Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I hate my menopausal big bum  (Read 4384 times)

Hurdity

Re: I hate my menopausal big bum
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 02:04:22 PM »

Hi there noheroicsplease - yes it's coming to terms with it that's the most difficult! Once you come to accept your new shape, (rather than weight gain which one can usually do something about with effort!) - that's the first step. Then you can work out how to look and feel good and flatter yourself!

No! Fat deposition round the hips - a decent bottom with proper buttocks - this is the norm for women - so associated with decent amounts of oestrogen  ie the pear shape - whereas the post-menopausal rounded appleshape (fat around the midriff, and waist but slimmer hips) is associated with low oestrogen and relatively higher testosterone (even if this itself has declined). eg although I am on medium dose HRT my levels aren't very high and I also take testosterone, as well as being in my 60's - so no waist at all, fat around the midriff and waist (even though still in normal BMI range although now at upper end) - but hips as slim post-menopause as they were when younger (ie 36 ins!).

It all depends on hips relative to waist as well as overall measurements....

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 05:42:41 PM »

Hello again ladies.

I read somewhere that your waist measurement should be half of your height and it was suggested that this was a better predictor of health than BMI. I wonder how this works for the post menopausal figure where a disappearing waist is the problem?  Although I have a larger abdomen it is below my waist so my measurement is actually half my height but I realise that isn't the case for many of us. Incidentally when looking at photos of older women taken in the 1950s and 1960s, many of them, even the matronly overweight ones had a discernable waistline so maybe modern living is impacting our figures ?

Take care ladies.

K.

Foxylady

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 06:01:02 PM »

I would love to blame the meno for my big bum, but I'm afraid I've had it a whole lot longer than my peri symptoms!!! ;D ;D ;D.

jaypo

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »

Hahahaha me too foxy

kdee69

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 11:34:11 PM »

I hate my shape. I'm 54 and meno.  I'm probably 3/4 stone heavier but it's all on my stomach and waist. Oh and the revolting flabby bingo wings. But I am sooooo much happier on HRT (my weight definitely got worse when. I started it) so i figure it's swings and roundabouts. I remember one of the best articles I read, I think it may have been Caitlin Moran,  said she came to terms with her own shape by stopping trying to squeeze into her skinny jeans but try something new. I fully embraced that and thank god for a-line dresses from Cos and phase 8 and white trainers. Gone is the muffin top. Well visibly anyway  ;D ;D

Kathleen

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »

Hello again ladies.

I've been looking online for dresses for a formal occasion  and there's clearly a market for the post meno shape. It seems to consist of half length sleeves to hide bingo wings, a wrap over design to accommodate a fuller bosom and an off centre gathering high on the waist to disguise a larger tummy.  The skirt then tapers over the hips and the dress is hemmed at knee length. The reviews talk about what a flattering design the dresses are and the fabric  may have some stretch in it because everyone says they are comfortable to wear as well. I think we are of an age when we want to look as good as possible and being comfortable definitely helps!

Take care ladies.

K.
Pages: 1 [2]