Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie needing advice about heavy periods  (Read 1146 times)

Houseproud

Newbie needing advice about heavy periods
« on: October 15, 2019, 09:25:58 PM »

Hi all  :) I'm new on here and the nurse I recently saw suggested I have a look on here to gather information on the peri menopause.  I have had period problems for years.  Last year I became so anaemic due to heavy periods I began fainting, throwing up and having diarrhoea amongst other things.  This culminated in me fainting in my bathroom and cracking my ribs on the bath.  My iron levels are back to normal now, but the heavy periods continue.   I am 40 years old.  I have tried various pills to control things, but none of them agreed with me due to the side effects.  The injection has been suggested but I am wary, and I dont feel I could have the coil due to issues with anything gynaecological (long story - just freaks me out now!). I have read about tranexamic acid.  Has anyone used this? I have also read about a new pill which is different to all the others.  Neither have been suggested by the Drs. I have only found out about them by looking for myself.  I cant cope much longer with the heavy periods. They are affecting everything and really getting me down  :-\ Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks all x

Hurdity

Re: Newbie needing advice about heavy periods
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 07:40:22 AM »

Hi Houseproud  :welcomemm: - that's something I can't say about myself!!

Re heavy bleeding - there is information and advice on this site about different treatments for bleeding here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/heavyperiods.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php

The pills available which are gentler than the synthetic ones are QLAIRA (contains estradiol like hRT + a newer generation progestogen and only has two tablet free days) and ZOELY also contains estradiol. Qlairia has different doses of oestrogen throughout the month but should stop heavy bleeding, give contraception and suppress ovulation eventually so preventing pms symptoms - minimising them anyway. You could do a search on home page of the forum - although this pill is recommended often I don't know anyone using it - so maybe they don't come on the forum! One member did a while back - bryony I think - but she hasn't been on here for ages so hopefully it is suiting her!

All the best and hope this helps

Hurdity x

Houseproud

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 01:15:44 PM »

Thank you Hurdity.  The info you gave me links to is really interesting.  I will need to make an appt with the Doctor again I think, and put my point across.  There are clearly options out there but not all are suggested to the patient  :-\x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 02:11:54 PM »

Hello Houseproud...
Just to say hi! And  :welcomemm:

Let us know how your getting on....xx