Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Confused  (Read 1007 times)

Polpringle

Confused
« on: November 21, 2019, 06:00:23 PM »

I've been taking the progesterone only pill for about 10yrs because I had horrendous periods and it stopped them with an occasional bleed. I've been looking at HRT and confused as to why you have to have a bleed yet I can go without one for years on the pill.
 Does it not give you a low dose of progesterone the same as the Mirena?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 06:04:40 PM »

Hi! can't help with any answers but didn't want to cut and run.

Have you had regular scans of the womb lining?  I had clotty periods, intensive pains, nausea  :-\ but nothing was suggested so I went on The Pill at age 17.  Helped enormously.

:welcomemm:

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 07:56:09 PM »

Not sure why you say you would have to have a bleed. Could you not try a continuous regime? Only a sequi would give a bleed. Have a look at the different treatments on the main menu.

JP x

Polpringle

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »

Everything I've read says I need to have a bleed as Peri menopausal. Continuous are for Post menopause.
I've been prescribed Estrogel & Utrogestan

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 10:29:39 PM »

Maybe ask your GP/Practice Nurse for a scan to see if the lining is 'within normal limits' which will give you a base line from which to work?

Fusseh

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »

This is a great question and something I have wondered as well...alas I have no answer. Maybe somebody out there will know

Polpringle

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 03:03:40 PM »

But I can take the mini pill or Mirena which gives a constant dose of progesterone  and either stops or reduces bleeds but because I'm peri I have to have a bleed on the HRT I've been prescribed.
I feel really thick like I'm missing something 🤦🏻‍♀️ It just doesn't make sense why I have to have a bleed when for years I haven't

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 03:07:33 PM »

Not thick.  No one is thick here nor is any question too much info..   It's a Mine Field! 

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »

Hi Polpringle  :welcomemm: from me too.

Not thick at all. The key thing is that once you stop the mini pill ovulation will no longer be suppressed and therefore your uterine lining will build up as Birdy says. You don't have to have a bleed per se in the sense that you need to bleed, but if you take a continuous combined HRT when you are peri-menopausal then you will continue to ovulate and therefore your womb lining will build up ( not as much as if on conti HRT because you are taking progestogens all the time which as birdy says helps to keep it thin) - and then you will bleed sporadically and it won't be as clear-cut. HRT does not suppress ovulation.

So - you mentioned Mirena - this delivers the progestogen mostly locally to the uterus so it stops the lining builing up even if you ovulate ( Mirena doesn't always stop ovulation) - so this sounds ideal for women switching from mini pill. Maybe consider this?

Depending on your age you could switch to a type of COP that is like HRT - so may well prevent bleeding or vastly reduce it, as well as acting as contraception. The oestrogen in these two types is estradiol - the same as in most hRT including the gel. The pills are QLAIRA  and ZOELY. Qlaira only has two dummy pill days. There may well be a withdrawal bleed but maybe smaller than with HRT.....? Sorry don't know about that.

Hurdity x

Polpringle

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 06:54:16 PM »

Thank you all for your answers.
It makes abit more sense now. I honestly wish we were taught about hormones and their effects on us more through every stage of our lives especially as a mother of 3 teenage daughters & watching them each go through hormone ups and downs