »

I wasn't going to post about prviate info as it's important to try to get what you need on NHS - and you only asked about frequency - also we aren't allowed commerical links but I will add to your post Machair to say I have used ultrasound direct for the two scans I had - so have a google. They also do the whole lower pelvic area and the CA125 test as well - as a post-menopausal package - but is slightly more expensive and really anyone who has symptoms should get all of this on NHS - ie scans and appropriate blood tests. I know stellajane has reported on here that she has used other walk-in scan services (for endometrial thickness scan) much cheaper too.

Hurdity x

Machair

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 09:21:53 PM »

Yes Hurdity I absolutely agree if you have symptoms you must go to the NHS for help. I wanted peace of mind with no symptoms, so I had no medical need or indication for a scan and it would have been wrong for me to ask for one.That is why I chose private, if I had something I was worried about I would have gone to the GP.

Jeepers

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 05:16:43 PM »

Hi

thanks for the really good replies.  I don't have any symptoms, it will just be for peace of mind, as you say.  I don't live in London, but as luck would have it,  there is an ultrasound direct clinic within walking distance of my house.   I had a scan in April, so wont be lookig todo this until the spring anyway.

Thanks again

Jeepers xx