Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GP says uterine scans stopped as no loner reliable, Dr Currie hopes they are.  (Read 2203 times)

Dandelion

Hope someone can help me.

In January of this year I had a hysteroscopy after a scan as it showed thickening of the womb lining but only slightly.

I had been bleeding from the womb for months and plucked up the courage to go to my GP.
I was on 100mcg oestrogen patch and 100mg utrogestan daily orally.
My official prescription was 200mg utrogestan orally 12 days a  month at the time.
I put myself on 100mg utro daily as it is cross tolerant to the valium I am addicted to and my mental state went down on the days I was not taking it.
I explained this to my GP who said she would leave me on the same regimen I had put myself on until I could go for my scan.
After the scan I got a hysteroscopy which showed no cancer.
The utrogestan was changed to a daily regimen of 100mg orally plus 100mg vaginally, and I was corresponding with Dr Currie about this and she was very helpful.
All went well until June when the bleeding started again, so in August, a different GP reduced my evorel to 75mcg which brought back night sweats but stopped the bleeding.
Dr Currie had spoken to this GP.
This GP said that they had stopped doing scans this year as they were no longer considered reliable.
In October the bleeding started again and I wrote to Dr Currie with a dossier of what had happened and told her the GP she spoke to told me scans were stopped this year but I  forgot to telll her why they had been stopped due to unreliability.
Dr Currie said that she had not heard of scans being stopped but hoped they were still available. She suggested I go for further investigations but i do not want a hysteroscopy and the gynaecologist who saw me said if the bleeding didn't stop, I would have to keep returning to him for investigations, if I didn't change my progesterone regime.
I do not want to change my progesterone regime as it will disrupt the receptors that the valium acts on and be a potential disaster with withdrawal due to cross tolerance.
Has anyone else heard that uterine scans are not available as they are no longer reliable?
Thanks

Machair

Hi Dandelion

My heart goes out to you. If you live near London and want to pay for a private scan Sonoworld are really lovely and the lady I saw is a world class sonographer. I went for peace of mind and my lining like yours was slightly thickened at 6mm.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Maybe ring your local Hospital and ask the question  :-\.  Your GP may be out of date, they may have been withdrawn in your area due to a lack of staff to man the machines, or he may be trying to cut costs!

Dandelion

Hi Rang hospital, got another question, thanks so far.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 03:40:22 PM »

Maybe ring your local Hospital and ask the question  :-\.  Your GP may be out of date, they may have been withdrawn in your area due to a lack of staff to man the machines, or he may be trying to cut costs!

thanks Ladies for your reply
I chose CLKD's option as I don't have money for private, but thanks for suggestion.
The sister on the ward said that they do still do scans and that I had been given incorrect information.
I now don't know what my next step is if the GP is going to refuse me a referral for a scan.
Would love some help, thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

See a different GP.  Or the Practice Nurse? 

bear

Hi Dandelion,

Uterine scans are no longer considered reliable for what, exactly? No single method is perfect for endometrial assessment and a combination of methods is often necessary, including transvaginal ultrasound scanning. Simply stating they are no longer reliable is far from scientific or reasonable. Maybe this GP was referring to your particular situation, no need for another uterine scan post hysteroscopy?

BeaR.

Dandelion

Hi Dandelion,

Uterine scans are no longer considered reliable for what, exactly? No single method is perfect for endometrial assessment and a combination of methods is often necessary, including transvaginal ultrasound scanning. Simply stating they are no longer reliable is far from scientific or reasonable. Maybe this GP was referring to your particular situation, no need for another uterine scan post hysteroscopy?

BeaR.
Hi Bear
She said they had stopped doing them because they were unreliable.
Dr Currie knows I had hysteroscopy but suggested I needed a scan for further investigation.

jaycee

I would change your Dr,they don't always tell the truth, i was told certain blood tests for iron had been changed,or at least the results level and they have not at all
If not not telling the truth your Dr shouldn't make statements like that,if he isn't sure he should make enquieies himself,i would be fuming

Dandelion

I would change your Dr,they don't always tell the truth, i was told certain blood tests for iron had been changed,or at least the results level and they have not at all
If not not telling the truth your Dr shouldn't make statements like that,if he isn't sure he should make enquieies himself,i would be fuming
Dr Currie actually spoke to that Doctor and they had a good conversation, but yes, I have been given wrong information.
I failed to tell Dr Currie in my first email the reason the doctor said the scans have been stopped, and replied to her to tell her but have not yet received a reply.
Dr Currie feels bad because I keep paying fees to ask her questions, and she felt she had had enough fees of me. She replied using her personal email which is why there was a delay in replying as it had got missed as she is very busy.
I don't know if this latest reply will get missed, in which i told her the reason why the scans had been stopped.
I wonder if I should raise another paid email with her to tell her that the doctor she spoke to gave me wrong information and that I confirmed with a ward sister on the gynae ward at the hospital that they still do scans.
I don't want to be a nuiscance but I would really like to know Dr Currie's feedback on me being given wrong information by a doctor, do you think I should send Dr Currie an email to say I spoke to the hospital who said they still did scans and tell her the doctor she spoke to gave me wrong information?
Thanks

Hurdity

Hi Dandelion - I don;t think you need to contact DR Currie about this. I mean I wouldn;t have thought there is anything she can answer or advise beyond what she already has done.

