Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Can I increase estrogen without increasing progesterone?  (Read 1198 times)

shrosphirelass

Can I increase estrogen without increasing progesterone?
« on: November 09, 2019, 11:52:45 AM »

Due to a recurrence of symptoms I'm hoping to add another half a patch to the evorel sequi I currently take, or, if I can't get hold of any one pump of gel. If I did this could I continue with the two weeks of conti (with extra estrogen) as now or would there be insufficient progesterone to keep the lining healthy?

Sgtvhilts

Re: Can I increase estrogen without increasing progesterone?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 02:36:31 PM »

I did- but I am very naughty.LOL
I take Femeston 2mgs and slap 100mcg patches on!!! So I more than doubled it- but it has been sooo effective.
Meno clinic went mental, but my GP heard me out and agreed to prescribe, but she was concerned about my lining growth- I said if you were that concerned you would scan me-cheeky I know- but well she did!!

KiltedCupid

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 04:29:48 PM »

Hi shropshirelass - your conti patch has a potent prog and I've added extra e to both this and fem7 which has levo, also potent. I'm not your doc but I'd say give it a whirl and re-assess in a month's time. If it doesn't work you'll probably start spotting which is an indication you've gone too far with e. My guess, if you're post meno and have no other issues like fibroids it's polyps, is it'll be fine.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 05:37:46 PM »

Due to a recurrence of symptoms I'm hoping to add another half a patch to the evorel sequi I currently take, or, if I can't get hold of any one pump of gel. If I did this could I continue with the two weeks of conti (with extra estrogen) as now or would there be insufficient progesterone to keep the lining healthy?

Hi shropshirelass - well first of all I am sure you know that Evorel sequi and conti are due to run out soon so you might not able able to do this anyway.

Secondly - it is not advisable to do this without say-so from a doc and it all depends on you as an individual - where you are in menopause ( peri- or post-), what your bleeds are like, and when your withdrawal bleed occurs. You're right that there may not be sufficient progestogen to keep the womb lining healthy but the change - if it does build up - is not likely to happen overnight, but would thicken gradually and then you could get breakthrough bleeding. The same goes for gel - ie not advisable to just add it without discussing with doc

If you want to increase oestrogen - why not go for separate oestrogen patches with a progestogen - either progesterone itself (can be used orally or vaginally off-licence) or Provera (tabs)?

I did- but I am very naughty.LOL
I take Femeston 2mgs and slap 100mcg patches on!!! So I more than doubled it- but it has been sooo effective.
Meno clinic went mental, but my GP heard me out and agreed to prescribe, but she was concerned about my lining growth- I said if you were that concerned you would scan me-cheeky I know- but well she did!!

Well that's brilliant Sgtvhilts that your docs has prescibed it and scanned you - this is the right approach - what a personliased treatment eh? Well if you don't ask you don't get!

Hurdity x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 06:42:26 PM »

Thanks all, I'm off to docs on Wednesday so I'll have a chat with him about it and see what he thinks / will allow.

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 12:27:38 PM »

Hi hurdity
I know- I can't believe it. There must be a picture of me up in surgery or something with ‘ warning- just humour this one', or a warning on the system!!!! Or maybe they feel they will listen to me after the gall bladder mess up , where I was right all along and it wasn't down to anxiety and IBS duh.