Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: A 50mg vaginal micronised progesterone capsule is available...  (Read 2596 times)

bear

A 50mg vaginal micronised progesterone capsule is available...
« on: November 30, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »

Hi girls,

... in China since 2004!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6664151/

'In 2004, a new product — hard micronized progesterone capsule (Yimaxin; Zhejiang Xianju Pharmaceutical, Taizhou, China) was introduced. Progesterone is synthesized with diosgenin extracted from the plant Dioscorea zingiberensis (Dioscorea nipponica). Its chemical structure is completely identical to physiological progesterone in the human body, and is a natural progesterone. Yimaxin is prepared by solid dispersion and superfine grinding. In theoretical analysis, Yimaxin particles are at the nanometer level. Progesterone is present in solid dispersion in a molecular state, which is designed to enhance the progesterone dissolution rate. Sales of Yimaxin reached 9.5 million boxes in 2018, and the drug was used by approximately 4.75 million people. Calculated by number of boxes, it accounted for about 21% of the Chinese progesterone market.'

Considering that all things seem to be made in China these days, I thought this could be a really interesting product to be considered by the NHS and according to this preliminary study the vaginal absorption of Yimaxin is superior to Utrogestan.

BeaR.

Sammiejane

Re: A 50mg vaginal micronised progesterone capsule is available...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 03:14:42 PM »

hi bear

i wonder if that could also be taking orally ?

let's hope

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 03:21:39 PM »

Hi girls,

... in China since 2004!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6664151/

'In 2004, a new product — hard micronized progesterone capsule (Yimaxin; Zhejiang Xianju Pharmaceutical, Taizhou, China) was introduced. Progesterone is synthesized with diosgenin extracted from the plant Dioscorea zingiberensis (Dioscorea nipponica). Its chemical structure is completely identical to physiological progesterone in the human body, and is a natural progesterone. Yimaxin is prepared by solid dispersion and superfine grinding. In theoretical analysis, Yimaxin particles are at the nanometer level. Progesterone is present in solid dispersion in a molecular state, which is designed to enhance the progesterone dissolution rate. Sales of Yimaxin reached 9.5 million boxes in 2018, and the drug was used by approximately 4.75 million people. Calculated by number of boxes, it accounted for about 21% of the Chinese progesterone market.'

Considering that all things seem to be made in China these days, I thought this could be a really interesting product to be considered by the NHS and according to this preliminary study the vaginal absorption of Yimaxin is superior to Utrogestan.

BeaR.

Thanks bear. I read about this a few weeks ago I think when someone posted about a different progesterone product available for ? contraception in some Third World countries in South America - (Brazil or Chile perhaps - can't remember?) - vaginal ring I think. I didn't post then (about the Yimaxin then because I thought it had limited applicability other than academic – but interesting that there are other products already available. Personally though I would want to see something developed closer to home because of supply chain issues – although many of such products are exported worldwide. As we have our own progesterone products in EU I can imagine there hasn't been a need – although I would want to see more companies producing (generic) progesterone formulations  - but in EU.

Also they mainly studied systemic absorption  – when in fact it is the amount that gets to the endometrium which is critical when used as part of HRT. The conclusion that the absorption of Yimaxin vaginally was superior to that of Utrogestan I don't think is justified when you apply that principle to the endometrium. They gave an explanation for the lower systemic absorption of Utrogestan – that this was due to the formulation of the capsules which inhibited absorption through the vagina – but there was no comparison (between vag Utro and Yimaxin) about endometrial concentrations which is the crucial parameter followed by thickness etc after oestrogen.

I think the aim of the study was still for it to be applicable to its use for luteal support and compare this to utrogestan.

The things is 50 mg progesterone in one product is not the same as 50 mg in another – especially when talking about a hard pessary vs soft capsule. For example if you compare the amounts needed for luteal support different doses are needed depending on the product – I've posted about that in the past.  Research needs to be done on endometrial protection as part of HRT with any number of products. 