The thing is you've had a scan showing a slightly thickened lining, and you've had a hysteroscopy which showed no medical issue you need to worry about so either the bleeding is because you are not yet post-menopause so this is your cycle coming through (the continuous progesterone) or if you are post-meno it just is not sufficient to completely protect the endometrium. Not sure you need another scan - depending on when you had it done?

In order to help stop the bleeding like you were advised - you would either have to reduce oestrogen - which brings a return of flushes, or increase progesterone. Have you gone down that route ( with your doc)? ie increase in prog? You could for example increase to 200 mg daily, or you could take your 100 mg vaginally (which is more effective in protecting the endometrium). The other alternative is to take 100 mg one day and 200 mg the next which would you approx a constant dose ( better if vaginally though).

The other alternative is take a course of a different progestogen (as well as keep taking the progesterone as normal as you like to do) for a couple of weeks eg norethisterone - and then get a good bleed to thin the lining and hopefully this would stop the bleeding for a while. Maybe do something like this every quarter or 6 months to keep the lining thin? Doc would need to be on board with this - and  this might be a bit off the wall as an idea?

These are just my non-expert suggestions based on my understanding of what you've said and how the hormones work generally.

Hurdity x

Dandelion

Hi Dandelion - I don;t think you need to contact DR Currie about this. I mean I wouldn;t have thought there is anything she can answer or advise beyond what she already has done.

The thing is you've had a scan showing a slightly thickened lining, and you've had a hysteroscopy which showed no medical issue you need to worry about so either the bleeding is because you are not yet post-menopause so this is your cycle coming through (the continuous progesterone) or if you are post-meno it just is not sufficient to completely protect the endometrium. Not sure you need another scan - depending on when you had it done?

In order to help stop the bleeding like you were advised - you would either have to reduce oestrogen - which brings a return of flushes, or increase progesterone. Have you gone down that route ( with your doc)? ie increase in prog? You could for example increase to 200 mg daily, or you could take your 100 mg vaginally (which is more effective in protecting the endometrium). The other alternative is to take 100 mg one day and 200 mg the next which would you approx a constant dose ( better if vaginally though).

The other alternative is take a course of a different progestogen (as well as keep taking the progesterone as normal as you like to do) for a couple of weeks eg norethisterone - and then get a good bleed to thin the lining and hopefully this would stop the bleeding for a while. Maybe do something like this every quarter or 6 months to keep the lining thin? Doc would need to be on board with this - and  this might be a bit off the wall as an idea?

These are just my non-expert suggestions based on my understanding of what you've said and how the hormones work generally.

Hurdity x
Hi Hurdity - Thanks for your reply, now that the ward sister had given me correct information I wanted to know what Dr Currie's response would be to me being given wrong information by the GP she spoke to?

I had the scan in January this year and the hysteroscopy.
I'm 53 so I would have thought I would be post menopause. My sisters are 54 and 55 and they were post meno at 52.

As the micronised progesterone I am on (100mg vaginally and 100mg orally) is cross-tolerant to the valium I am on, any change in delivery of the micronised progesterone or change in progestin would disrupt my GABA receptors causing chaos making my mental health much much worse.

In August, my GP already reduced the oestrogen from 100mcg to 75mcg and I get bad night sweats, even this time of year, I had bad IBS when I was on less oestrogen, it cleared up as I went up in dose when I started my hrt originally.
I don't want the IBS back, it was terrible, watery stools, and all the complications that brings.

Increasing the progesterone is not an option as it would be like a valium increase, neither is taking it unevenly as it needs to be kept even, with it being cross tolerant to valium, as an unstable GABA agonist would cause havoc with my GABA receptors.

I feel really bad negating your suggestions, as you have kindly come on and made the effort to give me helpful advice.

Hurdity

Dandelion - please don't feel bad - I'm happy for any suggestions to be negated - and you do it so nicely  ::) . I'm only sorry I can't offer anything helpful. I didn't know that synthetic progestins also bind to those GABA receptors. I know that the synthetic progestins vary in their other effects outside the endometrium. I'm too tired to look at this now...ie it would take a while to look them up but I expect you will know about this anyway  - re the different progestins?

I hope you manage to find a solution that sorts out the bleeding but causing you the least disruption.

Hurdity x

Dandelion

Dandelion - please don't feel bad - I'm happy for any suggestions to be negated - and you do it so nicely  ::) . I'm only sorry I can't offer anything helpful. I didn't know that synthetic progestins also bind to those GABA receptors. I know that the synthetic progestins vary in their other effects outside the endometrium. I'm too tired to look at this now...ie it would take a while to look them up but I expect you will know about this anyway  - re the different progestins?

I hope you manage to find a solution that sorts out the bleeding but causing you the least disruption.

Hurdity x
Thank you for your kind post.

yellowflower

By "uterine scan", do you mean transvaginal ultrasound? I had one last year and they found a 16mm thick uterine lining.

Dandelion

By "uterine scan", do you mean transvaginal ultrasound? I had one last year and they found a 16mm thick uterine lining.
Sorry you had such a thick womb lining.
I did mean a trans vaginal ultrasound.
Pages: [1] 2