Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem Palpitations  (Read 3167 times)

Tracey E

Vagifem Palpitations
« on: November 15, 2019, 09:29:27 AM »

Hi, many of you know about my on going battle with HRT and my adverse reaction to Estrodrial.

Anyway 8 weeks off HRT and I'm still getting palpitations. I've been in Vagifem now for the last 7 weeks and have been taking it five times per week. I know it's a very low dose of Estrodrial compared to patches, gel and pills but I'm tending to think I am absorbing some into my system and it's causing the palps again.

Anyway I'm going to be leaving it off for a few days to see how things pan out. Has anyone else had a reaction to Vagifem?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem Palpitations
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »

Palpitations happen without HRT.  Can be part of peri-menopause.  Fortunately not one of my symptoms.

The amount of 'vagifem' is so small that it shouldn't affect any other part of the body.  If you stop for 5 nights [not 'taking' it hopefully but inserting appropriately? ] you will know.  Do be aware though that atrophy needs something to replace the oestrogen that causes symptoms. 

Tracey E

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 05:34:44 PM »

Palpitations happen without HRT.  Can be part of peri-menopause.  Fortunately not one of my symptoms.

The amount of 'vagifem' is so small that it shouldn't affect any other part of the body.  If you stop for 5 nights [not 'taking' it hopefully but inserting appropriately? ] you will know.  Do be aware though that atrophy needs something to replace the oestrogen that causes symptoms.

Yeah I know, I'll see how the palps go over the next few days. I may have to try Intrarosa. Estrodrial just doesn't agree with me. :(

Tracey E

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 05:37:12 PM »

Palpitations may well be down to lowered oestrogen.
Have you considered using Estriol cream for VA? I use it and like it very much. Vagifem gave me thrush.

Birdy I had palps on all the HRT I've tried, I have some Ovestin cream, I'm going to carry on without Vagifem for a while and see if they ease. I get them just after eating food, really weird..

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 05:40:10 PM »

There's your answer?  'after food'  :-\

Tracey E

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 09:45:52 PM »

There's your answer?  'after food'  :-\

Yeah but Vagifem can cause excessive bloating and wind. I have been applying it almost 6 days a week so maybe that's why..

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »

Why would 'vagifem' cause symptoms  :-\ it isn't taken orally ?  Have you checked the leaflet in the box for clues?

Hormones can cause gut prlbmes. 

Tracey E

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 04:16:23 PM »

Day 3 with no Vagifem, haven't had a palp all day. I obviously absorb it into my bloodstream. HRT had the same effect on me too. :(

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 04:18:13 PM »

What does it say in the leaflet.  I haven't used 'vagifem', 'ovestin' suits thus far. 

Tracey E

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 06:04:19 PM »

Vagifem® (estradiol vaginal tablet) Page 13 of 33
Table 4- Frequency of Treatment-Emergent Adverse Events (TEAE) Regardless of Drug
Relationship
Respiratory
 URI 14 (7) 7 (9) 2 (4)
 Influenza 3 (2) 4 (5) 0 (0)
Body as a Whole
 Headache 17 (9) 4 (5) 3 (6)
 Abdominal Pain 9 (5) 4 (5) 2 (4)
 Back Pain 8 (4) 0 (0) 3 (6)
Gastrointestinal
 Flatulence 3 (2) 4 (5) 1 (2)
Other Clinical Trial Adverse Drug Reactions (<5%)
The following adverse events were reported at an incidence of <5% for Vagifem® regardless of
drug relationship.
Skin/Appendages: Acne; Dermatitis contact; Nail disorder; Pruritus; Pruritus genital; Rash; Skin
disorder; Skin ulceration; Urticaria
Musculoskeletal: Arthralgia; Arthritis; Arthritis aggravated; Arthrosis; Bone Disorder; Myalgia
Central Nervous System: Dizziness; Hypertonia; Hypoaesthesia; Migraine; Involuntary muscle
contractions; Paraesthesia
Vision Disorders: Blepharitis; Conjunctivitis
Psychiatric Disorders: Agitation; Anxiety; Increased appetite; Depression; Insomnia; Libido
decrease; Nervousness; Somnolence
Gastrointestinal: Abdominal pain; Constipation; Diarrhea; Diverticulitis; Dyspepsia;
Flatulence; Gastroesophageal reflux;
Nausea; Tooth disorder; Vomiting
Endocrine Disorders: Goiter
Cardiovascular: Hypertension; Palpitation
Vascular Disorders (non-CVD): Cerebrovascular disorder; Thrombophlebitis leg superficial

I've been taking more than the prescribed dose so only have myself to blame really. It explains the link to my gastric problems and palps. My tummy feels do much better today, no bloating at all.

