Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Gels - what to ask for?  (Read 590 times)

Nairn

Gels - what to ask for?
« on: November 02, 2019, 12:24:36 PM »

Hi

Looking for some gel advice please.  After stopping HRT for 3 months, I have decided to re-start due to major hot flushes, severe tiredness and aching joints combined with major problems with v. dryness.  I have tried oral and patches but neither has been great, and I'm wondering about gels, but don't know what to ask for.  I would be very appreciative of advice please as to what are the ‘gold standards',  I am 52, and I think post meno, and still have all my various bits intact.  I have an appointment with the consultant next week and really appreciative for any info and recommendations.  I would not rule out oral but sensitive to progesterone and want to stay with the non horse HRT.  My body needs a lot of oestrogen.  I'm also wondering about testerone as sex drive has vanished.

Thanks

Bobidy

Re: Gels - what to ask for?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 02:44:48 PM »

I use Estrogel, which is derived from yams and is body identical. It's rubbed onto inner thighs or outer arms, either am or pm or split both. It dries really quickly and dose (pumps) can be increased half a pump at a time from 1-4 pumps. 2 pumps is the minimum I think for osteoporosis protection.

At first it can feel like a faff putting it on, particularly if you split am and pm but you so get used to it.

It can take a few months to find the dose to suit you but the best bit is that you don't need to keep running to the doctors for larger patches, you can just increase the pumps.

Expect a bit of nausea and breast pain to start but this soon passes.

I've also started Androfemme testosterone by private prescription, other ladies can advise on Nhs testosterone. A pea sized blob of cream on the outer thigh each morning.

For me all changes have been subtle, I think because I don't have night sweats / raging hot flushes. I definitely feel better on it though and want to protect my future health too.

Here's some more info:

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/oestrogel

Nairn

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »

Hi Bobidy

Thanks so much that is super helpful.  Do you also use progesterone?  I understand I need both due to still having all my bits and pieces

Bobidy

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 03:59:22 PM »

You're welcome. No I don't need progesterone as I've had a hysterectomy. I think the ladies on here use the micronised progesterone either orally or vaginally. Again derived from yams so body identical and available on the Nhs. 

Here's some info:

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/micronised-progesterone-or-utrogestan

Nairn

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 04:02:13 PM »

thank you xx