Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Estradiol without Progestogen with uterus????  (Read 1200 times)

kimdb

• First Flush
Estradiol without Progestogen with uterus????
« on: November 26, 2019, 06:53:14 AM »

Hi thanks for letting me join this helpful forum.  As my Evorel Conti is unavailable at the moment in the UK via the NHS a stand-in doctor said the latest advise they are offering women is to try just the Estradiol gel on its own as after recent research on HRT he said it is safer (Im 54 with Uterus and been on hrt 2.5 years). On getting home and googling Estradiol to find out about it, everywhere says it must be taken with progesterone!!  He didn't say anything about his and now Im doubting he gave me correct advise, this is what I read online: "Because percutaneous estradiol stimulates the endometrium, women with an intact uterus should also take a progestogen".   

Has anybody else been told to use Estradiol alone who has a uterus - to me is sounds against medical advice?  Would love to hear from you.

Dotty

Re: Estradiol without Progestogen with uterus????
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 07:33:26 AM »

Hi yes you need progesterone with the Oestrogel if you still have a womb.

Your doctor should have prescribed you utrogestan or Provera x

kimdb

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 07:42:49 AM »

Thank you Dotty, that's as I suspected, Im really angry with him, I disputed many things he tried to tell me and I wish I knew this at the time. Luckily I have an appointment with my own GP in a few weeks. 

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 07:52:01 AM »

It might be worth ringing the surgery and explaining that you have been given an incorrect prescription and ask them to prescribe the Utrogestan now. X

kimdb

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 08:45:27 AM »

It might be worth ringing the surgery and explaining that you have been given an incorrect prescription and ask them to prescribe the Utrogestan now. X
Yes I have an appointment soon with usual GP and will be discussing it.  My normal Evorel Conti was unavailable due to the issues, so this was what the not very good stand in doctor said to try.  I managed to get Evorel Conti from Superdrug Online Doctor so haven't started the Estradiol yet luckily. 

Butterfly22

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 09:43:27 AM »

This happened with a lady I know.
She always went on how helpful the lady doctor was and a good friend ect, when she told me she was on the patch I said which progesterone do you take and she didn't know what I was on about.
I explained she should be taking a separate progesterone with her patch so she called the doctors who confirmed they made a mistake.
So just goes to show doctors do not always get it right. Xx

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 02:51:32 PM »

Hi kimdb

:welcomemm:

This is once again - shocking - the level of ignorance.  If you feel up to it - please report this stand-in doctor to someone at the practice ( senior doctor?). Not sure what the procedure is - was it a locum or another doc in the practice?

As the shortages are widespread he is potentially putting other female patients in danger by prescibing oestrogen only to women with a uterus, through ignorance, and he and the practice need to know. He is getting confused possibly with the WHI results which looked at breast cancer risk for women on oestrogen only - but these were women who had had a hysterectomy!!! A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

Hurdity x

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 04:42:29 PM »

I agree with Hurdity, this is dangerous and he needs to know before he puts anyone else at risk.