Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Social Media  (Read 2408 times)

stellajane

Social Media
« on: November 11, 2019, 08:31:47 AM »

Have others noticed how younger generations seem obsessed with documenting every detail of their lives on social media - not necessarily on 'platforms' but just by texting with photo attachments?

While out with various friends I'm shocked at how many times phones ping (mercifully ignored most of the time) and it will be someone's daughter sending a photo of the latest meal some grandchild is eating, or the cute new outfit they're wearing today.

It often brings a smile to my face thinking how my late mother or grandmother would have reacted. I'm sure I'd have been asked in no uncertain times if I had nothing better to do and been politely told they were much too busy to keep responding!

Are they in danger of wearing themselves out in this frantic effort to keep their entire social network informed of such mundane events?

littleminnie

Re: Social Media
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 08:42:26 AM »

There is a market it for it though.  The younger generation are obsessed with following everyone's lives on Facebook, instagram etc. 
Where I work the younger ones take their phones with them everywhere. Even if they are moving away from their desk for 2 minutes, the phone goes with them.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 08:55:27 AM »

It seems it's a permanent thing now.  I use FB just to keep up with a couple of crochet groups I'm in plus old schoolfriends.  My nieces are on there and they literally post every detail of their lives.  yesterday one of them posted a photo of her little boy in a Santa hat playing with toys. In the background were piles and piles of toys like you have never seen. he's 8.  She wrote “Santa is on his way.”  I very nearly replied “looks like your kids are desperate for some toys.”  But I didn't!!

What I hate is all these pouting pictures females post that looks like a cat's backside. And  sticking your tongue out. What's that all about.  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 10:10:29 AM »

A teacher friend I know has a class of those who want to go into the 6th Form.  They have to leave all gadgets behind, that is, do not bring into school.  For 2 days a week.  One has to pick a topic which they are asked to discuss.  There is little eye contact, there is a lot of stuttering, a lot of gaps because they simply are unable to communicate!  That will help them at interviews.  Not!

DH and I were out for light bites recently.  A young lad of about 7 was 'playing about' - opening and shutting the door or not shutting it properly.  Taking items from shelves in the shop to show the man and woman at the table.  She never raised her eyes from the gadget not even to acknowledge the waitress when her food arrived.  Not a glance, not a 'thank you'.  The man didn't say much at all to either of them.  We were there 30 mins and they were in B4 us and still at the table.  No wonder the child was acting up.

If people I am out with continue with their mobiles I leave.  "You obviously have more important people to talk with out in the ether than what I am worth" type of comment as I go.  I don't need them in my Life!

Jellyb

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 11:38:26 AM »

I use FB now & then but it's mainly pictures of my dog!  It was useful a few years ago to organise a school reunions - interesting to see what everyone was up to and easy to get in touch and spread the word.
However, I do think it is over used by many people.  Frankly, I don't care if you are at XX shopping centre, or checking in for coffee.  What I also despise are the obvious cries for attention with the cryptic "life is crap" type posts, which just prompt hoards of "sending you hugs" messages.

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 12:49:43 PM »

I am not and never will be on FB.  Both my adult sons have left it a couple of years ago. I really don't see the point of it.  :-\

As for putting childrens photos on the site, I have no idea whether it is dangerous or not BUT, when those children are adults will they want them out there.  Did anyone ask their permission?

Privacy is very underrated.  We should guard it more carefully.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 01:32:11 PM »

Did anyone switch off gadgets over the weekend as a memory to the fallen?  I didn't, nor did the supermarket have a moment's silence at 11.00 this morning ..........  :'(.  I did watch the service on Sat. evening and the antique fair held 2 mins. silence yesterday. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 02:03:04 PM »

The other summer we were having a pub meal. a young couple with 3 small children came in and sat down and both got their phones out. The kids ran riot round the pub and the parents ignored them.  The kids were left to their own devices and then ran out of the back door and down a big slope to where a river runs through!  they were gone for ages and not once did the parents check they were OK.  If one of those kids had drowned no doubt they would be posting stuff like “they were the most precious thing in my life.”   ::)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 02:30:59 PM »

I have got now in public places like that PF that I say quietly at first, "Do these children belong to anyone?  If so, please get them out from under MY FEET"  ;D

Another tack: "I don't allow my children to run riot in a public place!"  ;D

or I go the table and check whose children belong where, then ask the guardians to collect them up " I am NOT responsible for children here!"

One method usually works.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 02:33:05 PM by CLKD »

Countrygirl

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »

I signed up to Facebook when my daughter was a toddler as it was how parents here kept in contact with each other ten or so years ago as we are out in the back of beyond.

Over the years it changed and i finally came off it last year and my daughter who is desperate to go on it has been told by me noooooooo as it isn't the nice place it use to be x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »

Needs change too so what was appropriate then, probably isn't necessary now.

Anyone remember 'phone boxes  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 06:59:11 PM »

;D

......... and had fag ends on the floor.  If 1 was lucky and pushed button B one might have been surprised  ;) and usually the bottom panes were kicked out.

I look at Facebook occasionally.  Village site and the photos where Mum stays.

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 07:06:09 PM »

Used to be on FB but my ex hacked my account,that was enough for me,deleted my account very promptly,shame because I've lost touch with my work mates in Aberdeen
Oh yes,delightful phone boxes,you had to take a deep breath and hold your nose going into one of them🤢 that's the beeps byeee

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 07:28:19 PM »

;D ...... where ever situated phone boxes smell the same  ;D

Could you not contact your ex-work makes by 'phone and pass on an e-mail number? 

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 07:30:54 PM »

Yep.  Job Ads on Thursdays.  Contacted in a 'phone box.  Or written to the Company by hand, then wait for a reply, then an interview; what to wear; then another wait 4 the reaction letter to arrive  ::)