Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Too much time. Too many thoughts.  (Read 2231 times)

squeaker99

Too much time. Too many thoughts.
« on: November 12, 2019, 08:24:11 AM »

Ideas required ladies. I now have 4 months with nothing to do living in a remote place I don't want to live (House on market 3 years and counting). I feel isolated. Very few local groups. No evening classes. When I'm in the house with nothing to do I go Peri bonkers (Tried CBT/Mindfullness/Vitamin X/ 'getting outside'/making soups/volunteering at local charity shop. People were a bit weird...). Aside from on-line Yoga tutorials and making bread what can I fill the endless dark, wet days with? I used to (15 yrs ago) have a job that used my brain and I was out meeting people. Ideas?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Too much time. Too many thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »

Have a look-see at the Open University Web-site to see if you can tutor on-line.  Is there a school within travelling distance where you could offer to hear children reading?  Old Peoples' home that need people to chat .........

We have Mum's property on the market but it's not moving.  Until Brexit/Election results are sorted, people are reluctant to put money into much, hence the high street fading too.

What hobbies do you have? 

AgathaC

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 11:17:15 AM »

I've got some ideas and thoughts. I'll message a bit later xxx

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 04:26:43 PM »

Oh dear that sounds grim.  What about seeing if you can do a swap with your house?  Would that be possible.

I love reading books about people who decide to up sticks and move somewhere remote but often it all becomes too much, either poor health, bereavement, having to stop driving or just getting older means you can't enjoy life.

houses around here are still selling well and the estate agent who have coloured bricks (I imagine I am not allowed to name them) seem to sell very quickly.  Maybe you could try them?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 04:33:20 PM »

PF - Purple Bricks.  Our experience is that an Agent seems to value the property a little bit high in order to draw in the vendor then within weeks suggests that the price is dropped.  Often to an asking price that the Agent is certain that they can sell it for, in order to get commission.  Not necessarily what the property might be worth.  Although there is a certain amount of 'something is worth what someone will pay for on the day'.  If Agents are getting people through the door then negotiations can begin, but in our experience that isn't happening.  Individual property, needs bringing in2 the 21st Century but ready to move into; it's solid; needs new bathroom and kitchen.  In nearly 2 years it's had 5 viewings.

If you don't want to be out and about squeaker99 how about reading for 'books for the blind'?  The Charity often needs steady readers in a quiet situation either for books or the weekly papers.  How isolated R U - e-mail if you like ;-)

squeaker99

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 05:57:31 PM »

Thanks for your reply's ladies. One problem ' around here' is that it is very hard to get anyone to join anything. I tried to start a ' mother and baby' club at the cinema - 3 turned up, ditto a Lego club,  the school PTA is about to fold through lack of members,  joined an Eco/Litter pick type group that within months was just me and the guy who started it. House wise nothing is selling. We have moved the price up/down but makes no difference. Had 50 viewings but only one of these ended up buying in the area - all the others were either ' dreamers' (don't have the cash) or bought elsewhere. Area struggles to get / retain teachers/NHS staff etc

I did try the gym last week but I felt really old! Mostly 20 year old guys. Felt like a cougar. Zumba is the other end - mostly 70s.

Still. I made Mary Berry Stollen today and it is delicious.  :) :'(

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 08:42:50 PM »

;D    >hands over plate <

squeaker99

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 08:56:04 AM »

OK - some good responses on this. Thanks for the PMs guys.  I quite like the idea of doing some craft to stem the 'winter crazy'.

Any ideas ladies of craft  'things' I could make?  I tried a candle in a vintage T cup recently but it was quite time consuming a fiddly. More of a one off gift for a good neighbour than something you could make in bulk.

I am not very crafty (can't knit, make jam etc).  Don't want to make the sort of craft that people end up buying out of sympathy/embarrassment at craft fayres then think ' I paid X much for that!'.

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 10:13:31 PM »

Right now, Squeaker, what about xmas wreaths ? The ones people hang on their front doors.
I've always fancied making felt animals and birds. You know, they look real (a bit like fake taxidermy). Robins would be agood starting point. But I would love to have the skills to make a squirrel.
What about cake decoration ? My mum did that years ago, she got quite good.
Let us know what other ideas you've had. x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 03:14:27 PM »

Maybe think about next year. In the Jan sales buy Xmas decorations, i.e. wreaths, fake holly, felted robins ready to make wreaths in Sept..

I have done that for 10 years, now have various wreaths in our attic on hooks - Easter, Autumn, Ch.mas, New Year ;-)

As for Autumn 2019 - go to the Library or charity shops and scan the shelves and see what takes your fancy, something that you would actually get stuck into!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 03:57:03 PM »

No one needs to be bored!  I get bored if we are going somewhere exciting and I want to get there ......... then I can't find enough to keep myself busy until the day arrives  :D

We read, watch TV: DH bath cooks, mends watches, chops firewood.  I sort laundry, feed the birds, decide where to buy new bird food from.  I try not to think too far ahead.  When I felt ill in the 1990s and was unable to do anything any day that I don't have anxiety is a bonus. 

If you like dogs: contact the Cinnamon Trust.