Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hrt patches  (Read 841 times)

Catherine Digges

Hrt patches
« on: November 07, 2019, 04:00:06 PM »

Hi everyone
Am new to this forum .Have been without periods for 3 years so guess I am post menopause ?
Am thinking of taking hrt patches now as have no fun for life ,cry a few times a day ! With feeling so depressed .
Have been on a antepressant for 20 years ! Seroxat and my symptoms of fatigue,feeling suicidal at times not cause I want to die at all !!! It's just the overwhelming sadness .
Is HRT worth trying ???
I am seeing my gp next week.
Lots of people say it can help with these feelings .
Would be so grateful for any support advice please xxx
Catherine

friend of lhasa apso

Re: Hrt patches
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »

Hi Catherine ,
Welcome to the forum !
    I think I'm post menopause now ,like you . I'm 53 but started with symptoms around 49 /50 with awful acid reflux ,insomnia and fatigue .I put it down to a lot of stress at work at first and permanent nights as a nurse .
I've taken hrt since last year,but it's taken me a bit of chopping and changing to find what suits me .
Thanks to this forum and the lovely ladies on here ,I take evorel 25 patches and have utrogestan capsules for 12 days of the month .I feel a lot better on this ;sleep improved ,more energy and less tearful .
      However my gp hasn't been very helpful ,but I asked for what I wanted and they obliged !
       I hope you find something that suits you and your symptoms improve .
  Big virtual hugs  :foryou: :

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »

Oh yes catherine- I am very pro hrt, I got on it and love, love , love it.
I felt like pooo before I started, but now if has really kicked in after a LOT of tinkering Bingo!
Massive improvement in mental health. I have taken ssri's For the best part of 30 yrs, but the peri anxiety and low mood really was something else. As well as all the other symptoms.
People ask me ‘Oh, but what about breast cancer”- well yes, but I have to live now and in addition I might never get it, might get it in the future, might have got it anyway andmight get run over by a bus tomorrow.
All I know is I feel better at this time.
Go for it

KiltedCupid

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 04:37:14 PM »

Hi Catherine Digges - welcome to the forum. Hope you get lots of good info here. My experience of hrt is that it definitely lifts mood, as well as lots of other good benefits. If you've been period free for 3 years, then yes, you're post meno. Most docs and gynaes prefer post meno women to be on a conti hrt ie. no bleed regime. You'd probably need to start with the lowest dose - 1 pump gel or 25 patch or 1mg tabs and work up from there. Unfortunately, you've joined the hrt brigade at a time of shortages of some products so your doc will be a little limited in what they can prescribe. Why not give it a try, the usual trial period is 3 months for new users which allows any side effects to calm down and the most popular type of hrt is transdermal is patches or gel. Ask more questions if you need anymore help and keep posting as it can be a little daunting at first.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 05:44:51 PM »

Hi Catherine Digges

:welcomemm: from me too :)

Have been using HRT for 12 + years - definitely go for it - and you might be pleasantly surprised and might even be able to wean off the ADs if your depression was hormonal?

I've always been a nil-by-mouth gal when it comes to HRT so have never taken tabs - only transdermal/vaginal HRT but if you are quite young still then tabs are quite easy. One (tablet) that is well-tolerated is Femoston although the post-meno dose is only 1 mg - there is a higher dose of 2 mg but then you go back to having a withdrawal bleed - which might not appeal!

I use patches and separate progesterone which does the job for me :)

Hurdity x