Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Not looking forward to winter  (Read 6533 times)

Focus

Not looking forward to winter
« on: October 27, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »

I'm not really a winter person. I feel cold all the time pretty much anyway, and in winter it's much worse - my fingernails go a sort of blue/purple colour a lot of the time.

I hate the long, dark days and I feel really low and unmotivated a lot of the time.

I'm really not like that in life in general, I'm bursting with energy and really positive.

I just love the sunshine and feeling warm.

Maybe it's just feeling harder this year because of all this perimenopause stuff that's going on with me?

Anyone else not looking forward to winter?

sheila99

Re: Not looking forward to winter
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 12:17:02 PM »

Me, I hate it. Cold, wet, dark and miserable. Spent a few years globe trotting and wondering why I came back to the UK.

Ladybt28

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 12:31:22 PM »

That's me all over except for the "motivated person in real life"!  ;D  The only time I am one of those is when I am on holiday and not because I am on holiday (work comes with me when I am on holiday!) but because it will be hot and sunny.  Even at it's hottest the UK is only just about right! but when it is over 70 and above and not humid, it seems I can do anything all of the time.  It's not psychological either because on occasion I have been lucky enough to go away for 3/4 weeks at a time and it doesn't drop off.  Like that as a child too!  Unfortunately can only go on holiday every other year and this time its has been 3 years since the last one  :'(

Cold dark nasty winters, it has got harder as I have got older Focus.  Wish I had the money to live somewhere warm Sheila. On occasion I have even thought about staying in somewhere like Turkey, or Tenerife or well anywhere where it stays over 70 for most of the year!!  I feel so good I could probably manage to doss on the beach without too much trouble :)

Focus

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »

So glad I'm not alone in this!

I totally get what you mean about 'even at its hottest...'. I like it 30 degrees centigrade plus, and it's never that in the part of the UK where I live...not even for one day a year.

Oh well, I've been playing with some makeup this morning. It's helped :)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 12:58:32 PM »

I love warm weather and travelling  abroad but once it's here I really don't mind winter.  We are a dry county so at least it's not often wet compared to other  parts of the country where it seems to rain all the time.

I rather like closing my curtains mid afternoon, putting the heat on and cooking hearty stews and casseroles, jacket potatoes and winter veg.  I get loads of crochet done in winter and our house is lovely and warm and cozy but we still get loads of winter sunshine in due to the position of the house and having huge windows.  I also get through loads more books.  In the summer there are always jobs to do outside which take priority over crochet and reading.

I actually go on more walks in winter than I do in  the summer months too. 

I feel like I am in a comforting cocoon when I am closed in for the winter.  👍

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 01:54:12 PM »

I love the winter and feel energised and just at ease somehow. My mood dips in March and I hate the signs of Spring. April is a really low time. By May I'm beginning to get used to it and then June has the longest day so once I'm over that hump things begin to get better.

I think it's called reverse SAD. I need a 'gloom box' to sit in front of in the summer  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 01:56:18 PM »

I HATE Winter because of the 'C' word  >:( all that exception to do what others want.

When we had C.mas here we were the happiest in the Winter than we had ever been.  I love the Autumn colours.  I like the cold days when I can wrap up but cold and wet I DO NOT DO!  Add wind to that  >:(

I love Feb. when snowdrops etc. begin to peep through and there is Hope.  When I can hang laundry on the line to blow in cool sunshine.  When I can sit by the ponds with a cuppa even if well wrapped up.  I do miss the beach in the Winter  :'(

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 01:59:35 PM »

I love the winter and feel energised and just at ease somehow. My mood dips in March and I hate the signs of Spring. April is a really low time. By May I'm beginning to get used to it and then June has the longest day so once I'm over that hump things begin to get better.

I think it's called reverse SAD. I need a 'gloom box' to sit in front of in the summer  ;D

Taz x

Wow, that's really interesting.   I used to have a neighbour whose favourite month was autumn. 

Another thing I like about winter is lovely boots, scarves, hats etc. 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 02:02:02 PM »

I find boots make my legs and feet much colder.

I have lots of scarves, wooly hats and gloves - in the vehicles and utility room, hall and porch - ready to grab on the impulse to go out.

Viwi

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »

I love winter  ;D Skiing, making snowman, snowball fights.... sadly from 5 years I couldn't do that in UK... only rain, and 2 days per year when it was snowing  :-\ Yeah - I hate British winter :(
When there is a snow days ale longer, as snow is reflecting any light. Meaby I will move to Scotland.  ::)

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 05:02:34 PM »

I dont mind winter if its blue sky cold frosty days, i hate the wet, damp rainy grey days, they make me feel very low.  Im definately a summer person and the hotter the better. Retiring end of next summer so will be spending more time in Lanzarote during the winter months with family and cant wait. I hate it when we put the clocks back too, get up in the dark, home from work in the dark too, i only see my garden at weekends.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 07:55:21 PM »

Taz x

Wow, that's really interesting.   I used to have a neighbour whose favourite month was autumn. 

Another thing I like about winter is lovely boots, scarves, hats etc.

Yes I love boots and scarves. I also love short days. I enjoy getting up while it's still dark as it feels as if I'm in at the beginning of the day. I love watching the light starting to filter across the garden as the day begins and then I really like watching dusk descend at the end of the day. I don't seem to notice that in the summer and I'd have to get up at 4 each morning.  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 08:02:12 PM »

Not an early bird then Taz  :D

A few days ago we were driving through early morning mist and it was filtering through dust - like proper sun rays  :-*

Two hoots

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »

I don't like driving in the dark, especially if it's raining  :-\ my favourite time of year is Spring, bulbs flowering, longer days, not too hot, not too cold and my birthday  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 08:32:35 PM »

Not an early bird then Taz  :D

I don't go to bed till 1 and get up at 6 but 4 a.m. is a bit too early!   ;D

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2 3 4