Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Persistent viral infection with sore throat  (Read 2820 times)

Katejo

Persistent viral infection with sore throat
« on: November 24, 2019, 11:32:37 AM »

Has anyone had this recently? Mine started with a dry throat and cold symptoms but hardly any sneezing. I thought it was almost over when I suddenly got a persistent sore throat and a lot of coughing. The soreness moves around my throat but is mostly at the back/left side where I am sensitive to irritation. Have had the throat for 11 days. Also mild headache. No loss of voice. Still think it is a virus not an infection but will have to go to GP if it doesn't clear soon.

Dotty

Re: Persistent viral infection with sore throat
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 12:01:39 PM »

Hi yes I've suffered quite a lot with those symptoms on and off over the last few months.  I've considered that it might be another menopause symptom .x

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 12:31:00 PM »

Hi yes I've suffered quite a lot with those symptoms on and off over the last few months.  I've considered that it might be another menopause symptom .x
I know about silent reflux but do think that I have had a virus this time.

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 02:25:18 PM »

Hi Katejo,

Sorry you have been under the weather.  There are a lot of odd viruses doing the rounds at the moment.  I had one that started off with a sore throat and turned into a back achey high temperature thing.  It seemed to come and go but lasted nearly two weeks.

Have you tried Chloroseptic for your throat??

Hope you feel better soon.
Shadyglade

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 03:33:29 PM »

I've had a persistent cough for 14 months now.  Trying omepralol [sp] in case it's reflux which I have ....... but the need to clear my throat is constant which may well cause a sore throat, as will sleeping with gob wide open ;-).

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 06:27:02 PM »

Hello Katejo.

I have had two viral infections recently, now both resolved thankfully. The first one woke me up in the middle of the night with a sore throat, swollen glands and tenderness on one side of my face. The next morning I went into the bathroom, lent forward to brush my teeth and the room began to spin! The sore throat and dizziness took a while to go but was manageable.  About two weeks later I had another virus but this time it was a hacking cough. I know several people who had this one and it lasted about a month. My friend worried that hers was going on too long  was given antibiotics but I stuck it out and the cough went of it's own accord. I suggest you keep it under review but I didn't take any meds for either virus and am now completely well so these bugs do go eventually!

Take care and hopefully you'll begin to feel better soon.

K.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 08:50:18 PM »

Hello Katejo.

I have had two viral infections recently, now both resolved thankfully. The first one woke me up in the middle of the night with a sore throat, swollen glands and tenderness on one side of my face. The next morning I went into the bathroom, lent forward to brush my teeth and the room began to spin! The sore throat and dizziness took a while to go but was manageable.  About two weeks later I had another virus but this time it was a hacking cough. I know several people who had this one and it lasted about a month. My friend worried that hers was going on too long  was given antibiotics but I stuck it out and the cough went of it's own accord. I suggest you keep it under review but I didn't take any meds for either virus and am now completely well so these bugs do go eventually!

Take care and hopefully you'll begin to feel better soon.

K.
Thanks Kathleen  I really hope that the sore throat is starting to clear. Feels slightly better this evening but perhaps I am imagining it! I don't think I have ever had a sore throat last this long. However I don't think antibiotics are needed. Fairly sure it is a virus. When i get viruses, they do last a while. Perhaps I should just take time off work more than I do but the idea of being stuck at home, unable to go out, for 2-3 weeks drives me nuts....

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 03:05:55 PM »

Any better?

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 04:37:54 PM »

Hello again Katejo

My recent experiences and that if my friend made me wonder if the normal course of this virus is a month and we worry unnecessarily if we think it will l go on for longer. The day before I met  her I was feeling a tenderness in my back which reminded me of previous chest infections so I was concerned that I was about to feel worse and would need antibiotics however before I could get a GP appointment I started to get better. My friend saw her doctor not because she felt worse but because she thought four weeks was too long for it to be a simple virus. 
Having said all that I am in no way medically qualified and I'm sure you will be sensible about seeking help if you feel you need it.

Wishing you well.

K.

littleminnie

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 06:45:47 PM »

This virus is doing the rounds Katejo.  OH had it for 3 weeks. 

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 09:48:59 PM »

This virus is doing the rounds Katejo.  OH had it for 3 weeks.
I am over the worst of it now. Just the coughing and an irritated throat left. Has lasted 3.5 weeks so far.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 10:10:08 PM »

I coughed for months after The Germ 12 months ago  :-\ in recent weeks, fortunately not at night

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 10:23:33 PM »

I coughed for months after The Germ 12 months ago  :-\ in recent weeks, fortunately not at night
My coughing hasn't caused much trouble during the night.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 11:01:04 PM »

That makes a big difference to how we feel !