Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Can IBS symptoms just come on, post menopausal, 2.5 years after starting HRT?  (Read 2342 times)

Noheroicsplease

Hi all,

I've never had any sort of IBS problems before. EVER.

I've been post meno for a few years, and have the mirena and take Estradot. Although I have been VERY slowly weaning off - aiming to come off HRT - by slightly extending the days between changing the patches.

Anyway, I have no idea what's a coincidence but a month ago, my stomach started going really weird. Either I have a burning in my stomach, my stomach feels bloated, sometimes it looks VERY bloated, my bowel movements have changed (softer and slightly more urgent) and a feeling of reflux. I was out in a restaurant on Sat and it felt like i had a real flare up, and it was bad for a few days. It calmed down, but still bloated and today I feel really sore and bloated again. and totally knackered.

I've got a doc's appointment in a week in case it doesn't go. I keep thinking it might be a bug? I didn't think IBS just developed. Worse case, I worry it's something more serious.

I know there's another thread by @turkish delight about stomach symptoms but I didn't want to hijack that.

Tracey E

Hi noheroicplease, I can only go on my own experience I started to get terrible bloating, indigestion and acid reflux approximately 17 months after originally starting HRT. In the end the acid reflux was affecting and causing heart palpitations. One of the side effects of Estrodrial is GERD and this is what I had.

I went to the doctors and discussed various options and I decided to come off the HRT. I just couldn't stand the awful symptons I was getting.

Since stopping HRT my bloating has subsided and the reflux is a lot better. I would have a good discussion with your doctor about your symptons and see what they suggest. Maybe there's some tests they could run to rule out any other possibilities. Good luck. X
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:17:00 PM by Tracey E »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Yep.

As oestrogen levels drop so women may develop hiatus hernia as muscles become lax = reflux and heartburn.

IBS has been my constant for many years, at one point I had little digestive process and it almost killed me.  Medication helps: Colpermin peppermint capsules and Motiliium.  2 be swallowed within an hour of eating main meals.

I have slow transit due to being anorexic for years.  I can feel really uncomfy around the belly and rarely feel 'empty'  :-\.  Sometimes I'll go in the morning then have a sudden dash with small bits passed very quickly as well as loose stools.  Usually when I'm going out 4 the day!

shrosphirelass

Hi noheroics, I developed the same sort as symptoms you describe when I was late peri at age 56. I had a CT colonoscopy and blood tests  which didn't show anything up so consulant suggested it was IBS, never had that before. I was on half a patch for other symptoms and increased to a whole one. My symptoms improved dramatically. The menopause clinic doctor suggested my problems were due to insufficient estrogen. I just wondered whether with reducing your estrogen this could be causing the issues. Good to get checked out at the doctors as well.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = which may account for slow transit etc. occurring at The Change?