Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cloud of Doom  (Read 3375 times)

Sad Sally

Re: Cloud of Doom
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »

Thank you ladies for all the advice, I do realise I am putting to much pressure on myself to sleep.  Going to try 7 nights of taking general sleeping tabs , 1/2 for 2 nights and 5 of a 1/4, hopefully this will get me back to a sleep routine.

I am confused by the stages of menopause, I have not had a period in about 14 months, can be a bit hot and clammy in bed ( throw the duvet off and stick a leg out) I am very stresses and anxious and obviously can't sleep, am I menopause or perimenopase? 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 09:48:11 PM »

Hi.
Your classed Postmenopause when you haven't had a period for 12 months.
So it seems you are..😉

Sad Sally

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2019, 10:36:50 AM »

Forgot to mention earlier that it was GP that recommended this site to me .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »

Sometimes too we doze without being aware of it.  Short bursts but it helps if we feel rested when the alarm goes off.  Do you rely on an alarm?

Well done on your GP  :medal:

Think about your over-all day
Think about your diet and drink intake
Think about any exercise you get and when

..... and breath.  Have you tried the relaxation therapy in bed?

squeaker99

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2019, 02:41:11 PM »

Hi Sad Sally. I read loads of books/Apps about how to sleep when I had a bad patch last spring. Most of it is
common sense and it is easy to think of nothing else when you are tired and anxious.

A couple of tips I remember which I find useful.
1. When in bed tell your brain you are not allowed to go to sleep. You have to keep your eyes wide open for a least 10 minutes/ count to 500.  It is much better than closing your eyes and just hoping you will sleep.

2. Imagine you are in a room of very sleepy people who are all yawning and talking about how sleepy they are. Some are snoozing, others are stretching and yawning. 

3. Talk to yourself in your ' internal voice' in a very slow, sleepy way. e.g. Go through a Christmas list or shopping list in a slow, sleepy voice. Put a mental ' yawn' in.

You have to really go for the above but they do make a difference for me.

The bottom line for me was time though. When your hormones are swinging it is hard to get into that chilled mode. It is just a phase though , just not a very nice one.

Sad Sally

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 06:53:39 PM »

Debbie downer again,   Been on hrt Femoston Conti  0.5/ 2.5 for almost 4 weeks, only thing I have noticed is the clammy nights have gone, I’m still struggling with anxiety and I guess depression,  but the real killer is the lack of sleep, is it too early to go back to the dr ?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:58:42 PM by Sad Sally »

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »

Maybe have a chat with the practice nurse?  Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary?  Something to talk with the medics to chart progress. 

Sleep can be problematic during peri...  A good bed time routine is important, regular exercise or simply sitting in a quiet place to watch nature.  Eat well, keep hydrated.  If you don't get to sleep then read; make a cuppa; ironing; when do you find yourself waking?

Sad Sally

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 08:52:31 PM »

I have a wee diary that I have kept for the last months, it is mainly my moods  that I have noted.  I have very little appetite, but am eating healthy, but the weight is falling off me. 
I have a early start  due to work ( up at 6.30am) I am mostly waken between 2 and 4 am, sometimes I can drift off to sleep, others not, I feel I am never in a deep sleep, just dozing.   I have been awake since 2.30am today, have had a warm bath and taken myself off to bed. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:58:19 PM by Sad Sally »

Wilks

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 07:42:27 AM »

Hi, I'm 51 and about 3 years ago I had awful problems with anxiety and sleep for several months. I was down to one hour of sleep a night and felt suicidal. No amount of mindfulness was helping at that point!
HRT helped, but I also needed fluoxetine to get me out of the abyss that I felt I had fallen into. I normally do a lot of sport but I was struggling to find the energy.
What also really helps my mood is being outdoors in nature, and riding my bike. Drawing is also a relaxing thing for me.
I hope you're feeling better soon x

squeaker99

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2019, 12:10:39 PM »

Like Wilks just to say that I had awful insomnia issues on and off for around 2 years.
(Not constant, I would have 3-4 months I was fine then two weeks awful). It was definitely hormone related and
my anxiety at the time was bad too - I had a mental loop of angst and worry. 

Just to say there IS light at the end of the tunnel. As my periods started to have longer gaps
my sleep patters are much improved and I feel calmer all round during the say. So hang on it
there and try to tell yourself ' this will pass'. Don't fight it, just accept it. (Easy to say!)

I found to get rid of the excess adrenaline going for jogs/walks the day after I had a bad night did help.
I also found a sympathetic GP which helped get it in perspective and took some GP sleeping tabs for a limited
time to re-set my sleep.

Sad Sally

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 01:58:54 PM »

Bless you ladies for responding to this thread, I truly appreciate you taking the time to reassure me.
I had a terrible night last night only around 2 hours sleep.   Got a GP appointment this morning,  I explained all my woes and said that the anxiety and insomnia was my biggest issue, as I am only on week 4 of HRT she has told me to keep going, but has also prescribed AD Mirtazapine 15mg to take 1/2 hrs before bed, it will take about 2 weeks to get the full affect but hopefully it will lift my mood a little and sleep more soundly and longer ....  all things crossed  :-*

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 02:31:30 PM »

Worth trying!  Anything to get good quality sleep.

Continue with the HRT.  It can take 3-4 months to feel benefit.

Pages: 1 [2]