Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Large clots -some advice needed  (Read 1078 times)

kdee69

Large clots -some advice needed
« on: October 04, 2019, 05:21:50 PM »

So Im menopausal and for last 6 months on 2 pumps of oestrogel a day and have been taking 75mg Desogesterel for the Progesterone part -which is not licenced. The doctor has just swapped me to 2.5mg daily of Provera which I've not taken yet but arrives tomorrow.
My plan was to just ditch the Desogesterel and start the Provera daily.
I revisited docs to get it changed as I'd started very light bleeding. Old in colour.
However last night I woke with the most monumental period pains and bright red bleeding and what can only be described as thick black clots. I've not had a period for years.
It's not constant but it's enough to need a pad/tampon and there were a fair few over the course of the day. Not loads but more than I've ever had at any time before.

The doctor couldn't seem me as it was too late so I'm waiting for a call back from 111.
I'm now dreadfully worried that my lining is too thick and that's what's causing the bleed

If that was the case and it wasn't cancerous ( I know I'm jumping ahead here) would it be likely to prescribe me Provera to help with that anyway? I read it is sometimes used for endometriosis.
I'm wondering if I should push for a scan through my doctors in the week anyway.
Has anyone any
Experience of such clots that went away with a change in progesterone.
I'm wondering whether there was enough progesterone in the Desogesterel to prevent a thickening. I have tried and tried to work out how much is in them but am failing.

I am so worried and of course , these thing always happen late at the weekend when there's no doctor available. If anyone at all can offer even a smidgen of advice ( or mainly reassurance) you'd be really helping xx

pepperminty

Re: Large clots -some advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 06:15:14 PM »

Hi Kdee69,

Try not to worry. I would call your GP monday and ask for an emergency appointment and for a scan to put your mind at rest. If it gets any worse you can see an out of hours doctor for reassurance.  There are many things that can cause bleeding . Sorry I don't know much about the progesterone you are taking but does it have amounts written anywhere - perhaps post it and someone could interpret for you. Keep us updated .

Peppermintyx.

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 06:48:02 PM »

So Im menopausal and for last 6 months on 2 pumps of oestrogel a day and have been taking 75mg Desogesterel for the Progesterone part -which is not licenced. The doctor has just swapped me to 2.5mg daily of Provera which I've not taken yet but arrives tomorrow.
I revisited docs to get it changed as I'd started very light bleeding. Old in colour.
However last night I woke with the most monumental period pains and bright red bleeding and what can only be described as thick black clots. I've not had a period for years.
It's not constant but it's enough to need a pad/tampon and there were a fair few over the course of the day. Not loads but more than I've ever had at any time before.

The doctor couldn't seem me as it was too late so I'm waiting for a call back from 111.
I'm now dreadfully worried that my lining is too thick and that's what's causing the bleed

If that was the case and it wasn't cancerous ( I know I'm jumping ahead here) would it be likely to prescribe me Provera to help with that anyway? I read it is sometimes used for endometriosis.
I'm wondering if I should push for a scan through my doctors in the week anyway.
Has anyone any
I'm wondering whether there was enough progesterone in the Desogesterel to prevent a thickening. I have tried and tried to work out how much is in them but am failing.

I am so worried and of course , these thing always happen late at the weekend when there's no doctor available. If anyone at all can offer even a smidgen of advice ( or mainly reassurance) you'd be really helping xx
I'm sorry to hear of this, but I hope that sharing my experience will help you.
I bled on hrt for months and put off getting it investigated as I was scared of having a hystersocopy.
Eventually I saw the gynae and he scanned me and found a slight thickening, but after hystersocopy, he found no cancer.
My prog was raised, and all was well, but like you, a few months later, I got bleeding and a huge 4 inch horrible coloured clot after monumental period pain.
GP reduced my evorel and night sweats came back.
I got a slight red brown streak on my tissue after a wee last night, but Dr Currie said wait at least 3 months after changes in hrt before further invesigation, and Ive had no further bleeds today.
I think the fear of something is often worse than the actuality, I agonised over this for months, but once Gynae verified no cancer all my worries were for nothing, and i am hoping last nights bleed was a blip or just settling down as its less than 3 months since my evorel reduction.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 06:58:52 PM »

Has anyone any

I had a similar experience last Sunday after 6 months of Evorel Conti. It only stayed quite heavy for 2 to 3 days but I still have a slight trickle. I was told by the meno consultant that this was normal during the 1st 6 months or so.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 07:06:55 PM »

Any un-towards bleeding after a gap or more than 12 months without should be discussed with a Nurse/GP. 

Black blood should always be reported as it's been held up somewhere, fresh [bright red] isn't such a worry.  Let us know how you get on.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 07:19:26 AM by CLKD »

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 08:32:00 PM »

Hi pepperminty

Yes I agree with pepperminty - make an emergency appt on Monday - and with a doctor not a nurse. It is not a medical emergency that needs treatment before then ( unless you end up gushing blood non-stop ie much more than normal period!) but one that warrants same day appointment when you call.

