Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena plus oestrogel  (Read 1251 times)

flower66

Mirena plus oestrogel
« on: November 03, 2019, 06:26:39 PM »

I've posted before and you've all been so helpful that I thought I would post again.
Due to heavy bleeds with utrogestan and oestrogel I had a hysteroscopy about 3 months ago where they found and removed a polyps.  The consultant suggested the Mirena which he fitted there and then. He said to use 3 pumps of the gel which I have been doing.  I have been experiencing really bad headaches and the mood swings and tearfulness, low mood over the last few weeks make me feel like I did when I took the contraceptive pill many years ago.  I am seriously thinking of having the Mirena removed and giving up on HRT altogether.  Any thoughts and advice ladies would be gratefully received 😊

Dotty

Re: Mirena plus oestrogel
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »

Hi maybe try reducing the oestrogel x

Shannonplussed

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 06:39:37 PM »

I second to lower the gel dosage. When I went to 3 pumps I was crying a lot (out of seething anger and frustration, more than sadness).

flower66

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 08:52:05 PM »

Thank you for your help 😊
How much would you lower the dose to? I don't understand why I feel like this when I didn't have any issues with the utrogestan apart from extreme tiredness and heavy bleeding 🤔

Woodlands

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 11:02:23 PM »

Hi there.
I had just the same with my first mirena.
It takes a few weeks to settle.... I took 1mg tab of Oestrogen too and never looked back.... Have a second mirena now for almost five years.
Woodlands xx

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 12:00:57 AM »

I think the Mirena can take a while to settle and releases more progesterone in early days, although you say you have had it for 3 months. I seem to be one of the fortunate one as apart from intial spotting i have had no issues with the Mirena, i also use 3 pumps of Estrogel.

Dollydream

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 08:32:32 AM »

Hi flower66
I was on the mirena/oestrogel and 3 pumps does seem high to start with, so I would agree with the others - maybe try 2 and see if you feel better.  As for the mirena, the advice is that it can take up to 6 months to settle.
Dolly x

Peripurple

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 11:20:17 AM »

Hi there,  I had a mirena fitted in May, and like others took a while to settle, I was also advised 3 pumps of Oestrogel but it was way too much.  It made me itchy, emotional and anxious.  I have now reduced to 1 pump and feel the best I have felt in over a year.  I will increase the pump when I feel I need to.  Hope that helps

flower66

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 09:10:12 PM »

Thank you all so much for your help 😊
I've reduced my gel to 1 pump today in the hope that things will improve 🤞😊

Shannonplussed

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 11:11:06 PM »

How are you doing now?

flower66

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 05:34:55 PM »

Hey 👋
Many thanks for asking after me 😊
I still have the mirena and am now applying 1 pump of gel.  I'm feeling so much better 😀 I'm still getting the odd headache but nothing like it was and thankfully the tears and mood swings have subsided. I'm actually starting to feel human again so I'm really hoping that things have now settled down and I've reached a stable phase in my menopause ‘journey'🤞😊