Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Can hormonal changes during peri/menopause exacerbate OCD symptoms?  (Read 981 times)

KayemBee

Wanted to ask this question for a friend as she is going through such a difficult time and have always had such great advice on here.

So, anyone out there who has OCD and has found their own symptoms has exacerbated there OCD?

I have ADHD and can categorically say hormonal changes exacerbated it for me and so suspect that the answer is the same for most mental health conditions but would love to hear how its affected those who have OCD too.

My friend is 45, I love her dearly but I have a feeling that she simply will not accept that the Peri/Menopause is encroaching on her life, causing her high anxiety with the same cruel thoughts that she just cannot get out of her head.

Hope someone can offer some guidance or even share your own experiences if you have OCD.

Thanks for reading!

Mogster71

Re: Can hormonal changes during peri/menopause exacerbate OCD symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 08:45:22 AM »

I would say that Peri can definitely heighten anxiety, so in turn would say that OCD would be exacerbated.

I suffered very badly with OCD in my late 20s, luckily with the support of my family, the desire to get well and a great lady who helped me with cognitive behavioural therapy I came out the other side. It is an incredibly debilitating condition, your friend is lucky to have you to support her

All the best x

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 03:01:37 PM »

I would imagine - yes.
I have suffered with Anxiety all my life. Not OCD, but same family.
About 2 yrs ago, what I know now to have been the rumblings of peri, my anxiety went through the roof- no amount of SSRI shifted it. The cloudy brain fog as well, couldn't actually string a thought together to know what I was anxious about😡
Then I went on HRT- gone, better than I have been for years.

Lucyjo

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 07:36:18 PM »

Hi Sgtvhilts, hope you don't mind me asking, but what hrt are you on? I have suffered dreadful anxiety and depression for many years. Thanks x

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 03:04:14 PM »

Hi lucyjo.
Where do I start with this.....
I suppose my anxiety/depression escalated when I was about 18. Been on the old SSRI ‘s etc ever since, but meno wow, on max dose and did zilch.
So, on to HRT.  This is a long story of trial and error and I am currently on my own invented regime!!!
But the improvement in mental health has been massive.
I am currently on - Femeston 1mg ( now use it for progesterone purposes as dydrogestone doesn't come alone😡) I am pretty progesterone sensitive and utrogestan drove me nuts in 5 days, so no no to that.
I then slap up to a 100mcg of bog standard oestrogen patches on my butt, depending on how I'm feeling, 75 at the mo. So about 4 mgs of Oestrogen in total. Reason I upped it was because it did b*gger all at lower doses.
Meno clinic went nuts, but thankfully i've Dumped them and my GP is seriously cool.