Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 2 male doctors and one male consultant cannot help with my stomach pains  (Read 1320 times)

MJ3010

I am 49, nearly 50,  last proper period was nearly 6 months ago, but with some spotting now and again.  I am fit, healthy and a good weight.  I am not on any medication or HRT etc. 

I have had  “pulling type stomach” pains for the last 5 months, first time lasted 3 weeks, then eased off, came back a few weeks later lasted a couple of weeks, eased off, then came back and has been present for 5 weeks.

Blood and urine tests have found nothing.  Is it a coincidence these tummy pains started after I had my last period.

The pains levels are really low when I sleep / wake up.  Also low when I am out walking.

But while sitting or bending over pain level is much higher.  Sitting with a hot water bottle helps to a degree.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone out there knows what this could be.

Whatsupwiththis

Re: 2 male doctors and one male consultant cannot help with my stomach pains
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 05:31:56 PM »

Could be an ulcer?  GERD?  Gallstones?  Unfortunately when it comes to the gut, there are many dx's that could attribute to your pain.  GERD is quite common during menopause.  Ask for a barium X-ray or ultrasound to find out what's going on.  Good luck and get it sorted.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 07:58:22 PM »

Could you have altered your daily routine, i.e. lifting/bending more often?

I have pulling across the belly when I've been gardening or lifting sacks of bird food.  Where exactly is your pain?

Heartburn/reflux is obviously from the throat area with sensations in the belly area.  Ulcers are quite rare ;-)

Peripurple

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 06:20:22 AM »

Hi, I am in peri menopause currently, and have just developed gastritis.  Took the GP a little time to work it out. So now watching my diet and taking antacids as required.  It comes and goes so could be something to consider

Mogster71

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 06:42:45 AM »

Hi MJ

Do you have any other symptoms than the pulling pain? Change in bowel habits or discomfort after eating? Nausea? Indigestion?

I would definitely ask for more tests as has been mentioned, possibly an ultrasound of your abdomen. The drop in oestrogen at menopause can cause all kinds of mischief. Personally, my IBS has been affected by hormone fluctuations, and at the beginning of my peri I had more problems with acid reflux.... rennies and gaviscon were my friend!

I've had a suspected gallstone/kidney stone and believe me, that was the most painful experience of my life so I think you would know if it was that.

Hope you can get some tests arranged so you can feel better x

MJ3010

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 09:52:00 AM »

Thanks so much for your replies, seeing the GP tomorrow before a potential CT scan on Saturday morning (which I am very concerned about having  :( ) …….. will see what happens …………….

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 10:30:42 AM »

What's the worst that it could be?

Take a list of symptoms with you?

Turkish delight

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 10:52:05 AM »

Hia!

Is the pain in your ovaries?
Does taking any meds such as Buscapan help?

I read it's common for women to develop gastro issues , IBS and such, after age 50 due to hormones changes.
I know it's stressful when your body reacts in an abnormal way for you and you can't read it. I'm in a similar sitch.
Try not to worry as that could add to it.

Keep us posted

TD

Nairn

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »

Hi

Been suffering from similar and finally after lots of tests,  I have come to the conclusion that it's a type of IBS, perhaps driven by the stress of meno -  your system does seem to change on its own with meno to the point to the point where you can forget what your body has been like in the past!   I've been taking 40mg of omeprozole (prescribed) am and pm, and gradually weaning that down.  I also now really ensure that I have enough fibre and water during the day, and I also take a small glass of sunsweet prune juice (about 2 finger widths in a small tumbler - don't take any more!) and that really helps. Swimming/gentle stretching also helps and does hot water in a bath or via hot water bottle - in my case I think the pain is the digestive system ‘spasming'  - which is worse when sitting as I think the gravity forces it to move around.  The other helpful thing has been taking spirit of peppermint in water (don't take it neat) 3/4 times a day or you can take the peppermint capsules which the chemists sell for IBS or buy them on line  peppermint does seem to be really good for tummy problems.  Took me about a week to feel fully better after applying the above routine.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 12:41:32 PM by Nairncat »