Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bioidentical HRT and severe PMT type symptoms  (Read 743 times)

paulapo

Bioidentical HRT and severe PMT type symptoms
« on: October 07, 2019, 07:55:11 PM »

Hi all I'm really struggling at the moment and starting to go down hill fast, i have been on the progesterone capsules for 3-4 months, the last  2 months I've tried the 12 days progesterone as very intolerant to progestogen and suffered bad mood swings ( I suffered severe pMT for 2-3 weeks when I used to have periods) and  using 4 pumps of Estrogel,no hot flushes through the night so thats great. i have been suffering from breast tenderness the later part of the progesterone  and mood swings but this month its got even worse. i started to have a light bleed saturday and I've  been a nightmare and the moods are not shifting, this is PMT at its worse and i don't know what to do, things are always great when i start and i've tried patches and tablets. Continuous Progesterone does not agree with me which is why my doc was ok with doing the 12 days. Can anyone offer any advice as I can't go through this every month for 2-3 weeks again of PMT. Thanks for any advice any one can give

Hurdity

Re: Bioidentical HRT and severe PMT type symptoms
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 06:57:32 PM »

Hi paulapo - how old are you and are you peri or post-menopausal? What are your bleeds like on this regime? Are they normally very light?

If you are post-meno  you might want to discuss with your doc about maybe lengthening your cycle a little bit to reduce the amount of time on the progesterone. This can be done safely under supervision provided there is no abnormal bleeding and if doc is prepared to monitor you (ie endometrial scan) if there are any concerns.

For example you could start by going to calendar months rather than conventional 28 day cycle and then maybe 5 weeks, as well as perhaps reducing the Utrogestan to 11 days per cycle? Also taking it vaginally if you are not doing so already as this can also reduce side effects.

Hurdity x

paulapo

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 10:15:55 PM »

Hi Hurdity sorry I should if explained more, I'm 55, post menopause, this is my first light bleed,( and the bleed
Was
Very light) since I've been on biodentical. I've only been on biodentical foe 3-4 months. my normal
Bleeds use to be heavy ,
Clotty and painful and I suffered badly with pmt for about 3 weeks of the month. I do take progesterone. Vaginally. Could I try 7 days progesterone or twice weekly, the less I have to take Of progesterone the better I think.

paulapo

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 05:50:58 PM »

Hi I've just been prescribed Provera 2.5mg due to problems with Utrogestan, I'm very progesterone intolerant, post menopause for 3 years, was in Utrogestan for 3 months first month took for 25 out of 28 days, had pmt type symptoms nets two months took for 12 days out of 28 day cycle, I had one very light period, which lasted 2 days. I've suffered severe pmt type symptoms again so doc has put me in Provera 2.5 mg Continious , question is won't this cause me to have symptoms again with being in a continuous regime ?