Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Candida outbreak on HRT Gel site  (Read 2099 times)

PeriPagan

Candida outbreak on HRT Gel site
« on: November 24, 2019, 08:56:06 PM »

Hi Y'all!

So, my skin has decided for some reason I can't work out to have a candida outbreak on several sites on my body. I know its not caused by the Oestrogel as its also broken out in the crooks of both arms and om my hips where my back brace keeps the skin damp.

However, the big issue is its broken out on my inner thighs, where I put my Oestrogel. And apparently there's an interaction issue between Oestrogen (and progestrogens) and clotrimazole (Canesten). The leaflet that comes with my HRT mentioned problems with pretty much everything that can be put on skin (even SLS - a common ingredient in off the shelf washing products shouldn't be used!)

Anyone else had this issue? How did you solve it? I have reactive depression/anxiety so I need to keep my oestrogen levels stable. If Canesten is going to mess with the levels of oestrogen that can get into my skin I need to consider my course of action carefully, especially as my father will shortly be going into hospital for a kidney removal (66% chance its cancerous) and I'm his carer during convalescence so I can't be a jibbering, depressed wreck who can't leave the house.

Argh, menopause... s*** it!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Candida outbreak on HRT Gel site
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 03:04:37 PM »

Is it thrush?  Did you get a swab taken for diagnosis?

Sorry I haven't responded, I thought about this at 3.30 a.m.  ::).

Canastan made my vagina burn.  I had to sit in a cool bath for over an hour.  It turned out to be vaginal atrophy.

I find LIVE yoghurt applied is soothing. 

What other support do you have for when you Dad comes home?  Is there a dedicated Nurse at the Hospital, maybe contact PALS for advice to see what you are entitled to.  Anything to lower the anxiety levels, he may be allegeable for a carers allowance.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 06:47:40 PM »

Would it be worth asking for a different hrt? Will oral won't interact with it? A patch will need a far smaller area of clear skin than gel.

PeriPagan

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 10:19:15 PM »

Hi All,

I'm guessing its Thrush (Candida albicans). I haven't been to the GP As they are beyond unreachable since our surgery joined with this one. The surgery lost half its staff and the telephone service is bust so you're extremely lucky if you can get to talk to someone, let alone get a bloody appointment!

CKLD, the thrush isn't on my bits! its on my skin elsewhere!

Sheila, Patches are a nono, the outbreak isn't caused by the gel as its also on my hips and in the crook of my elbows which have NEVER had oestrogel near them! I also have 2 forms of eczema (which has flared due to this yeast outbreak) and body-wide pruritus and the sticky stuff on the patches will cause a reaction (not to mention the horrific supply issues)

Apparently, hormonal shifts can cause candida outbreaks. Its slowly improving with Clotrimazole 2% and I'm treating the concurrent atopic/contact dermatitis with steroid cream. I've ordered some miconazole (daktarin) to use on the lingering spots that won't bugger off! 

Its improving and I find that keeping cool and dry as possible helps considerably *mentally grumbles at her hot flushes and bouts of copious sweating*

My dad is due in for surgery (2 procedures  :o) on Monday, no mention of carers has been made but my sister and I are on the case. We've been absolute pains in the butt to his parkinsons physio and finally managed to get him a riser recliner and half step on an emergency basis. We'll also be expecting them to put a care plan in place before he returns here (he will need a district nurse to tend to the wound at absolute minimum) and between my menopausal 'not taking anyones b******t' attitude and my sisters previous work training (she used to deal with ombudsman referral claims for a well know insurance company) we are a force to be feared!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 11:03:28 PM »

well done Girls!  Your Dad should come home with a Care Plan in place.

Maybe show a Pharmacist the outbreak and see if there's something he/she can suggest.  Does it itch?   Guessing ?  thrush thrives on sugars and inhabits sweaty areas though I've been lucky and it was never on my tongue etc. but OH the itching high up  :o .

PeriPagan

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 11:55:31 PM »

Hi CKLD,

2 Pharmacists have seen it and concur with my dx. You have to get a pharmacists clearance to buy clotrimazole 2% or miconazole as they're strong anti-fungals!

It itches like holy hell! the instant it gets warm or wet it flares up. I tend to sleep with towels on the areas to mop up the sweat.

Just In case anyone searches for this issue i'll put this here: There is a interaction issue between estradiol and the 'azoles' in that if its used topical azoles speed up the transit of estradiol though the skin (causing stability level issues) and if you have azole tablets it blocks an enzyme that breaks down estradiol so you end up with increased plasma (blood) levels of oestrogen. Search Drugbank.com for confirmation!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 09:39:12 AM »

Criky that's complicated  :o