Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Housing plans - I need to rant  (Read 8832 times)

Sparrow

Re: Housing plans - I need to rant
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2019, 01:46:02 PM »

We build more houses .  Simples :)
How short sighted can you get? Perhaps you don't care about the countryside and the environment but some of us do.
I'm glad you've admitted that's the reason why we're building thousands more houses though.

Don't quite get your last point.  No point in building houses that are not needed.  ???

sheila99

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2019, 02:11:36 PM »

We build more houses 🏘.  Simples :)
How short sighted can you get? You obviously don't care about the countryside and the environment but some of us do.

Sheila99, just because I disagree with you there is no need to be rude ::)

I live in a far more densely populated area than you do and only around 8% of the UK is built on.  People need houses, end of in my opinion.
It wasn't your opinion I objected to, you're entitled to think anything you like. It's that you denied the inescapable fact that millions of immigrants is resulting in rampant house building.
You make it sound as though there's plenty of land left. There isn't.  We're already less than 50% self sufficient in food and the land they're building on is all the best, most productive land. In terms of food production it can produce many times more than the uplands that are left. ATM we can import food but with a rising world population and more catastrophic climate events that won't always be the case
 I edited the post above before I saw this reply. I changed 'obvious' to 'perhaps'. If you live in an urban environment perhaps you don't see the impact it's having on the countryside.
to answer your latest point - when I said we have million of immigrants who need housing you said the answer is we build more houses, so it seems you do understand that immigrants = house building.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2019, 02:13:21 PM »

Building more appropriate houses, maybe?  In small groups to generate a feeling of community.  It is said that when the tenements etc. were pulled down, people lost contact with each other and a specific way of Life.

Net migration is down.  Therefore less requirement for new houses.  There are many 1,000s for sale and/or empty across the UK, many with absent Landlords.  There are many that have been bought by Arabs that stand empty ........ OK those are out of most persons' pockets but the fact remains.

I couldn't live in a flat.  Don't like heights  ;D nor would I live anywhere without a garden.  Or allotments. 

Stellajane - there is no designated 'old age' apart from the phrase.  So eventually 1 would require sheltered housing with pull cords  :-\ or 1 would have to move again.  House prices aren't high, it's supply and demand.  I would like to see houses the same price across the country, regardless: i.e. a 2 bedroom house with small garden £X, an 8 bedroom property with woodland, £KX .........

Sheila - I travel to the Fens on a monthly basis, the most productive growing land in Europe and properties are not being built there.  In-fill maybe but certainly not in the fields.  Which currently stand in water but that's another topic !  Have a 'chat' with Nicholas at : bugga, forgotten the farm name : but if you send him a query regarding food production he is likely to reply promptly.  He also has open days on his farm, not far from Spalding.  I meet with him at Bird Fair and have his monthly e-mail.  Deeping St . :-\ .......... bugga mind's gone blank .

Immigration isn't pushing house building.  European Government is, however.  We are having to meet quotas that are certainly not necessary though most new-builds are bought: then the owners find out the snagging problems rarely get done.  [long story short].  In my area the water authority insists that there is no more capacity but I don't see them turning down water rates from the new Estates!!  nor are they blamed for any flooding problems that occur. 

We have never been 100% sufficient in food stuffs.  If we were it would cut out a lot of fruit for example that we cannot, due to our climate, produce.  Potatoes currently are not being drilled due to flooded fields so we will have to import them.   

Let's fill the houses that are empty?  Let the Government take responsibility for finding absent Landlords, as well as filling flats in towns that remain empty over shops.  Easier though to allow the big building Companies to buy up land in the 1990s and then build once the by-passes have been pushed through land.  Don't get me started on HS2  :cuss:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 02:20:26 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2019, 02:28:54 PM »

VINE HOUSE FARM BIRD FOODS DEEPING ST. NICHOLAS, SPALDING, LINCOLNSHIRE PE11 3DG    VINEHOUSEFARM.CO.UK

Sparrow

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2019, 02:29:24 PM »

CLKD, house building quotas are nothing to do with the EU ???

Sheila, I live in the countryside and we have three new housing developments nearby.  We may buy on one of them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 02:32:36 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2019, 02:38:20 PM »

They were to do with.  Years++ ago.  One of the issues that the UK had to agree to that was pushed under the carpet  ......... a % housing was insisted upon. 

