Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Seeing a GP  (Read 1249 times)

Donnadoobie

Seeing a GP
« on: November 17, 2019, 08:54:46 AM »

UK PEOPLE

I have been trying to see a GP at our local surgery for a few weeks but it is really difficult to get an appointment right now, as they are really short staffed.
 I want to go and discuss the possibility of medication for VA.  I really would like to see a female GP but cannot see one of the two that work from the surgery, as I am her childminder, for her three children and although she is lovely, we have had a chat about it being better so see another GP for more intimate problems.  They other female GP is good, I saw her for some concerns in the early summer, she has since been on a sabbatical and returned and is helping out in one of the practices other surgeries ( three surgery practice). Two males, one is off sick and the other, well to be honest would be a waste of time, so it is usually a locum.  Not great.

I have just read in here that somebody went to see a private GP.  does anyone have experience of this and would it be worth it?   I am thinking that hormone levels need to be tested and checked for VA and also I have worries about possible LS.  seems like a big expense but I really feel I need to see some body, I have seen two GP's and a womans's physio in the last 6 months but don't feel as if I am getting anywhere.

Sparrow

Re: Seeing a GP
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 09:01:59 AM »

Can you not go to one of the other surgeries?  Our practice has two surgeries and we can go to either.

Donnadoobie

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 09:03:43 AM »

Not sure Shadyglade, will look into it. Thanks

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »

Blood tests are notoriously inaccurate and not needed to get treatment for VA, I am wondering if the practice nurse could have a look for you if you explain the doctor issue.

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 04:52:22 PM »

I saw a locum when I started on vagifem  He was great - best doctor so far.  It is the luck of the draw.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »

Do you have a Nurse Practitioner who can prescribe?

What's the hurry?  Make an appt. to see a GP ............. or ring and ask for appropriate treatment?  I never need to wait any longer than 5 days to see 'my' GP and 24 hours to see one of the others.  Nurse can be seen the next day.

Mogster71

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 05:12:13 PM »

So so difficult at the moment with GPs :(

Do you have a nurse practitioner at the surgery? Or maybe even one of the senior nurses who carry out the smears, etc? You can generally get an appointment quicker than seeing a GP. It could be that they can go to the GP with a recommendation for VA treatment once they've checked you out.

Sorry, no experience of a private GP but thought this was worth a shout...

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 06:40:26 PM »

One shouldn't have to pay!  Can you register as a visitor at another surgery?

Some GPs who did their training in the 1970s/80s are retiring.  The slow minded Governments haven't kept up even though they have been told that by the year 2010 numbers all be dropping and not many trainees are opting for GP careers.  Morale is low.  It's OK for each government to tell the public that they will help the NHS by X, Y, Z but it ain't happening.  It takes years to train Nurses and Doctors and those in-between years don't seem to be taken into account with money is suddenly found ....... one cannot fill gaps that easily  :-\

But the Governments simply won't listen.   :'(

Donnadoobie

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 06:46:52 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I think I will make an appointment with a nurse practitioner, or ask to be seen at another surgery. 

There is no rush really as I am ticking along with my YES VM, and just when I feel I don't need to go to the GP, everything is under control, I get a little sore or feel that things are not right.  It could all be anxiety, as I did not feel like this before a bad anxiety attack in May/June. 

Never had my nether regions looked at so much!  ;D 

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 06:50:42 PM »

You are quite familiar with down there then  ::)

Don't wait.  Get the VA treatment ASAP!

Donnadoobie

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 10:01:18 AM »

I have managed to get an appointment on 5th December with a female GP.