Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Housing plans - I need to rant  (Read 8835 times)

Sparrow

Re: Housing plans - I need to rant
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2019, 05:04:36 PM »

Found this for you CLKD.  Took some searching.

Although housing and housing rights as such are not formally a European Union competence, there are still several tools at EU level which relate in one way or another to the right to housing. These include the:

EU Charter of Fundamental Rights
Treaty of the EU
Anti-discrimination legislation
EU Agency for Fundamental Rights

http://housingrightswatch.org/page/eu-housing-rights

Nothing to do with quotas though. ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2019, 06:24:41 PM »

:thankyou:  not getting on with the jigsaw then  ;D

Sparrow

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2019, 06:55:01 PM »

I've nearly done the edging.  :)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2019, 07:28:15 PM »

Those turned out by Idi Amin had British Passports.   :-\ as did many from Kenya over the years ....... and many have done jobs in the UK that locals wouldn't take on. 

Those living on Support are often a drain too, many never having worked or paid into the system.  Now into 3rd/4th generations of households not working but living on Support.  But still expecting free housing, health care, supplemented LA taxes .........

The problem has been no border control.  So many peoples come/go without being counted in/out .......... but the net migration is apparently down according to today's News.

Correction CLKD.  Most of them had British passports but not all of them.  Leicester alone took 10,000 Ugandan Asians most of whom were well educated and hardworking as I said earlier. 

they had anything of value taken off them before they left Uganda although many of them told me that they had buried money, jewellery etc and vowed to one day go back and find it.  I have often wondered whether they did. 

CLKD

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2019, 07:32:03 PM »

How many pieces Shadyglade?

PF - I sit corrected  :-X

Sparrow

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2019, 07:36:07 PM »

1000 so should keep me quiet for a bit.

CLKD

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2019, 07:56:54 PM »

In 1999 we were given 1 with 6,000 pieces  ??? still in the box .  The idea was to put a large table in the garage but those 'plans' went astray when I bought a camper van  ;D ..........

sheila99

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »

The migration figures aren't as comforting as they sound, it was still 226,000. Plus a presumably unknown number illegals (probably a lot more than anyone imagined, the 39 sadly found dead in the lorry was supposedly in Fleet of 3 lorries, circa 100 people in just one drop). So another 100,000 houses just for them then.
 We've lived on foreign workers in the NHS for many years. It's beyond me why no one thought before to train more of our own people to be doctors or nurses. There's no shortage of people wanting to be doctors.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2019, 05:39:20 PM »

The migration figures aren't as comforting as they sound, it was still 226,000. Plus a presumably unknown number illegals (probably a lot more than anyone imagined, the 39 sadly found dead in the lorry was supposedly in Fleet of 3 lorries, circa 100 people in just one drop). So another 100,000 houses just for them then.
 We've lived on foreign workers in the NHS for many years. It's beyond me why no one thought before to train more of our own people to be doctors or nurses. There's no shortage of people wanting to be doctors.

I agree with you Sheila.  One of my oldest friends is West Indian and she came here in the early 50s  as a small child.  Her Mum was a nurse and came to work here as were several of her Aunts.  the West Indies supplied many, many nurses for this country. 

There has long been far too few training courses for our own young people to enter the medical profession.  Why haven't any government just got on with it rather than bringing them in from other countries like West Indies, Portugal, Spain, India?  Makes no sense to me either especially since there is often a language barrier. 

CLKD

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »

People have to have a Degree now, one can't walk into an Auxillary job as they no longer exist.  That was the way in for many Nurses, who decided that they liked Nursing and could begin a career.  Of course machinery has improved in leaps and bounds and not many wanted or could monitor some of the very detailed machines so decided not to go into Nursing.  NHS morale is low too, not encouraging either.

People don't get housed immediately they enter the UK but are held in Centres to be processed. 

sheila99

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2019, 06:36:17 PM »

IMO making nursing equivalent to a degree was a big mistake. There are many skills you need to be good nurse - caring, empathetic, attention to detail, observant - the ability to solve quadratic equations isn't one of them.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2019, 02:12:28 PM »

People have to have a Degree now, one can't walk into an Auxillary job as they no longer exist.  That was the way in for many Nurses, who decided that they liked Nursing and could begin a career.  Of course machinery has improved in leaps and bounds and not many wanted or could monitor some of the very detailed machines so decided not to go into Nursing.  NHS morale is low too, not encouraging either.

People don't get housed immediately they enter the UK but are held in Centres to be processed.

I can't see what that's got to do with anything CLKD.  If they need a degree, they need a degree whatever country they come from.  We should be training more nurses in our own country.

CLKD

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2019, 02:17:21 PM »

PF - you seem to have missed my point.  Many are not choosing nursing as a career because they need a Degree ........ instead of entering at a basic level and deciding to carry on taking their SE and SRN certs..   Having a Degree does not a carer make.

sheila99 - it was a HUGE mistake.  Got rid of a level of caring.  Means that the level of auxiliary was never filled because there was a gap whilst people had to do their Degrees. 

Nurses entering the UK do not usually require Degree level. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2019, 02:22:54 PM »

PF - you seem to have missed my point.  Many are not choosing nursing as a career because they need a Degree ........ instead of entering at a basic level and deciding to carry on taking their SE and SRN certs..   Having a Degree does not a carer make.

sheila99 - it was a HUGE mistake.  Got rid of a level of caring.  Means that the level of auxiliary was never filled because there was a gap whilst people had to do their Degrees. 

Nurses entering the UK do not usually require Degree level.

No I didn't miss the point. 

I agree with you both, it was a big mistake making nurses have a degree.   

There are still Healthcare Assistants who do the kind of job Auxiliary Nurses did years ago.

Your last sentence surely cannot be right or it makes a mockery of our nurses needing degrees.

CLKD

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »

Well, those that I am in contact with that come from the Philippines etc. don't need Degrees, the UK is so short that they can work here without for a few years B4 returning 'home'.

When my sister and her husband went to Canada, he had a job but had to re-sit many of the Degrees he had already obtained here in the UK!  She didn't bother ........
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6