So if they are comparing  50 mg and saying it is similar to 100 mg utrogestan ( although we don;t know re endometrial protection) – and even saying the systemic absorption of this lower dose product is HIGHER, then we are no further forward because it is the lower dose progesterones  that will give endometrial protection with LOWER systemic absorption that we are interested in – so a 50 mg Utrogestan capsules and perhaps a return of the 4 % Crinone gel.  Higher systemic absorption wil give more side effects.

Complicated when you look beyond the conclusion....

Hurdity x

bear

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 05:20:28 PM »

Thanks bear. I read about this a few weeks ago I think when someone posted about a different progesterone product available for ? contraception in some Third World countries in South America - (Brazil or Chile perhaps - can't remember?) - vaginal ring I think. I didn't post then (about the Yimaxin then because I thought it had limited applicability other than academic – but interesting that there are other products already available. Personally though I would want to see something developed closer to home because of supply chain issues – although many of such products are exported worldwide. As we have our own progesterone products in EU I can imagine there hasn't been a need – although I would want to see more companies producing (generic) progesterone formulations  - but in EU.

Also they mainly studied systemic absorption  – when in fact it is the amount that gets to the endometrium which is critical when used as part of HRT. The conclusion that the absorption of Yimaxin vaginally was superior to that of Utrogestan I don't think is justified when you apply that principle to the endometrium. They gave an explanation for the lower systemic absorption of Utrogestan – that this was due to the formulation of the capsules which inhibited absorption through the vagina – but there was no comparison (between vag Utro and Yimaxin) about endometrial concentrations which is the crucial parameter followed by thickness etc after oestrogen.

I think the aim of the study was still for it to be applicable to its use for luteal support and compare this to utrogestan.

The things is 50 mg progesterone in one product is not the same as 50 mg in another – especially when talking about a hard pessary vs soft capsule. For example if you compare the amounts needed for luteal support different doses are needed depending on the product – I've posted about that in the past.  Research needs to be done on endometrial protection as part of HRT with any number of products. 

So if they are comparing  50 mg and saying it is similar to 100 mg utrogestan ( although we don;t know re endometrial protection) – and even saying the systemic absorption of this lower dose product is HIGHER, then we are no further forward because it is the lower dose progesterones  that will give endometrial protection with LOWER systemic absorption that we are interested in – so a 50 mg Utrogestan capsules and perhaps a return of the 4 % Crinone gel.  Higher systemic absorption wil give more side effects.

Complicated when you look beyond the conclusion....

Hurdity x

Hi there,

Unlikely 'academic' when 4.75 million women are using it.

Unlikely 'for it to be applicable to its use for luteal support and compare this to utrogestan' when all the 16 subjects are postmenopausal women  ;D

'On day 21, drugs (estrogen and progesterone) were discontinued, fasting blood samples collected, and specimens of endometrium collected and examined independently by two experienced pathologists.'

'Orally administered Yimaxin is rapidly metabolized during first liver pass and then disappears from the general circulation. On the other hand, vaginal-route Yimaxin reaches higher progesterone concentrations in endometrial tissue than oral-route Yimaxin'

I suppose that answers your concerns about 'endometrial protection'.

They are not comparing 50mg Yimaxin with 100mg Utrogestan, they are comparing 200mg of both drugs.

Regarding the systemic absorption, since Yimaxin has HIGHER VAGINAL ABSORPTION than Utrogestan, it's likely that lower doses could be enough for endometrial protection and I expect further studies will be carried out to assess this possibility. This is just a small preliminary study.

'Personally though I would want to see something developed closer to home because of supply chain issues – although many of such products are exported worldwide.' Pharmaceutical companies are global, the small local ones are going to be acquired or merged sooner or later. Supply chain issues are usually related to raw materials, not finished products and most raw materials used by manufacturing sites in Europe and the UK come from China or India, so nothing will change unless the raw materials are also produced locally, which is unlikely in the near future due to high costs.

