Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: A permanent hot flush/sweat?  (Read 1689 times)

Peacegirl

A permanent hot flush/sweat?
« on: November 14, 2019, 02:48:57 PM »

I haven't posted a while as been trying to manage auto-immune hypothyroidism. I've taken all the advice about when to take oestrogen so it doesn't block the thyroid med. Ive also upped relevant vitamins. I was feeling partly better but I started getting very hot and have been permanently hot for a week. Its weird because its literally all the time so nit like a flush. I don't sweat any more for some reason but I would be permanently soaked if I did. Its worse after eating. Apart from feeling fluey, the other sympton is severe skin-flaking and itching (sorry yuk). I dont think im over- medicated for thyroid (tests suggest i could be) but has anyone had this with low estrogen? Im wondering if its stopped working... :-\ Or any other ideas? Cant get gp apt for a month.

Peacegirl

Re: A permanent hot flush/sweat?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 09:29:14 PM »

Yes I can identify with that! I have autoimmune hypothyroid disease and have to use loads of moisturiser or my leg skin in particular gets flaky
I also have very poor body temperature control so often too warm especially at night

Oh thats interesting - I've always been freezing but now quite often hot and you think that can be a hypo thing as well as cold?

Peacegirl

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 03:39:06 PM »

Honestly I don't know.

My body's ability to regulate temperature went weird in perimeno which was the same time my thyroid went weird. I've had lots of problems with itchy skin and hives over the years for which I take daily antihistamines. The dry skin is partly I think because I'm so fair skinned - plus some hormonal effects. I use Aveeno or 24/7 cream (from cheap chemist chains!).

Why are you thinking you're over medicated? Some say TSH should be really low but I'm only comfortable with mine around 3-4 because any lower and I get palpitations and a feeling that my system's racing. Hard to describe but other people with thyroid problems can often identify. It's possible that the heat could be down to that though.

Yeah, im finding nothing touches the dry skin- I've got really good at living with the itching! My last thyroid results have my tsh suppressed and my t4 over range. I don't feel too well so perhaps i am a little ‘over'.  Ill probably have to try and fund a private test soon to see what the t3 and anti- bodies are up to! What you Said about your TSH being comfortable at 3/4 is interesting because that's where i was at when i started having horrible symptoms. It really illustrates how very individual we all are and why so- called normal ranges aren't that helpful. I thought menopause was complicated but endocrinology is crazy complicated!

Peacegirl

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 08:53:21 PM »

Oddly enough my TSH was only about 5.5 when I was diagnosed as having antithyroid autoantibodies (Hashimotos). I'd hoped that taking the medication would cure everything but it never has! To be honest I think that now being some 10 years post meno is making more difference than anything. I feel as though everything is gradually starting to calm down hormone-wise! I'm sure I'll have had my T3 measured many times but no-one's ever mentioned a problem with it. I don't think endocrine problems plus meno is a good combo do you?
[/quote

So have you not felt better at all since having thyroid treatment? Its interesting what you say about a cure as my understanding us that once you e developed hashis and have symptoms, your thyroid is already damaged. In theory you can reduce your anti- bodies and prevent further damage if you can only find out whats causing the attacks (soya?. Dairy? Gluten? Any number of other undetectable things). Anyway, its not great having the meno stuff and the hashis thats true. I had 4 nearly normal weeks recently and it was so good but its rare these days, mostly I go from ‘under par' to being bed-bound. :o

Peacegirl

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 09:18:02 AM »

Thank you for that post. I know exactly what you mean by not knowing which element is helping but I'm glad you're doing ok - hope thats still the case? Do you happen to know anything about oestrogen affecting thyroid negatively? I don't mean as in blocking levothyroxine meds. I'm now looking at whether my hrt is too high- although usually if I have too much oestrogen it triggers discharge or a period so its probably not that. Still feeling really ill and have a visibly swollen thyroid too now, so feel I must explore every possibility to try and get better  :o

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 10:58:53 AM »

Hi Peacegirl,

I've been on thyroid meds for Hashimotos for 25 years & like you, Stella & some other members, have found that this really seems to complicate menopause.  My heart goes out to you as it can be a very difficult combination to manage.  Not impossible though, so please don't give up hope - just means keeping at it like a dog with a bone!

have been permanently hot for a week. Its weird because its literally all the time so nit like a flush. I don't sweat any more for some reason but I would be permanently soaked if I did. Its worse after eating.

My last thyroid results have my tsh suppressed and my t4 over range. I don't feel too well so perhaps i am a little ‘over'. . . .
have a visibly swollen thyroid too now

I thought menopause was complicated but endocrinology is crazy complicated!

If your thyroid is currently swollen and your TFT suggestive of overtreatment, I would urge you to ask for referral to an Endocrinologist - preferably one sympathetic to menopause.  With a suppressed TSH & above range T4, this alone could be causing you to feel horribly hot, but on HRT the picture can be very murky & menopause is a time when expert Endo input can be crucial to getting our lives back on track.  As you say, the field is so very complex, so it's not a road that's easy to walk alone.

