Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Longest duration anyone has had a period for?  (Read 1481 times)

Chihuahuachick

Longest duration anyone has had a period for?
« on: November 17, 2019, 01:16:03 AM »

I am currently having a period that has lasted for 9 days. It is very light. I'm 3.5 years into perimenopause.

What is the longest duration of a period in the peri menopause stage.

If anyone can offer any advice then I  would appreciate it.

I'm not worried as I've been checked out by ultrasound etc. I'm just trying to work out what to expect next. You know like when people say the periods get longer, then they get shorter etc.

purpleflower78

Re: Longest duration anyone has had a period for?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »

I can only speak from personal experience but it seems to me that no one knows exactly what to expect in peri, not even the professionals as hormones seem to be all over the place.

My story is that I am 53 and nearly 14 weeks into a continuous period, having been regular every 22/23 days until July and then not having a period for 6 weeks.  Some days it is extremely heavy and others light, there is no pattern.  It's really getting me down now.

I went to the Dr a couple of times before being referred for a ultra-sound, which I was lucky to get within 3 weeks as I happened to ring and ask how long the waiting list was and got a cancellation the following day.

This showed that the endometrial thickness was approx 24 mm which I am told is very thick.

Back to the GP I went who referred me for a biopsy, she told me that it was almost certainly nothing to worry about and provided all came back normal she would fit a Mirena.  The wait time on the NHS was 10 weeks and I couldn't get a appointment until the very end of December, I therefore made the decision to self fund and go privately.

I saw a consultant in a private clinic last week and am currently waiting for the biopsy results (5/6 working days) - she is planning to do a radio-frequency endometrial ablation which should hopefully take place before the end of this month - this is going to be expensive and we are having to use our savings but I feel I have no choice, with elderly parents to care for and a job (self employed) which involves long periods of standing. 

My GP has said to me that this is completely normal but I am yet to find anyone else who has bled as long as I have and although I wasn't anemic when my bloods were done at the end of September I think I could well be now so am taking a supplement.

I am hoping that yours sorts itself out soon and it is good that you have already had ultrasound etc because this takes some of the worry away - I have found that the worry very hard to deal with and my anxiety levels are very high.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 09:02:50 AM »

Mine often lasted over six weeks with what felt like a new period starting four weeks into the initial bleeding. I eventually started HRT at age 53 due to other meno symptoms and that sorted it out.

Taz x

ann58

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 11:25:50 PM »

I had periods lasting 3 weeks then a week without and would start again during Peri menopause.

Chihuahuachick

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 05:59:29 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

Purple flower, I hope you get things sorted soon, please try not to worry, I know it's difficult.

This odd period seems to have finished now thank goodness. I won't be visiting my doctor as I know it is all due to peri.

As usual, the forum has helped me so much, thank you xx

Poshpaws

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 11:33:38 AM »

I started my bleeding on 20 Oct and am still bleeding - went to do two weeks after it commenced as I wasn't convinced it was normal

Doctor said take Provera 3 x a day which I did - and to come back in a month where he would start me on HRT

Bleeding continued - so started taking transamic acid

Another doc ordered an ultra sound scan and trans vaginal scan had that done last Thursday

Lining showing 22 mm thick which apparently is not “normal” I'm 52 and up until 3 months ago I was having heavy but manageable periods every month - then I missed one and then the next one was very light - until this last one - scan lady said she would scan me again in six weeks

Sat night I felt dreadful and ended up in a and e - bleeding was getting me down - anxiety is through the roof and my wee was like ribena

Had loads of bloods done - all fine - slightly low on ferritin but nothing dreadful

They got a gynae doc to see me and she said as I've been bleeding for four weeks now and it's not letting up she has fast tracked me under 2 week rule to have a hysterescopy next Thursday

Am absolutely terrified.

I am unsure about this lining thickness and I think that's what they worry about -

I hope we all get some positive answers soon and wish you all well

Xxx

JillC1970

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 02:06:54 PM »

Hi folks,
I had months of continuous bleeding and eventually ended up in hospital for two nights because it was so bad. I was 47 and it was definitely the start of my peri menopause as I'd been completely regular until then. I had an ultrasound & uterine biopsy which were normal and was offered the Mirena, ablation or hysterectomy. My other peri symptoms had become really bothersome with terrible night sweats, mood swings irritability and downright rage so after a bit of an issue with my BP, I started on HRT - 1mg Elleste Duet in November 2017 and it completely turned things around for me. I no longer bleed anything like as heavily or for as long. I was going through a super plus tampon every 20 - 30 minutes for about three days and they just didn't ever stop, tailing off then re-starting. Now it's completely normal. I just needed some oestrogen. I've now moved on to the gel as the tablets eventually stopped working but HRT was the answer for me.
Good luck ladies. It's such a personal thing and it's not always a straightforward process.

Poshpaws

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 04:06:29 PM »

Thank you xxxx