Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New to the forum - question about switching HRT mid cycle  (Read 1084 times)

Beela

New to the forum - question about switching HRT mid cycle
« on: November 14, 2019, 03:59:54 PM »

Hi there
I've just joined the forum so Hello!  :)
I'm 46, have been perimenopausal for over 5 years and been on HRT for nearly 3 months.
My question is about switching HRT midway through the cycle.

I've been on Elleste Duet tablets and while it was initially absolutely brilliant (hot flushes & night sweats stopped immediately, mood lifted, anxiety decreased, slept better), things have changed a lot the last 3 or 4 weeks.
My sleep and anxiety have got really bad with no other obvious reason (no particular change in family & work stresses). I am struggling to function at work or get more than 3 hrs sleep per night. I understand that HRT mainly improves vasomotor symptoms, but I really feel that my anxiety is closely linked to my hormones. A recent study shows that HRT can be an effective and safe treatment for low mood that arises as a result of the menopause but my GP clearly didn't get that memo.

I asked to change HRT to see if this might make a difference and have been prescribed the Estrogel pump and Utrogestan. As I suffer from migraine, a transdermal would be more suitable anyway.
Today is day 16, so I would normally add the progestogen tablets today. I really don't want to have to wait another 2 weeks until this cycle is finished in order to start the new medication.

My question is, can I switch to the Estrogel today and start the Utrogestan today too? That way I can continue my cycle, but just with the new medication.

Or should I just ditch the old cycle and start today with Day 1 on Estrogel, and wait until Day 15 for the Utrogestan?

thanks!
Beela

Hurdity

Re: New to the forum - question about switching HRT mid cycle
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 07:46:56 PM »

Hi Beela - you asked the same question on the All Things Menopause board and I've answered and welcomed you on there. Just to explain it's all one forum so members will look at all the boards - so you only need to post once. If you have another query then best to stick to one thread otherwise it can get confusing!  Hopefully you will see my answer on the other board?! All the best!

Hurdity x

Beela

Re: New to the forum - question about switching HRT mid cycle
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 12:47:58 PM »

Thanks Hurdity!  :)