If in addition to feeling too hot, your digestive tract is going into overdrive (loose stools, indigestion, hunger difficult to satisfy), you feel unreasonably tense/anxious/jittery, have racing thoughts & you're losing weight, that would also suggest to me that you might benefit from reducing your thyroid meds a little, but I wouldn't do this without Endocrinologist approval unless whoever oversees your thyroid condition is already happy for you to make minor adjustments yourself & these are followed by timely TFTs to ensure any changes are appropriate.

Like Stella, I've found with increasing age (I'm late 50s), that a TSH at or near bottom range makes me feel uncomfortably over-revved though prior to peri I needed it to be low/suppressed in order to function well.

You will know that if we're overtreated over a significant length of time this is detrimental to the body systemically & that our cardiovascular system & bones especially can be at risk.  It's also exhausting for the body when metabolism is running too high.

Thermoregulation is said to be compromised in hypothyroidism even before you throw menopause into the mix & that was certainly my experience.  Then at the start of peri my body seemed to go absolutely haywire, with the most intense overheating & like you, for very lengthy stretches- not the few minutes you read is classic for flushing & night sweats.  Like you, I seem to be unable to sweat, which makes it harder for us to cool down.  Especially at night, my body seemed unable to bring my temp back down so that again like you, I felt almost permanently too hot & this prevented me getting back to sleep.  This went on for more than a decade, until a few years postmenopause I finally started HRT, which helped to some extent, but did not resolve symptoms enough for me to stop looking for a more effective regimen, which has become the Holy Grail!

I see from your footnotes that Femoston Conti + Evorel is the most recent regimen listed - are you still on that combo now?  I ask because if by any chance you've since swapped to Utrogestan, I've found that to be impossible to tolerate on thyroid meds.  Women on thyroid replacement are said to be more sensitive to progesterone/progestogens & I find it's this element of the HRT package that is the worst for exacerbating overheating, insomnia & generally revving metabolism to an excessive extent.  Read recently that progesterone causes an increase in retention of minerals at cellular level - potassium & zinc from memory - but don't quote me on that, that encourage conversion of T4-T3 which as you'll know, speeds up metabolism . . . one consequence being feeling too hot all the time.

Please make sure you drink plenty, as it's easy to become dehydrated if thyroid is running high & the diuretic effect from prog can exacerbate this.  I find prog very diuretic but that oestrogen causes me to retain fluid - the difference having become obvious experimenting over time on sequi cycles & with changing regimens.

Sorry for the long post - it's a complicated scenario for us & this can make it difficult to give a straightforward answer to queries.  I hope there's something useful in this & that you manage to get some expert help soon, so that you feel less lost in the maze.   :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 07:44:05 AM by Wrensong »

Wrensong

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 07:37:28 AM »

I hear you Stella!  Budge up a bit - right beside you in that uncomfortable place!  Late 50s, 7+ years postmeno & recently agreed to swap conti for sequi to minimise breast risk.  But have ended up on MPA, considered one of least breast-friendly progs, having worked my way through norethisterone, levonorgestrel, dydrogesterone & utrogestan.  They so need to come up with something those of us who really struggle with prog can better tolerate.  Lovely Endo wants to keep me on minimal prog, so I'm on lowest dose MPA for only 7 days pcm.  Can't imagine that will be sustainable long term without growing an endometrium like rhinocerous hide as I need to increase my oestrogen for better symptom control.  But I appreciate his compassion!  Even at that tiny dose for just a week each cycle I am way too hot at night & feels as though it completely opposes the minimal (25mcg) oestrogen.  I know many women feel sedated on progesterone, but it simply makes me feel hot, wired & hyper.  Not easy to balance with thyroid meds & the impaired thermoregulation being hypothyroid so often involves  ::).  Not giving up yet though! ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 07:39:18 AM by Wrensong »

Wrensong

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 10:40:57 AM »

Yes, Stella - completely understand - I was found to have osteopenia 3 years ago & have mostly been on poorly absorbed/no HRT since then & am underweight, so bones are a worry.  Now trying to find something tolerable I can absorb, that also relieves symptoms & is low breast risk.  Seems to be a big ask  ::) ;D  I hope you find someone who can come up with a good choice that works for you without your having to continue with bleeds.  Surely it should be possible for both of us?  After all, unicorns are everywhere these days!  Would be interested to know how you get on.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 11:16:19 AM by Wrensong »

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 12:38:31 PM »

Oh - unfortunate combination for your sister.  I struggle with cal-mag supplements due to digestive issues, so don't take them, but wish I could, especially as they are supposed to be sedative.  The calcium slows my already sluggish digestive tract & though magnesium seemed like the missing part of the health jigsaw pre-peri, these days it's yet another thing that seems to rev my thyroid.  Makes me hot & bothered - the opposite to the systemic calming effect its said to exert.  Balanced combinations like Osteocare you'd think would work are also problematical for me.  Hopeless case!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 04:47:44 PM by Wrensong »