Yes the most likely explanation is that the desogestrel has not kept your lining thin enough and perhaps it is this which is now coming away. As it was not licensed the doc should have no problem with sending you for a scan and in the circumstances - ie your not bleeding previously on HRT - should hopefully refer you under the 2 week rule - although bleeding on HRT is always far less of a worry than a similar post-meno bleed if you are not on HRT - because you are taking a progestogen. Another possibility is a fibroid or polyp or some other abnormaility?

It's not possible to work out how much of that progestgoen to take but if you were only taking one Cerazette ( 75 mcg) - then I would have thought that would be insufficient for a medium dose oestrogen - although there is no indication for a dose as it's not licesned for HRT as you say. The only thing I'm going on is for another minipill such as Noriday which is 0.35 mg norethisterone. The amount needed for medium dose HRT combi tablets is 1 mg norethisterone so the mini pill is much less. Unless there are any other data on this following the same logic I would have thought 2 desogestrel tabelts as a minimum. If you have been taking two and still getting this bleeding it does indicate that it may not be working for you.

Also medium dose combi pills (2 mg oestrogen) contain 5 mg Provera so especially if you hsve a thickened lining I would speak to your doc and ask to take this dose. Here are all the post-meno pills: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php  Provera is the brand name for MPA.

Try not to worry over the weekend although I can understand your concern. Nothing is going to change over the weekend (hopefully!). Do something relaxing if you can to take your mind off the bleeding ( easier said than done if you haven't bled for that long!).

Take care...

Hurdity x

kdee69

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 09:52:08 PM »

Honestly I can't tell you all how much your posts mean.  This site is a godsend and I can't thank you enough.
So an update, after my call back from a first tier, then a second from a nurse, she pretty much stressed how important it was for me to go to the on call doctors based at my local hospital. I was in and out in 15 mins. To cut a long story short, the on call doctor said he couldn't say what it was and to make an appt with my doctor on Monday ( exactly as you've said above) but he did add the gem of “ and you should stop the HRT till then”. He even advised it was probably the Oestrogen even after I'd discussed the non licenced Desogesterel. I am so loathed to criticise him because I have nothing but respect for anyone who works in a hospital especially on a Friday night ( my son is a Radiographer in a London hospital and he says Friday night's are hell 😢) but he honestly didn't have a clue. As I'd mentioned clots on the phone I figure it triggers the score such that they want you to come in.

The info and advice and reassurance you've all posted on here is the thing that has helped me the most.
I will update the post so that anyone else who finds themselves in a similar position can see what the outcome was

Thank you all once again. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 07:22:03 AM »

Many medics will suggest stopping medication that may produce unexpected bleeds.  Did you get an appt. - are you able to walk into the Surgery and explain rather than phoning on Monday morning?

Let us know.

kdee69

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 02:09:06 PM »

I wanted to provide an update to this. I saw the doctor (a locum) the following Monday and I have to say she was lovely.
It did actually coincide with me finding a lump in my right breast also over that weekend. You couldn't write it!
The doctor said she would refer me for a scan but she suspected , as above, that it probably was due to the Desogesterel not providing me with a strong enough amount of Progesterone. She wanted me to see how I went on with the Provera as she suspected the bleeding would stop. Well it has. I am still waiting for the scan but she wants me to have it regardless.
I am now sat in the breast clinic waiting for my part three of the three part process. Examination, mammogram and next ultrasound. Doctor seems to think all is ok and it's just tissue.
So all in all potentially a good outcome to what was a terribly worrying weekend. 🤞
Please can I just say though, without these threads above, I think I'd have gone under. You have no idea just how important the replies are.

🙏 thank you so much x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 08:25:30 AM »

Hi kdee69

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about your breast lump and hoping that the outcome is that it is nothing serious.

Re the bleeding and the progestogen - sounds like you had a good appointment with someone sympathetic and knowledgeable which is just what you need when you are worried! Are you still just on the 2.5 mg Provera? That's good that she requested a scan for you - just to put your mind at rest that the bleeding wasn't caused by anything other than insufficient progesterone.

What a worrying time for you!

Thank-you for your kind words to us all kdee - it does make it all worthwhile as we sit here thinking and typing! It all seems so anonymous but so pleased our replies have been helpful :)

Do update us on the outcomne of all your investigations and all the best.

Hurdity x

kdee69

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 08:31:00 AM »

Thanks Hurdity

I wish there was a “like” button so that we could recommend these responses. And also thank you all.

So the outcome of the breast ( at least) was all clear. She said something about age, glands, muscle but to be honest, I didn't take it in. I just heard “it all looks perfectly normal”. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I slept so well last night that I now feel ready for anything

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 08:38:31 AM »

Yay that's great :)

Hurdity x