Sparrow

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2019, 03:00:30 PM »

I don't think so.  It's domestic policy and nothing to do with the EU.  Where did you get the info from??

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2019, 03:03:39 PM »

My Planning Office many years ago! and local builders.  Straight from the horses' .......

Sparrow

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »

Umm, I can't find anything at all so I think you have missed remembered.  It sounds like another 'Euromyth'.  Sorry, unless I have proof I don't believe it.  :-\

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-announces-ambitious-plan-to-build-the-homes-britain-needs

Nothing about the EU in the above.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 03:16:01 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2019, 03:45:51 PM »

Your choice but I don't expect my Planning Office nor builders to lie to me. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2019, 04:04:08 PM »

We build more houses 🏘.  Simples :)
How short sighted can you get? You obviously don't care about the countryside and the environment but some of us do.

Sheila99, just because I disagree with you there is no need to be rude ::)

I live in a far more densely populated area than you do and only around 8% of the UK is built on.  People need houses, end of in my opinion.
It wasn't your opinion I objected to, you're entitled to think anything you like. It's that you denied the inescapable fact that millions of immigrants is resulting in rampant house building.
You make it sound as though there's plenty of land left. There isn't.  We're already less than 50% self sufficient in food and the land they're building on is all the best, most productive land. In terms of food production it can produce many times more than the uplands that are left. ATM we can import food but with a rising world population and more catastrophic climate events that won't always be the case
 I edited the post above before I saw this reply. I changed 'obvious' to 'perhaps'. If you live in an urban environment perhaps you don't see the impact it's having on the countryside.
to answer your latest point - when I said we have million of immigrants who need housing you said the answer is we build more houses, so it seems you do understand that immigrants = house building.

I am with you on this Sheila. Over the years we have taken in Ugandan Asians, Indians, West Indians, Vietnamese, Chinese, Congolese, Roma, East Europeans etc but there comes a time when you have to pull up the drawbridge like other countries do.  We should get our country all sorted before we accept more people in who ARE a drain on our hospitals, council houses, schools etc. 

Before anybody starts on me, I lived and worked in Leicester for 16 years and worked closely with the Ugandan Asians who arrived with a few quid and a suitcase when Idi Amin threw them out.    I visited the families, went to schools and helped with employment and they were lovely, well educated, hardworking people, a few of whom I am still in touch with today! 

But that was nearly 50 years ago  😱 and we had room then and times were different. 

All the ladies on here have a housekeeping budget and it stands to reason that if more people join our household there are more mouths to feed and higher bills all round.  We can't just afford to squash other friends or relatives into our homes because it will overstretch the budget and put a serious strain on everybody else.  this country has the same problems but on a much more massive scale.  Surely we can all relate to that? 

bear

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2019, 04:11:27 PM »

Hi girls,

It's a double edge sword. Immigrants also have a critical role on many public services, including the NHS.

https://www.nurses.co.uk/nursing/blog/how-important-is-immigration-for-nhs-nursing/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nurses-nhs-workforce-care-staff-healthcare-assistants-funding-a9220561.html

Everything in life has to be balanced.

BeaR.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2019, 04:13:44 PM »

Hi girls,

It's a double edge sword. Immigrants also have a critical role on many public services, including the NHS.

https://www.nurses.co.uk/nursing/blog/how-important-is-immigration-for-nhs-nursing/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nurses-nhs-workforce-care-staff-healthcare-assistants-funding-a9220561.html

BeaR.

We know all that BeaR and a fine job they do too but it is immigrant medical staff treating increasing  immigrant patients really isn't it? 

Sparrow

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2019, 04:15:02 PM »

Hi girls,

BeaR.

Very good points Bear

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2019, 04:49:07 PM »

Those turned out by Idi Amin had British Passports.   :-\ as did many from Kenya over the years ....... and many have done jobs in the UK that locals wouldn't take on. 

Those living on Support are often a drain too, many never having worked or paid into the system.  Now into 3rd/4th generations of households not working but living on Support.  But still expecting free housing, health care, supplemented LA taxes .........

The problem has been no border control.  So many peoples come/go without being counted in/out .......... but the net migration is apparently down according to today's News.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6