Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Could someone please explain my Hormone Results  (Read 4287 times)

Wrensong

Re: Could someone please explain my Hormone Results
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2019, 04:30:59 PM »

there is limited evidence that estrogens combined with oral micronized progesterone applied for more than 5 years are associated with an increased breast cancer risk

Yes Hurdity, knew I'd read that recently too but didn't know where to lay my hands on it so said nowt!  On your other point about (synthetic) progestogens rather than progesterone & BC, my understanding is that there seems to be an association but whether causative or not I think is still uncertain as no-one is quite sure of the mechanism involved.  But keeping up with research would be a full time job, so I stand to be corrected!  From memory, part of the lesser risk from sequi prog is thought to be because breast cells are sloughed off in a cycle as in fertile years, safeguarding against the over-proliferation that can be involved in malignant disease.  Sorry, this is beyond the scope of the OP's questions, but BC risk & HRT concern us so much & the topic had already been raised in this thread.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:55:02 PM by Wrensong »

dangermouse

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2019, 06:03:55 PM »

Aside from the nature of synthetics to grow cancer cells (if that's true), there is also an assumed risk for natural progesterone not being able to keep oestrogen under control and, thus, allowing oestrogen driven cancers to proliferate.

I don't agree with this but many doctors only trust synthetics to be strong enough. Private BHRT docs are doing wonders with bespoke progesterone to do a gentler but thorough job of balancing oestrogen. I'm sure it will all trickle down to the NHS eventually.

Our own oestrogen in peri can be dangerous if it keeps spiking too high, regardless of those on HRT. AT least with HRT you can control how much oestrogen you take so more needs to be done to keep an eye on peri women not on HRT, who may be assumed as risk free.

I had to have a biopsy for many small and 2 large breast cysts earlier in the year and the first thing they asked was whether I was on oestrogen HRT as there were so many. The only option we have is the combined pill via the NHS. Shocking really.

Mary G

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2019, 06:20:20 PM »

dangermouse, that is very interesting and of course I agree that bespoke hormones are the way forward.  There is a school of thought that body identical progesterone protects the breasts against the effects of oestrogen spikes and puts the brakes on.

This is quite informative:

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2015/07/08/solving-a-breast-cancer-mystery-why-do-double-positive-women-do-better/

I should have been clearer when I said that synthetic progesterone can cause breast cancer.   Synthetic progesterone apparently increases breast cancer risk but let's be clear about this, the vast majority of women who use synthetic progesterone don't develop breast cancer and the risk is very small.   Personally, I don't get on with synthetic progesterone because it causes migraines and I don't like the fact it gives me breast pain (which my bespoke progesterone does not) but that's not to say it is dangerous in any way.

Let's not forget that most women develop BC post menopause while not taking HRT.

Wrensong, re raised blood pressure post menopause, have a Google and you will get plenty of info on the subject.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2019, 06:20:38 PM »

I don't agree with this but many doctors only trust synthetics to be strong enough. Private BHRT docs are doing wonders with bespoke progesterone to do a gentler but thorough job of balancing oestrogen. I'm sure it will all trickle down to the NHS eventually.

I had to have a biopsy for many small and 2 large breast cysts earlier in the year and the first thing they asked was whether I was on oestrogen HRT as there were so many. The only option we have is the combined pill via the NHS. Shocking really.

That's interesting dangermouse- the private BHRT prog route is where I'm headed next if I can't get alt day utro to work for me. I already get twice yearly scans as I had a brush with a polyp last year which gave me quite a fright. I can imagine you felt the same with your breast cysts. I hope you're managing to keep them under control.  As you say, endogenous hormones are so much harder to wrestle into submission.

Wrensong

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2019, 06:42:48 PM »

Interesting link about ER+/PR+ BC Mary G, thank you.  I had googled quickly before asking you about your knowledge of oestrogen lowering BP, but found only articles linked to it raising BP, so was being lazy hoping you'd give me a short cut!  Have just had another go as you suggest & turned up something interesting supporting what you say.  Thank you!

KiltedCupid

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2019, 08:42:18 PM »

Mary G - that's a fascinating study and would underline the importance of tolerable doses of natural progesterone being made available for hrt. I believe there are some new types being road tested but, as with all pharmaceuticals, will take some time to reach the end user. Lucky are the ladies who can tolerate the standard hrt doses of progesterone without side effects.

Mary G

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2019, 03:05:25 PM »

KiltedCupid, yes it's a very interesting study.   More work needs to be done on the progesterone part of HRT but your post is encouraging.   I wonder how many years it will take for the new stuff to come on to the market? 

I wish I could tolerant bog standard HRT, it would make my life much easier and cheaper too.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2019, 03:29:32 PM »

Mary G - I couldn't agree more on tolerable doses. I'm only on 2nd day of utro alt day and already feeling weird. I'm going to keep going with it though and maybe drop it down to every 2 days as my e is low dose. Bespoke prog is my next port of call if, after a couple of months, I can't make this work. It's my only option left before a hysto so it's worth giving it a whirl. 

heavenlyblue

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2019, 10:25:36 AM »

Just wanted to thank all you ladies for contributing to my thread.  All posts are very informative - I do not know what I would have done if I hadn't found this place x

KiltedCupid

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2019, 04:39:36 PM »

No problem Heavenlyblue- as you can see, threads can take twists and turns but it's usually all helpful. Hope you're regime works out for you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]