Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Stupid Question.....  (Read 1175 times)

Uniquorn

Stupid Question.....
« on: November 24, 2019, 04:36:23 PM »

I have a Mirena and my periods are absent due to it. I have been using Mirena for 16yrs.

My stupid question is, how will I know when I'm in Meno? I have been having some symptoms, night sweats (unsure if it's that or I'm just too hot but I'm waking up covered in sweat) and I am suffering with spots on my face, around my mouth, that seem to come from deep within my skin. Can I have bloods to determine my hormonal state with the coil in?

I'm almost 49, I use Vagifem for a condition unrelated to meno.

Thanks all.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Stupid Question.....
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 04:42:21 PM »

Hi!

Why would you use 'vagifem' ............  :-\. do read our threads on vaginal atrophy.  Make notes  ;D

:welcomemm:

Sounds like hormonal upheaval.  Where are you in terms of length of Mirena, is it due to be changed?

Nothing is stupid, silly, un-necessary here.  If an issue is bothersome, ask !

Uniquorn

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 07:22:57 PM »

I use Vagifem because I have a precancerous condition and the Vagifem helps the skin there remain healthy, plump and keeps me comfortable. I do not have VA.

This particular Mirena has been in less than a year, but it's the fourth one I've had.

Uniquorn

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 07:28:05 PM »

To be clear, I don't have a problem with my use of Vagifem.

My question was regarding how to recognise meno symptoms when my periods are already absent and whether I can request, and have, bloods when the Mirena is in situ.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 07:43:26 PM »

Hi Uniquorn - not a stupid question at all. It sounds like your oestrogen levels have dropped quite considerably and you're now getting classic meno symptoms. I don't think you're using any form of oestrogen hrt as you didn't mention it, but you might like to consider that now. The chin and jawline spots are always an indication to me that my testosterone/oestrogen balance is out of whack, ie. your oestrogen has dropped and your testosterone level isn't being balanced by it. The Mirena progestin is also testosterone based and so it's a bit of a double whammy ie. spots and usually more hair on the face. The night sweats are also pretty classic low e symptoms.

You could ask your GP for a sex hormone blood test but these aren't always terribly accurate, saying that, if your E levels are very low, you'll know on the test. The only other option is to ask your doc for low dose oestrogen hrt. Once you start using it, if the symptoms disappear, you've cracked it, if they don't, you might have to increase dose.

The great thing in your case, is that with a Mirena you can add oestrogen and increase until you get your sweet spot without any worry as your Mirena is protecting your womb nicely.

Keep posting if you're confused, it can be a bit of a head mess this meno business.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 08:07:52 PM »

:thankyou:

Some find it helpful to keep a mood/food/diary to chart progress.  It's easy to believe that we feel rotten all the while  :-\.  Taking a list to an appt with a Nurse Practitioner, practice Nurse or GP can be helpful too.

'vagifem' works well ;-).

Blood tests for hormone levels are reliably un-reliable  ::).  Might be worth while asking though to get a base line.

Let us know how you get on!

Uniquorn

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 10:11:46 PM »

Hi Uniquorn - not a stupid question at all. It sounds like your oestrogen levels have dropped quite considerably and you're now getting classic meno symptoms. I don't think you're using any form of oestrogen hrt as you didn't mention it, but you might like to consider that now. The chin and jawline spots are always an indication to me that my testosterone/oestrogen balance is out of whack, ie. your oestrogen has dropped and your testosterone level isn't being balanced by it. The Mirena progestin is also testosterone based and so it's a bit of a double whammy ie. spots and usually more hair on the face. The night sweats are also pretty classic low e symptoms.

You could ask your GP for a sex hormone blood test but these aren't always terribly accurate, saying that, if your E levels are very low, you'll know on the test. The only other option is to ask your doc for low dose oestrogen hrt. Once you start using it, if the symptoms disappear, you've cracked it, if they don't, you might have to increase dose.

The great thing in your case, is that with a Mirena you can add oestrogen and increase until you get your sweet spot without any worry as your Mirena is protecting your womb nicely.

Keep posting if you're confused, it can be a bit of a head mess this meno business.

Thank you! That was such an informative reply!
I'm seeing the Gyn who is looking after me regarding the precancerous condition so if I can wait til then I will, 14/02/20 - how romantic lol, otherwise I might pop along to the GP.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 11:42:14 PM »

No problem Uniquorn - hope things go well for you at the next gynae appointment. Strangely, not all gynaes are well versed in hrt, although you might be lucky with yours but I had one who referred me elsewhere as she didn't advise on hrt so ask to be referred to a meno clinic if yours can't help.

Good luck.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 09:10:33 AM »

I have a Mirena and my periods are absent due to it. I have been using Mirena for 16yrs.

My stupid question is, how will I know when I'm in Meno? I have been having some symptoms, night sweats (unsure if it's that or I'm just too hot but I'm waking up covered in sweat) and I am suffering with spots on my face, around my mouth, that seem to come from deep within my skin. Can I have bloods to determine my hormonal state with the coil in?

I'm almost 49, I use Vagifem for a condition unrelated to meno.

Thanks all.

This is a very sensible question wondered by most woemn who are taking any form of hormones which affect their periods or who have had a hysterectomy - since the classic sign of menopause is usually cycle change, combined with age and symptoms.

Ovulation is sometimes suppressed with a Mirena coil  which would depress oestrogen levels if you were one of those women - but your age combined with your symptoms ( the classic night sweats are typiccal) wold indicate that peri-menopause is most likely.

Follicel Stimulating Hormone levels ( FSH) can be measured with the coil in so if raised, would add support to your suspicion of menopause being the cause so by all means do ask you doc for this test, in the absence of a menstrual cycle. Measuring oestrogen levels won't tell you very much at all so there is little point in having these done - since - if ovulation is not suppressed, you won't know where in your cycle you are so you could get a high reading or low reading depending on this.

Do go along to your doc saying you suspect peri-menopause and ask for an FSH test, although don't rule out peri-menopause if it turns out to be low.  You could then try a low dose oestrogen ( eg 25 mcg patch if you can get hold of one!) to start with and as kilted cupid says if it helps with your symptoms then great. Depending on how long your Mirena has been in it might have to be replaced. Four years is the usual period of time for menopausal purposes although some gynaes allow 5 years.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Uniquorn

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 08:50:21 PM »

Thank you Hurdity, that is very good advice. I'm so grateful for your time in responding.

I think I ought to make an apt with the GP, especially as the gyn I see isn't a referral due to meno but because of the condition I have, plus I'm not seeing him for another 3 months. I see him 6monthly for vulvoscopy to monitor the condition.

yellowflower

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 09:32:04 PM »

I had a hysterectomy during peri and kept my ovaries. That was in May 2018. In the last 6 months, I have noticed a few things that make me think I have transitioned to menopause at 54 years of age. My hair is slightly more grey, I am having PVC's all of a sudden leading to an ecg and holter monitor. I have a few nights when I feel very hot, but not to the point of sweating. It is hard when you don't have periods as a guide, but I think you will probably know.