Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Not absorbing gel but patches seem to work better. Anyone else?  (Read 2095 times)

AlphabettiSpaghetti

Not absorbing gel but patches seem to work better. Anyone else?
« on: October 28, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »

Been on oestrogel for several years. Bloods have always shown low oestrogen levels despite increasing to 5 and then 6 pumps a day (also take 2 utrogestan a day).
Been on estraderm patches for three days. My anxiety feels like it's been dialled down from a 10/10 to maybe 5/10! Can this be possible? Or is it just a placebo effect?
Has anyone else found that gel didn't work but patches did? We are all told that the gel is the ‘gold standard'... now I'm feeling a bit misled!!

Perinowpost

Re: Not absorbing gel but patches seem to work better. Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 09:57:56 AM »

Hi AlphabettiSpaghetti

Yes that's exactly what happened to me, I tried the gel but didn't absorb it. After 4 days on gel I had an almighty crash, I stuck a patch on and was my old self within a couple of hours. Crazy I know x

KiltedCupid

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »

Ditto perinowpost. In fact just tried an experiment with oestrogel again as I have more of that than patches available and exactly the same thing happened. Crash. Patches work, gel doesn't. Bizarre.

AlphabettiSpaghetti

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 11:30:43 AM »

Well that is bizarre. Because the docs would have us believe that ‘estradiol is estradiol'... I put the first patch on on Saturday afternoon and when I woke on Sunday morn I didn't have the mad jittery ‘we're all doomed, we're all going to die' thoughts and feelings that have accompanied every waking moment for the last god knows how many years. The anxiety hasn't 100% disappeared but it's like the volume has been turned right down. Amazing.

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 12:48:34 PM »

Same here, Oestrogel never did much for me, Sandrena was a tad better. Estradot patches, no absorption problems at all. At the moment I am having to use 2 x 25 mcg Estradot patches plus a sachet of Sandrena to make up the 100 mcg I need. OK so far but could do without the Estradot shortage.

JP x
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 01:52:02 PM by Joaniepat »

KiltedCupid

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 01:19:49 PM »

The utter lack of understanding, particularly around emotional turbulence during menopause by some medical professionals, is astounding. We know these are symptoms, because we are experiencing them! And we didn't experience them before hormone imbalance- why would we make it up? Beggars belief. I'm now using a quarter fem seven sequi patch but using it conti and 1 spray Lenzetto daily. Best I've felt in months. No bleeds, no sweats, energy, clear head, good sleep and the semblance of a libido. I'll take that.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 07:11:06 PM »

Been on oestrogel for several years. Bloods have always shown low oestrogen levels despite increasing to 5 and then 6 pumps a day (also take 2 utrogestan a day).
Been on estraderm patches for three days. My anxiety feels like it's been dialled down from a 10/10 to maybe 5/10! Can this be possible? Or is it just a placebo effect?
Has anyone else found that gel didn't work but patches did? We are all told that the gel is the ‘gold standard'... now I'm feeling a bit misled!!

Glad to hear you're doing well on Estraderm - I'm a surprised fan too! However have always been on patches - first with Evorel - they were fine but didn't like the prog in the combi patches. Then 12 years or more with Estradot since the shortages.

I never tried gel because I was always happy on patches although gave Sandrena a go a year or so back. It didn't work for me although I am sure it would have done if I had tweaked the dose - but because I had been so many years on patches and they worked - why rock the boat in your 60's?!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 07:17:17 PM »

Well that is bizarre. Because the docs would have us believe that ‘estradiol is estradiol'... I put the first patch on on Saturday afternoon and when I woke on Sunday morn I didn't have the mad jittery ‘we're all doomed, we're all going to die' thoughts and feelings that have accompanied every waking moment for the last god knows how many years. The anxiety hasn't 100% disappeared but it's like the volume has been turned right down. Amazing.

Hi there again - only just seen this post as well Alphabettispaghetti. Yes it is absolutely the case the estradiol is estradiol - but any doctor who does not understand that it is the mode of delivery of this active ingredient that is different (tablet, patch or gel),  and determines how much of this gets into our individual system -  should go away and read a bit about HRT!!- ie S/he should understand and accept why one would want to either stay with the same mode of delivery (because it works for us) or change it (because it doesn't)!!!

Hurdity x

AlphabettiSpaghetti

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 10:12:14 AM »

Seems I spoke too soon- after initially feeling brighter for about 3 days, my mood, anxiety and feeling of utter rage returned. I am totally not in control of my emotions! It's ridiculous. The patches also don't seem to stay stuck.
I'm going to persevere with the patches for a few weeks tho because I feel I'm coming to the end of all the options. I just don't seem to absorb oestrogen! I'm getting desperate. So fed up.

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 08:05:58 PM »

Hi, I am age 63 and 5 weeks into 2 pumps estrogel and 100mg utrogestan daily as suggested by Dr at Meno clinic. I have now got thrush, very sore boobs and nipples but fortunately no bleed, so at least that's one blessing! My foot swelled up yesterday and have been feeling weepy and more anxious!. Is all this normal in these early days? I am due to go back for a review in one month. He suggested at initial appt Fem seven patch as an alternative when it is finally available again?? Anyone else experience same ?? Thanks.