Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Political Correctness and Re-writing History  (Read 9062 times)

Sparrow

Re: Political Correctness and Re-writing History
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 07:17:23 PM »

Well when if the word 'white' is suddenly seen as offensive that is also offensive.

The phase was not about the people of the town but the town itself.  What's the problem.

I much admire the comedian Reginald D. Hunter.  As a Black man from the deep South of America, he has retaken possession of the N word.  It has caused a lot of controversy but all power to him I say.

He calls the PC brigade 'Outragists'.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:17:38 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 07:24:15 PM »

No.  These names are historic.  Choosen for lots of reasons.  I object to statues being removed ......... what ever the current feeling is, those people were making history.  But that is infiltrating the feeling that anything 'coloured': and of course, white and black aren't colours  ;) - should be removed/altered. 

They will be wanting to change the name 'Piddle' next  :D

Sparrow

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 07:27:40 PM »

What about Whitehaven.??

Perhaps 'No particular colour at all Haven'

Rolls of the tongue, doesn't it.

jaycee

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 07:28:49 PM »

Political correctness gone mad in my opinion, you can't say anything these days without it being racist or sexist etc

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »

Blackpool - I wonder how many colour coded towns are across the UK? 

Sparrow

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 07:32:25 PM »

Blackpool - I wonder how many colour coded towns are across the UK?

I nominate you to check.  That should keep you out of mischief.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 07:55:23 PM »

Can't be bothered.  I don't have time to get into any mischief  :-\

ElkWarning

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 11:28:25 PM »

I'm not sure how I can say this any more clearly... it wasn't called 'little white town', it was just a phrase from a book stuck on the signs. So it's not the same as the Black Country, which has been called that for ages. This is why people are objecting to the former and aren't saying anything about the latter. It's a different kettle of fish. Trick is learning to tell the difference.

Sparrow

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 11:40:03 PM »

I think the trick is to only be offended when something is meant to be offending.  This obviously wasn't.

ElkWarning

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 11:47:02 PM »

No. It's not up to the person who feels really distressed to fix the issue. That's victim blaming. If I was to say something really offensive to you and you felt offended, would it be up to you to 'get over it' and then apologise to me for being offended?

getting_old

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 11:50:01 PM »

I think the trick is to only be offended when something is meant to be offending.  This obviously wasn't.

Totally agree.

I really can't see why "little white town" is offensive when it describes a little town with white buildings. Now, if they've all been painted different colours you could argue the description is no longer accurate, but would "little pink town" be offensive if it described a little town with pink buildings?

ElkWarning

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 11:55:03 PM »

So, little white town is just a phrase from a book, not historical and isn't an accurate description. Remind me, why do we need to stick with it?

Sparrow

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 07:39:41 AM »

Because it really doesn't matter. It's a non problem.  Also it has had the name for 150 years.

And who is a 'victim' on this occasion anyway, I why on earth would they feel distress??

From what I have read in the media, nobody of colour has complained.  It just another example of 'white anxiety', or as Reginald D Hunter calls them, the Outragists.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 08:54:50 AM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »

It's not a problem for people of colour.  It's the PC bregade. Again.  >:(

Ladybt28

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »

I'm just offended by what offends people these days! and like Stellajane I am far too non-pc for this forum  :-X
You cannot go back and change history, you might not like what happened, but it happened none the less and you just have to accept it.  It's what happens in the future that can be changed and things have moved forward and changed but now they are moving towards "a world gone mad".   The world is full of "virtue signalling" and "woke victims" but any real victims get passed over because everyone is so busy please the "virtue signallers". 

Getting_old - little pink town probably wouldn't be any good either, people are obsessed with "colour" for all the wrong reasons.
35 years ago I lived in the People's Republic  (sorry Borough) of Haringey who got obsessed by bin bags of all things.  Couldn't have black ones, couldn't have white ones, couldn't have yellow ones, so they settled on Grey one's yet no one had complained about bin bags at all.

I read somewhere someone has complained about pink ribbons being the symbol for Breast Cancer Awareness - they said pink ribbons didn't represent cancer "cancer isn't fluffy and pink"/"pink ribbons are girlie and cancer affects men too".  Don't they have anything better to do? - its recognised the world over??? xx

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5