Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: B12 woes again  (Read 4805 times)

Tc

B12 woes again
« on: November 15, 2019, 01:02:11 PM »

Hiya ladies.
Gp wanted to see me about my HRT this morning.
. I feel so awful at the moment , I'm realy not right at all . Shaking hands, nausea, weakness, tired  and that horrible light headed black dots in front of eyes feeling I'm going to faint.

She noticed my hands were shaking so I told her how I feel.   Shes  sent me for a sugar blood test and said if it comes back normal she will refer me to a  neurologist.  She asked if anyone in family has parkinsons. Bit scary!!. My dad has essential tremor but it doesnt have all these other symptoms.

But I cant understand the attitude to my b12.

The range is 191 - 663 and mine is 215. 

Surely  it make sense that within the range it's low if not under And that whilst "normal" it's only just  so and  might l be low enough to cause symptoms. 

I could understand if I wasnt getting symptoms but I am. . It mightve fallen further since 4 weeks ago and the symptoms have all got worse since then.

My folate was on the floor 4 weeks ago and I've been on tabs since) But she expects me to treat the b12 myself with OTC products which she told me last time are not as effective or strong enough. 

She would rather refer me to a neurologist than try to sort my b12 out.   

This has happened twice in the last year with my b12 ,  and it did fall to abnormal and they treated it with high strength prescription. .

This might be something else but  I'm thinking "at least treat the b12  and then we can rule it out." !Tearing what's left of my hair out here!!!   

Any ideas ladies on a good OTC b12. Which is strong enough?
Xxx
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 01:10:05 PM by Tc »

Sparrow

Re: B12 woes again
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 01:35:16 PM »

Healthspan would be my choice.  They do a high strength one and the quality is excellent.  Price also works out cheaper than the high street brands.

Lots of info on deficiency on the website too.

I would also say that tremor can be caused by stress and/or adrenal gland fatigue.  My son suffered with this and it certainly was not parkinsons.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 01:43:19 PM by Shadyglade »

Tc

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 01:55:25 PM »

Thank you shady. I will look into it.

She also put prolactin on the  blood form. That's a first for me. .  She obvs doesnt think its b12.  She hasnt even re tested that.

So I will just need to try treat it myself and see if bringing my level up helps. 

Xxx

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 04:14:27 PM »

Can't help on the b12 but I would question your gp - seeing she told you last time they weren't strong enough why does she think they are now? Have you had similar symptoms before that were cured by b12? Perhaps also take the referral, he may sort out the b12. My FIL had parkinsons. He had tremors and stiffness but not your other symptoms so it's probably unlikely.

Tracey E

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 05:45:27 PM »

TC are you on any other medication that might deplete your vitamin intake?

Tc

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 08:30:18 PM »

Thanks ladies.
I will look online and get some to treat it myself

Tracey E.  Yep!! The dreaded omprazole. Just cant stop it though. Xx

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 08:44:15 PM »

Thanks ladies.

Tc, this medication can cause muscle spasms and B12 deficiency.  Could be the problem here.

Tracey E

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »

Thanks ladies.

That's your culprit, not sure what the alternative is tbh.. X

CrispyChick

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 09:31:14 PM »

I was borderline low on b12 and have bumped it up using a high dose oral spray. Possibly the way to go if you feel your stomach med causes lack of absorbtion.  My b12 levels went up after taking the spray.

Tc

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 10:18:55 PM »

Thanks crispy  spray sounds a good idea.
  I know omprazole can cause magnesium to go low, maybe potassium too I dont know but I didnt know about the muscle spasms shady.

I have been getting these weird feelings in the last year or so  like losing power in my leg and arm, hand and foot. It's mainly on the left side. Inumb, heavy and weak .like a loss of muscle  power rather than spasm , but it's been constant the last couple of weeks.

The first time it happened was a,few weeks after my surgery. I suddenly couldnt feel my left foot on contact with  the floor.when walking Then my leg went weak and  dead.  I had to sit dow in the middle of a shop!! It's
Scary. Like an out of body feeling.

.ive also had a lot of tingling pins and needles..  back in September it lasted for days. And it goes around my mouth and lips too.
I've never had any of this including the shakes  before this last year or so

So Maybe she is right to send me to a neurologist.  Maybe the migraines raised a flag too.   .

To be honest my biggest fear is that its circulatory. My biggest risk due to family history and my lifestyle is of heart   problems.  But that seems to be overlooked.

Xx

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:27:13 PM by Tc »

ElkWarning

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 11:41:35 PM »

Hemi weakness, yeah, a neuro needs to check that out. How's your vision?

Tc

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 12:26:24 AM »

Hiya elk. I do get the black spots I mentioned  Like you get before you faint.

I was in two minds to call an ambulance the other night when it happened after I'd just got into bed. My left arm and left leg. My arm was so dead and heavy I couldnt move it. And I felt like I couldnt feel my foot at all.  It scared the crap out of me.  It just happens suddenly.  Everytime once its passed I try to forget about it. I've been telling myself its anxiety. Xxx
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 12:29:27 AM by Tc »

CrispyChick

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 09:21:44 AM »

Neurologist is best so they can put your mind at rest. In the meantime get your b12 up. My spray is by Better You. They do a very high strength b12. Because it's a spray, you bypass your stomach.

I was having some random symptoms through all this fog that I'm currently in, but I'm sure it took a couple away!!!!

Maybe all connected in the first place. I too have suffered stomach issues for first time, but I'm stuck on ranitidine which is a bit milder. One of my worst symptoms was a very painful tongue. A symptom of b12 deficiency, but according to doctors my tongue did not have the wrong look...... It has gone away with the b12.....

Tc

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 09:50:25 AM »

Thank you. Xx

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 08:48:46 PM »

I haven't read all replies but a sublingual tablet is better to absorb than a swallowing tablet

My b12 was 197 (range 211-911) and they wouldn't treat that x
Pages: [1] 2