Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Reflux and Breathing Problems  (Read 2924 times)

Bobidy

Reflux and Breathing Problems
« on: October 24, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »

Hi

I'm just wondering if anybody else has similar....

I've had a hiatus hernia for 20 years and periodic reflux, which on the whole I can manage by watching what I eat/drink/lifestyle.

Im having a massive flair up at the moment for some reason and getting the 'lump in the throat' feeling, tight chest etc.

What I find worst is the 'gasping for air' feeling. Which I've only just realised is associated with my reflux, as when I eat it gets a bit better. It seems worse when my stomach is empty.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of my lingering health issues, so think I need to get back to doctors (dreading it).

I really don't want the tablets again as they made things worse when I came off them.

I'm not sure if I have too much or too little stomach acid as both can cause symptoms and I know there is now tests for Helicobacter pylori bacteria.

I just wondering if anybody has had this test etc x

Ladybt28

Re: Reflux and Breathing Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 02:31:29 PM »

Hey Bobidy,
At my worst in peri, I had that "lump in throat" feeling, terrible acid reflux and a feeling like I couldn't inflate my lungs like someone was sitting across my chest.  I also had horrendous nausea and I often felt like I was hungry but felt awful when I ate.
I had permanent ear ache in my right ear and the whole lot lasted 2 years ish!  When I breathed out it sounded like there was a whistle.

I was given lansoprazole on permanent repeat.  It helped with the reflux but nothing else.  My doctor didn't seemed bothered, couldn't find anything wrong with my chest or my throat.  I even had a camera put up my nose and down my throat and they couldn't find anything.

So when I got on the right hrt, the nausea and everything stopped.  Including the earache.  Turns out that the earache and faceache were from jaw clenching due to severe anxiety.  Same with the nausea.  Have no idea why the feeling of not being able to breath came from but my anxiety and panic attacks had been off the scale on a permanent basis and looking back I have come to the conclusion that the whole lot was down to "muscle tension" internal in the stomach and chest and in the throat.  Jaw clenching is known to cause all sorts of problems with the head and face including tooth ache according to my dentist.
They have all been gone now 12 months except for some earache occasionally and acid reflux when I eat the wrong things.  Both are just occasional when I get stressed not permanent like before.  My anxiety and panic attacks stopped 12 months ago despite me having them for about 10 years and having been on all sorts of medication and pain killers which did absolutely nothing.

I don't know if it is the same for you both, but I spent years trying to find solutions for all you describe and other symptoms no could find a cause for no matter how hard they looked.  I reckon my body had gone into total spasm and stayed stuck.  Its so hard to work out whether these things are an actual problem with an easy solution or just the bodies reaction to a very bad meno and worrying about not being able to find the cause just makes it worse.   I can only report what happened to me in hindsight xx

Bobidy

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 04:22:41 PM »

Thanks ladies. I had an endoscopy about 15 years ago which showed the hiatus hernia but never had the hp test. Can this be done at the doctors or by the consultant?

I went to the docs a couple of years ago about the lump in the throat feeling and struggling to breath and after the 'you must be stressed and anxious, have some amytripoline' I had the camera up the nose and down the throat and that was ok, but I think my stomach is the problem as it feels tender.

It's so frustrating as I'm so careful about everything.

I'll brace the doctors again I think, cringe.

Jillm

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 04:34:44 PM »

Sparkle,
I see you had your gall bladder removed, me too. Wondered what on going problems you have. I have been suffering from upper right pain again under ribs, like gall bladder pain , but no where near as severe. This has happened on different occasions in the past 4 years, GP said it sometimes just happens and said could be gastritis.
I also don’t tolerate dairy very well and I now think I may have developed a gluten intolerance.
Not sure if missing gall bladder is the reason or just plane meno again.
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have a friend who lost her gall bladder and can still eat and drink anything she wants, so no help in comparing symptoms as she doesn’t have any.
Some people havee all the luck
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:40:20 PM by Jillm »

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 04:45:45 PM »

Thanks ladies. I had an endoscopy about 15 years ago which showed the hiatus hernia but never had the hp test. Can this be done at the doctors or by the consultant?

I went to the docs a couple of years ago about the lump in the throat feeling and struggling to breath and after the 'you must be stressed and anxious, have some amytripoline' I had the camera up the nose and down the throat and that was ok, but I think my stomach is the problem as it feels tender.

It's so frustrating as I'm so careful about everything.

I'll brace the doctors again I think, cringe.

I have a hiatus hernia diagnosed a year ago by endoscopy. The lump in the throat feeling was caused by ulceration of the oesophagus due to the acid. My stomach was tender but no real pain in the oesophagus.  I think you should ask for a repeat endoscopy to see whether you do need to go back on a PPI for a while to repair any damage to your oesophagus. I do hope you feel better soon.

Taz x

Jillm

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 08:13:04 PM »

Sparkle,
Thanks for your reply, sounds fairly similar. I think I am my own worst enemy as I do not want to give up anything.
Just had a baked potato, slice of rocky road and pink gin and tonic.
Might suffer for this later😡