Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hrt/testosterone and joint pains.  (Read 920 times)

tcg10

• First Flush
Hrt/testosterone and joint pains.
« on: October 21, 2019, 07:22:56 PM »

Hi , my first post here but have read  nearly the whole forum over the last few months ! My story so far , I started hrt Elleste Duet 1mg 19 months ago due to moods, sweats and zero libido. Dr upped it to 2mg after 6 months as although moods slightly improved nothing else did. Improved slightly but zero libido and could not stand my other half touching me , that was a real problem. Saw Dr again and got referred to a meno clinic in may , really nice consultant . She put me on 50mg patches and continuous progesterone, to get a proper oestrogen reading she said. Blood test at 8 weeks showed good oestrogen levels and prescribed me testosterone Tostran , I pump every other day or 1/2 a pump everyday. Blood  test due on Wednesday to see levels. Libido improving and response certainly been returning since week 6 .  Had  a niggly headache with the 1 pump every other day but seems ok on the half a pump daily. My main question is has any one found their joint pains worse with testosterone ? Mine seem to be but I may just be falling to bits , lol ! Sorry for long post , made as short as poss.

Hurdity

Re: Hrt/testosterone and joint pains.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:54:25 AM »

Hi tcg10

:welcomemm:

I haven't used Tostran but use the 1% gel which I apply every day. I haven't noticed any joint pains especially - well I do ache a bit but then I'm in my mid 60's  ::).

It may be that as you go further post-menopause your own oestrogen levels are falling so perhaps a higher dose might be beneficial - depending how long since last natural period if indeed you know? How old are you also?

I found an increase to 62.5 ( cut down from 75 patch) does the trick for me although my oestrogen levels are still not high - but adequate and seem to control symptoms. Maybe you could ask for the same and then this gives the option of going to the full 75 if necessary? Downside is that higher dose might lead to breakthrough bleeding depending on absoprtion.

Would be interested to hear what your levels are although these are just a spot check on one particular occasion and they vary somewhat...

Hurdity x

KatyB

Re: Hrt/testosterone and joint pains.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 09:06:46 PM »

Hi tcg10 - I find that my aches and pains are better on testosterone than not, but definitely respond primarily to oestrogen - get much worse if I delay changing a patch or when I've needed to up the dose of patch.