Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Estradot 100 and sleep...  (Read 720 times)

3isenough

Estradot 100 and sleep...
« on: November 11, 2019, 12:22:52 PM »

Hello - new HRT user....
Can estrogen patches mess up your sleep for a bit? has anyone experienced this and did it settle? first patch was on Friday and this weekend i have been waking up a lot.. more than usual!

Hurdity

Re: Estradot 100 and sleep...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:16:57 PM »

Hi 3isenough

:welcomemm:

I think we need to know a bit more about you, if you don't mind sharing eg how old you are, what your periods/cycle are doing ie where you are on the menopause journey, and what symptoms led you to try HRT? If this is the first time you have tried it then that seems like quite a high dose to start with but I am sure there are reasons for that! For many of us it is disturbed sleep from the night sweats that led us to try HRT (as well as daytime flushes) so for women like me - sleep improved dramatically as the temperature regulation came under control!

Also amazing that you are getting Estradot - seems like the Govt new regulations to prevent the stockpiling etc are maybe doing the trick and some of the products that were difficult to get hold of are now available. I was changed to Estraderm due to no Estradot.....

Hope you sleep better tonight :)

Hurdity x

3isenough

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 10:43:53 PM »

Hi Hurdity. I'm so sorry for my very tardy reply! I missed your reply initally and then I have been away.

I am peri meno aged 41 but with family history of early menopause. with mainly PMS style symptoms increasing over the last few years and many doctors visits ...Migraines/tender boobs/misery.../along with hot flushes at night and the mornings particularly.

I think I dropped on a lucky Dr at the meno clinic, she seems very clued up and my bloods have come back recently indicating low oestrogen, low testosterone and a low androgen index?? Also FSH is raised a bit.

The Estradot has been amazing. I felt so much better. So so much happier and calm. But now on day 10 of the 12 of Utrogestan and struggling a lot. I know I need to persevere with it, but I found using it vaginally as suggested left me with sticky discharge and with double prolapse I found it hard to TMI get it very far in.... so the last few nights I have gone for oral. But I feel dreadful. PMS symptoms in full flow. Not sure if that is the build up over the 10 days or the taking it orally. I have halved the dose as well the last few days. (100 instead of 200mg).

Any advice on how to get through this bit would be welcome. Other than shutting myself away from the world with Netflix and chocolates.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »

Hi 3isenough

Sorry to hear about the side effects of utrogestan. Unfortunately it does have a seadtive effect and also some of the sdie effects can actually be worse when taken orally as there are more metabolic by-roducts as it goes through the liver. However if you don't like taking it vaginally that is the only other way! I've never taken it orally for this reason and just put up with it. In your circumstances if yuou want to continue using it vaginally ( I presume youi have been given the 200 mg dose) you could ask your good doctor if she would prescribe the 200 mg utrogestan capsules which are used for fertility (this dose used to be packaged for hRT but no more) because these come with applicators so you might find this easier?).

Another alternative is the Mirena coil which has a high dose of progestogen delivered directly to the uterus. Initially there can be some side effects but as the coil has been there a while the dose declines gradually over the 4 years it is in place so these should settle. Also it has a testosterone based progestogen and I have read that some women have increased libido ( Not sure if there are any studies on this). Perhaps this is something you could explore with doc?

At a later stage if no improvement in libido you might like to consider asking for testosterone although this is off-licence and there are no products for women at present. Potentially you could ask to be referred to a menopause clinic if your GP feels unable to prescribe?

Hope this helps and you feel better soon :)

Hurdity x