Don't know what to do next, whether to carry on with Vagifem for twice a week  or look for something else for my VA. Pfffttt.

CLKD do you get bloated with Ovestin?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 06:05:57 PM by Traci »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 06:36:23 PM »

Nope.

That leaflet covers everything and nowt  ;D - typically so that the manufacture doesn't get sued  ::).   

I get bloating due to slow bowel transit  >:(.  If necessary I stop all meds for 24 hours except 'ovestin' and I get a proper movement.  I used to get bloated in the 10 days prior to a period.  Which went as soon as the bleed began.  I also get bloated if I drink too much liquid ........

Do you keep a mood/symptom/food diary?

Tracey E

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 07:04:00 PM »

No this Isn't a patient information sheet, these are clinical trials of the product. Maybe you should investigate your medication to see if it's causing any of your problems CLKD.

I am making notes of my symptons and what I've eaten prior to each episode. I haven't changed my diet in the last few days just knocked off the Vagifem. Bloating has almost gone and no palps today. It's not rocket science really.

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »

Hi Traci

Are you Tracey E that was?! Sorry to hear you're having palpitations and other symptoms too.... but it is very unlikely to be down to vagifem. As the others have said far more likely to be due to other things as the amount absorbed systemically is minute and palps also are a sign of low oestrogen.

Great that you've tracked down a study Traci! It's always good to look into these things. However being a study it will benefit from a bit more in depth scrutiny as it can be easy to read stuff into what might at first glance appear to say what you think it says - if you see what I mean! "Not rocket science" but definitley science!!

I managed to track down the study (we are asked to give links when we provide information but I did some Googling!) and actually it doesn't say that these are definitely common side effects from Vagifem. In fact what was studied was Vagifem, a different vaginal product and placebo and the figures give the incidence and percentage of a whole range of common symptoms ( which will have been a self-reported questionnaire). Although the results were not analysed statistically (or rather the results of this not shown in the study) it is easy to see from the figures presented for one of the studies that the incidence of these side effects are very low, and occur at a similar frequency in those taking vagifem to those taking placebo and are therefore VERY UNLIKELY to be caused by Vagifem.

Of course - the other studies might show a slightly different picture and depends partly on the design of the studies but although all the data from all the trials are not presented in that monograph they draw the following conclusion:

"Overall, Vagifem® is well tolerated, is comparable to placebo in overall incidence of treatment-emergent adverse events, has not demonstrated a potential for causing adverse events associated with endogenous levels of estrogen that differs from other topical hormone therapies and has not demonstrated a potential for causing adverse events associated with cumulative dosing in long-term therapy extending to 64 weeks. " https://pdf.hres.ca/dpd_pm/00013717.PDF

I know you are very sensitive and worried about HRT and its effect - and sorry I can't remember how old you are and where in menopause re natural periods/cycle length before starting HRT - but I think you're worrying too much about vagifem and attributing everything that is happening to you to estradiol and now vagifem. You might be one of the rarer exceptions but your symptoms may equally be down to other causes -and if you are suffering from VA then local oestrogen ( or similar hormonal product) is the only thing that will treat it.

Why not reduce to the now standard amount of twice per week and then at least you are acting to control the VA which will only get worse if left untreated - or try one of the other products eg estriol cream?

Hope you're feeling better today :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 04:34:41 PM »

How have you been today?

I know that my medication/'ovestin' isn't likely to cause any of my problems, what ever they might be on any particular day  ::).  Sciatica is due 2 me being lazy with my posture.  The irritating clearing throat is under investigation. 

Tracey E

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 07:05:52 PM »

How have you been today?

I know that my medication/'ovestin' isn't likely to cause any of my problems, what ever they might be on any particular day  ::).  Sciatica is due 2 me being lazy with my posture.  The irritating clearing throat is under investigation.

Well no palps until 3.00pm, 10 mins after I'd eaten soup and a roll. :(
Pages: [1] 2