This statement has caught my attention: 'Because blood-drug concentration is low after a single dose, the general single-dose protocol is not suitable for clinical use, but twice a day is usually selected in clinical practice, which is adopted for PK study' I wonder if this is why one single daily dose of Utrogestan causes so many nasty side effects.

'Third World countries' are called developing countries.  ;)

BeaR.

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 07:05:08 PM »

BeaR, thanks for starting this interesting and informative thread, it will give a lot of women hope.   So many struggle with Utrogestan because of the high dose so this is a very interesting proposition.  One of the many problems I had with Utrogestan was the instability which caused oestrogen spikes.

I wonder if it is possible to source this product online?

You may have seen from some of my posts that I use 50mg bespoke progesterone every day and it has been life changing for me.   The reason for its success is the dose and the delivery system which eliminates side effects.   I wonder if this product is similar?

I would not want to switch to a different progesterone product now having taken so long to find a regime that works, I would not want to take the risk, but I really hope this could work for other women.

Well done!

bear

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 12:45:01 PM »

hi bear

i wonder if that could also be taking orally ?

let's hope

Hi Sammiejane,

Yes, both Yimaxin and Utrogestan can be taken orally or vaginally.

BeaR.

bear

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 01:11:35 PM »

BeaR, thanks for starting this interesting and informative thread, it will give a lot of women hope.   So many struggle with Utrogestan because of the high dose so this is a very interesting proposition.  One of the many problems I had with Utrogestan was the instability which caused oestrogen spikes.

I wonder if it is possible to source this product online?

You may have seen from some of my posts that I use 50mg bespoke progesterone every day and it has been life changing for me.   The reason for its success is the dose and the delivery system which eliminates side effects.   I wonder if this product is similar?

I would not want to switch to a different progesterone product now having taken so long to find a regime that works, I would not want to take the risk, but I really hope this could work for other women.

Well done!

Hi Mary G,

I don't know if it's available online, Chinese products usually are but I suppose this one requires a prescription which I suspect won't be accepted (yet). I'm not aware of the legal arrangements between the UK and China regarding medicines.

I'm glad you have found a 50mg progesterone product that works for you. Let's hope a similar one will be available soon on the NHS. I think this one in particular could be an interesting option considering the low prices of Chinese products and the recent US recommendation (or rather imposition) that China has to increase imports from other countries. After Brexit I suppose trading with China will be put on the table.

BeaR.

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 06:50:55 PM »

BeaR, I'm sure the UK will try to negotiate a trade deal with China if Brexit goes ahead but it will take years like all trade deals!

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 08:01:49 PM »

Sorry but this is all just off the wall! Yes there is a capsule - but that's it. Not available in UK, nor likely to be in near futue and not tested for protection of endometrium as part of HRT.

Yes of academic interest - but that's as far as it goes! It is getting women's hopes up - and this is false hope! The most likely low dose prog would be utrogestan - and this would also need testing. I've already commented about dose and comparison etc....

How about putting pressure on NHS or Besins or BMS to widen choice with a 50 mg capsule?

Hurdity x

bear

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 02:19:58 PM »

Hi there,

Unfortunately I don't have time to post a full reply explaining the intricacies of the pharmaceutical business, which I will do later on, but just for your information, Besins Healthcare imports progesterone from China, as you can see in the European Medicine Agency website.  Unfortunately you have to do your own search, but I'm sure you can do it. Just click API Registrations> Search 3rd Country Sites> Choose Country: China>Type API name: progesterone.

This is a snapshot, just in case you don't have time..

See you later,

BeaR.

bear

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 02:55:03 PM »

BeaR, I'm sure the UK will try to negotiate a trade deal with China if Brexit goes ahead but it will take years like all trade deals!

Hi Mary G,

I don't think so, I will explain the reasons later on, but you can see from my previous post in reply to hurdity that Utrogestan active pharmaceutical ingredient (API), progesterone, comes from China  ;)

BeaR.