Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cloud of Doom  (Read 3374 times)

Sad Sally

Cloud of Doom
« on: November 27, 2019, 09:36:33 AM »

Hi everyone,

I am 52 and thought this Menopause was a piece of cake. No periods (18 months) , hot, flushes, slept like a baby and was a very easy going fun loving person full of the joys that life had to offer.

That was then....... this is now

Anxiety, stress, sleepless nights no interest in family, friends and all the things that gave me joy.  So many tears have been shed.

I went to see my GP as the dark hole of despair was getting deeper and darker.   I actually thought that I had depression, I was actually surprised when she said I was on the menopause ( I naively thought that I had been there, done that , got the tee shirt ) 

She has put me on HRT (Femoston)   its day 19 and I actually feel the cloud of doom lifting slightly.   Last night I got 5 hours constant sleep ( first time in months) :) 

I have found that sites like this help so much, I know I am not alone or going mad. Its lovely reading others stories and the support that is shared. 

I know I will get their and be the person I was, It will take time and be a few backward steps as I go.  Talking to others has helped greatly.  I am taking each day as it comes .

Thank you ladies 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cloud of Doom
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 10:08:39 AM »

:welcomemm:

You are lucky that your GP recognises your symptoms.  The body doesn't get where it is suddenly unless due to hysterectomy so it till take a few weeks to uptake the HRT.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.

HORMONES  >:(  ::) can make us feel awful however natural menopause might be!

Browse round.

Sad Sally

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 10:30:11 AM »

Hi

Yes i was so luck with my GP, she explained all the positives and negatives about HRT,  she was so understanding.

How long does it take for the benifits of HRT to work ?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 01:27:16 PM »

It does vary on how bad symptoms have been ........ how long is a length of string  ::)

Browse round.  Make notes.  Have lots of 'me' time where possible.  We have threads on exercise, dogs, weather, holidays: we talk about menopause too  ;D.  Decide which symptom you would like to ease first, put it into the search box and see what pops up.

Hang onto the GP  :medal:

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 08:43:25 PM »

Hi Sad sally
 :welcomemm: glad you've found us.
I'm on femoston conti too, and it's the best I've ever used.
So glad to hear your starting to feel better, it'll take a bit to fully make you feel good again, maybe 3/5 months, if your lucky, but as it's already making it's mark on you, then maybe you've hit jackpot.
Keep going, and keep posting, let us know how your getting on.
Good luck...

Jd xx

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 11:21:46 PM »

Welcome from me too Sally.

Taz x   :welcomemm:

Kay1971

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 01:01:53 PM »

Hi . I'm new here too :)  Its actually reassuring to read that it takes a while for the medication to kick in.  I'm on day 15 and not feeling too much difference as yet.  I'll give it time!  I'm with you on the sleep ... I cant remember the last time I had a full night uninterrupted x

Sad Sally

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 01:43:51 PM »

Sleep really is a killer for me, I found a recording on You Tube - Paul McKenan Sleep, Played it on Tuesday night and fell asleep before it finished.   Last night tried it again, no success didn't get to sleep till 3am.  I am very emotional today, my anxieties are starting to rise again, possibly cause I am tired.   I think I am putting to much pressure on myself to sleep, I need to try and just let it happen. I have not even finished my third week of HRT, I realise I need to give it time. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 02:14:44 PM »

Hi Kay1971

Glad youve  found us. Ask anything you like, someone's always on to offer advice and support...
Oh and  :welcomemm:

Jd xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 02:21:12 PM »

Sad Sally - you expected it to work so your mind was in a hyper-expectant state! 

Sad Sally

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 02:54:58 PM »

I am loving all the support and advice this site has to offer. 
Thank you ladies,
I would welcome any advice on how to get a nights sleep X

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 03:06:02 PM »

Stop worrying?   Crass but it worked for me in the 1990s.  I had 8 years busy job, full on.  Didn't get a good night's sleep in the 1980s.  One night I woke and thought 'being awake hasn't killed me yet' and in general, have slept well since.  When I get nights that are up and down, I can accept it more as I can catch up the next night.

Also do relaxation exercises and have a sleep routine.

squeaker99

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 06:07:24 PM »

Hi Sad Sally. I have had 2-3 years of sleep issues during Peri.  I really sympathise, it's a wretched place to be and you feel no one understands.   That combined with an over all increase in anxiety morphed into health anxiety. For me the two weeks before a period was particularly bad. Looking back (after a recent good 4 month stretch of ' back to normal' sleep) - there was very little I could do which really helped.   I read every book, did Mindfullness, took long walks, Googled sleep, gave up caffeine & booze, got sleep Apps.   I became obsessed with sleep during the day. I saw GP after GP in tears. I had 10 days with almost no sleep at all.  I turned a corner when a young GP said ' look, it won't kill you, your body will sleep when it needs to'.  He was right. My hormones / cortisol were just in such a ' flight' state that I wasn't sleepy.   I ended up taking GP sleeping tablets for a run of 7 days; half for the first two days then 1/4 for the rest.  For me that re-set my body and sleep patterns. Also getting up is key. Don't stew in bed.  Or I make myself keep my eyes open and count back from 300.       I have had nights, a run of days every 4 months or so when it comes back but know now I can handle it better.  Of course being a Peri woman I go to the loo at 3am every night.  But you are not alone, insomnia is very common 40+

squeaker99

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 06:13:30 PM »

P.S. Also if you don't sleep well keep up the exercise/walks however tired you are during the next day.  Last summer I had a run of bad nights but made myself go for a jog - I literally sprinted for 6 miles super fast without stopping! I had so much pent up adrenaline.
Remember. This is cr**p but this is normal.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 06:18:58 PM »

Also - if you can, sleep in the day.  Usually I don't dream in the day so it is more restful.  Once my brain switches off I drop off  ::)

I had a couple of nights this week so laid listening to the house settling, DH's snoozing noises, or read. 
Pages: [1] 2