Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mirena withdrawal symptoms  (Read 4503 times)

ann58

Re: Mirena withdrawal symptoms
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 11:21:51 PM »

I had my mirena coil removed today and have also stopped the oestrogen patch.
I noticed bleeding as soon as I got home from the doctors and I'm assuming this is normal? Still bleeding tonight. I am 7 years post menopause and age 61

Orangefoot

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 12:07:10 AM »

I had a Mirena a few years ago and had it removed as it made me feel awful -  exacerbating peri as it tunrs out!

Anyhow, a few days later I had a bit of bleeding so popped my mooncup in. Then later that fternoon I had an enormous bleed. Blood running down my trouser leg in H&M and a long walk to the toilets in the shopping centre. I was soaked by the time I got there and thank goodness for individual cubicles with toilet, sink and hand dryer.

Be prepared!

In better news I felt a lot better without it almost immediately. I'm progesterone intolerant though so that may not be how you feel if you've been ok.

Have you seen a haematologist following your TIA? I have a blood clotting disorder and had a DVT at 30. My team are happy for me to have transdermal oestrogen and a Mirena-light called Jaydess. I take Dagibatran, brand name Pradaxa.

My new GP is freaked out by this arrangement and questioned the haematologists' support. GP thinks clot + hormones is a bad combo full stop. Haematology's rationale is that pregnancy is 100+ times the increase in hormones compared to non-pregnant but they don't advise not being pregnant, they prescribe anticoagulation to minimise risk of clotting.

With HRT, the added hormone is very small compared to pregnancy and as I am already anticoagulated (15 years and counting) I am minimising risk.

Clots are scary and for a whil it will feel like it's the only thing you think about - like a big black balloon right in your face. With time, it will drift away and be more on the edge of your vision. It takes a while and comes with feeling stronger physically and getting back to doing more normal things. Be patient with yourself and let anyone who offers you help, help.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:17:36 AM by Orangefoot »

KiltedCupid

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 09:23:15 AM »

ann58 - bleeding is absolutely normal after Mirena removal and in my case it was quite heavy. It's just prog withdrawal so nothing to worry about. Mine lasted a good week at a very heavy fliow.

Orangefoot - I've had 2 Mirenas and found the dose too much, I'd love to hear your comparison with the Jaydess.

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 07:30:36 PM »

I had my mirena coil removed today and have also stopped the oestrogen patch.
I noticed bleeding as soon as I got home from the doctors and I'm assuming this is normal? Still bleeding tonight. I am 7 years post menopause and age 61

Interesting that even at age 61 you have had bleeding - and I presume it is not heavy? If it is then it possibly shows that the Mirena was not actually controlling the growth of your womb lining from the oestrogen. If it was then there would be nothing to shed as you are well post-menopause. I can't remember what dose of oestrogen you were on? If it is very light then probably just as a result of the slightly invasive procedure - of coil removal. For example any vaginal treatment or procedure has the potential to cause bleeding, due to physical trauma - which would be more likely if you have a degree of vaginal atrophy and your tissues would be very thin and fragile? Do you use any topical/local oestrogen?

Hopefully the bleeding has stopped now?

Do let us know!

Hurdity x

Orangefoot

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 11:01:29 PM »

Quote from: KiltedCupid

Orangefoot - I've had 2 Mirenas and found the dose too much, I'd love to hear your comparison with the Jaydess.
[/quote

The Jaydess has been fine. Mirena gave me awful peri symptoms before I realised that's what they were. Utrogestan made me rage and took my mind to such awful places my family asked me not to put another tablet in me.

My bleeding is now very very light and I've had no migraines or breast weirdness that were the most obvious issues with the Mirena.

I had mine fitted at the suggestion of the menopause clinic at the sexual health clinic as my GP wouldn't do it. The sexual health clinic had me agree that I needed it for contraception as they aren't licensed for HRT treatments.

You'd think that a clinic that deals with women's needs would be the natural home of menopause support, but no, that is too logical for health commissioning bodies to contemplate!

KiltedCupid

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2019, 10:43:11 AM »

Orangefoot - many thanks for your reply. I've found it incredibly difficult to have the Jaydess prescribed on NHS, in fact they just won't and there's no way at 57 they'll prescribe it for contraception! I'm using alt day vaginal Utro just now and getting on well with it but I'm still interested in a Jaydess as I'm not particularly charmed at having to stuff more things up my nounou every other day. I saw a gynae a few years back who said he'd fit one for me so I'm keeping that in mind and just wanted to hear of others' experience. Would you mind telling me what dose e you're on and have you had any issues at all with Jaydess?

ann58

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 05:01:40 PM »

Orangefoot, thank you for your reply. The heamatolist advised that if it was her who had the TIA then she would stop hrt so I followed her advise even though the risk of it causing problems is low.

Hurdity..I had totally forgot I had mentioned on here about the bleed from mirena removal and started a new thread which I am unable to remove. I am still bleeding 5 days later.

Kiltedcupid How many years post menopause were you when you had the mirena removed?

Orangefoot

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 01:55:52 AM »

Orangefoot - many thanks for your reply. I've found it incredibly difficult to have the Jaydess prescribed on NHS, in fact they just won't and there's no way at 57 they'll prescribe it for contraception! I'm using alt day vaginal Utro just now and getting on well with it but I'm still interested in a Jaydess as I'm not particularly charmed at having to stuff more things up my nounou every other day. I saw a gynae a few years back who said he'd fit one for me so I'm keeping that in mind and just wanted to hear of others' experience. Would you mind telling me what dose e you're on and have you had any issues at all with Jaydess?

I had mine fitted at the sexual health clinic and they would only do it because I hastily agreed I needed contraception! I'm 46 and still getting bleeds.

The consultant at the menopause clinic said I could have it fitted there if there was a problem locally. The private menopause GP I saw before getting to the meno clinic can fit them in her NHS practice but is only licensed to remove them in private practice.
Pages: 1 [2]