Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Intrarosa has arrived!  (Read 15084 times)

KiltedCupid

Intrarosa has arrived!
« on: October 21, 2019, 05:30:05 PM »

After continuing irritation on Vagifem, I asked a work colleague to bring some Intrarosa back from her hols. My GP didn't have it available on her prescribing formulary, not sure if that's the case across the country.

I'm starting it tonight and will post my findings.

For any ladies not familiar with this product, I'll try to post a link below.

https://www.mims.co.uk/new-non-oestrogen-treatment-vaginal-menopause-symptoms/womens-health/article/1589753

bear

Re: Intrarosa has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »

Hi KiltedCupid,

Great news, I hope it works without any side effects.  :)

BeaR.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 07:44:23 PM »

Thanks BeaR - I'm hoping there's no irritation like Vagifem caused. The product is a waxy, thin bullet shape so I'm hopeful the fillers will be natural.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 08:12:42 AM »

Thank you Maryjane. I used one last night and absolutely no irritation so that's great. Do you know people who use it?

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 08:19:43 AM »

It is licensed in UK so your GP may well be able to bypass the formulary as seems to be the case of many of us and our preferred HRT products. Might require some persistence in the face of resistance as it may well be costly compared with Vagifem? Buying it abroad is not the same!!!  We all need to have free access to NHS approved meds if we wish although ui can see that new products might be slow to get going...

There have been a number of posts about this product over the last couple of years including links to more detailed info so anyone who want further info could do a search? The prescribing info on EMC is here:
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/9986/smpc

The unusual thing about this one as Maryjane says is that it has almost no fillers - from what I can see it is just DHEA dispersed in hard fat - what UK info calls "adeps solidus" but looking at the US info is "HYDROGENATED COCO-GLYCERIDES " if it is exactly the same - ie coconut oil so completely inert!

I would love to try this as a previous long term user of the similar type of waxy vaginal pessaires which were discontinued - Orthogynest pessaries - these were the best vag treatment I have used in terms of the mode of delivery - these did not irritate my bladder as Vagifem does (which I use mostly now) and gave additional lubrication as the capsules melted in the vaginal tissues and gradually oozed out. I imagine that Intrarosa will work in a similar way - although its efficacy will not necessarily be the same in every woman. This won't be to everyone's taste as you will almost definitely have to wear a panti-liner I would have thought but I liked the additional lubrication to the external areas - which Vagifem does not provide.

Do feedback on how you find it kilted cupid?

It's not yet on the menus (on this site) ....

Hurdity x

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 08:32:34 AM »

Thank you Maryjane. I used one last night and absolutely no irritation so that's great. Do you know people who use it?

There are some on the  Vaginal Atrophy Facebook group run by Jane Lewis (aka Maryjane).
JP x

Perinowpost

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 02:11:10 PM »

I've just been for my hrt review and asked for intrarosa and got it no problems. I love my GP's they're so forward thinking. I'll trial it and report back. I'm looking forward to it as I've never liked Vagifem (I like ovestin but use that on the outside) Vagifem gives me a sore bladder!x

KiltedCupid

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 02:17:40 PM »

HURDITY I posted it wrong it should have said “ FAR from natural “

I missed the far out it's got some ingredients in that I consider 🤔 and it has a warning saying can cause irritation at a later date.

I have gone back & corrected my post. Looking it up 2 very long ingredients that are/ have/ can cause irritation can't find it ATM.

As with all products some get in well others don't so trial & error.

Thanks Maryjane - as posted by hurdily, all I can find is coconut oil as a filler as listed on the spc. Would you let us know what else us used.

Many thanks.

Maryjane

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 03:12:23 PM »

I have removed my comments so as not to cause 😳 I must have been thinking of another new product out there as there is definitely a new product that says can cause irritation after a while.

But as you say not this one that I can see, it's only got 2 lots of 12 weeks trials however which is rather low IMO so hope it helps. 😊

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 04:21:39 PM »

I've just been for my hrt review and asked for intrarosa and got it no problems. I love my GP's they're so forward thinking. I'll trial it and report back. I'm looking forward to it as I've never liked Vagifem (I like ovestin but use that on the outside) Vagifem gives me a sore bladder!x

Wow Perinowpost - i think you're the first (to post!) on this forum to get this prescribed on NHS! Well done!!! yes please do report back.  What an enlightened GP you must have. This gives hope to the many women out there for whom other products are not desirable for one reason or another, and who can't afford either private treatment or trips abroad (and who don't have pals going abroad!!).

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 04:38:01 PM »

I have removed my comments so as not to cause 😳 I must have been thinking of another new product out there as there is definitely a new product that says can cause irritation after a while.

But as you say not this one that I can see, it's only got 2 lots of 12 weeks trials however which is rather low IMO so hope it helps. 😊

No probs Maryjane!! Easily done - with so much going on!

I have found a very detailed product monograph on this you might be interested in although it is so long you might glaze over after a while - I certainly did so just had a quick skim of parts of it!!

Several things stood out:

There were 6 trials investigating it. One of these was in fact a 52 week study.

Second thing and pretty important I would say - is that only DAILY USE provides a comparable efficacy with current products - Vagifem and the estriol creams. The studies (ie Intrarosa) did not in fact compare these directly from what I gather but comparisons were made with the other products (ie Vagifem etc) from the studies into them (ie Vagifem etc). Daily use may prove a no-no for some. The study which looked at daily for a fortnight followed by twice weekly maintenance dose showed no significant difference from placebo after 12 weeks.

However as with the other two new products (Blissel and Imvaggis if I've got the names right!) because its efficacy and safety did not include women on systemic HRT then the info states it should not be used in women on concurrent HRT. This looks like it is precautionary.

Other info I gleaned somewhere in the tome - systemic levels of androgens and estrone after treatment ( 12 weeks I think) were significantly different from placebo but within post-menopausal range.

Increase in systemic levels of estradiol and estrone were  comparable with 10 mcg Vagifem ( not compared directly in the Intrarosa study).

There was a strong placebo effect with regard to painful intercourse - thought to be due to the lubricating effect of the fillers (the coconut oil derived product) ie placebo capsules were somewhat effective just in this measure of efficacy (I didn't note the stats!).

There were questions marks over the effect on the breast especially but this as always is complex re oestrogen receptive cancers and systemic exposure sometimes to even low dose of estradiol?

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/assessment-report/intrarosa-epar-public-assessment-report_en.pdf

Those are just random points I picked out as of interest so hope this is helpful :)

Hurdity x

KiltedCupid

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 04:41:36 PM »

Maryjane - thank you, I managed to find a 52 week trial whilst searching online. Not sure a new product would be allowed to be launched with only 2 x 12 week trials? It's been around in US for a while so perhaps we only require short trials in addition to theirs.

Perinowpost - you are lucky to have it prescribed by gp. Mine flatly refuses to prescribe anything off formulary so some creativity in procurement was required.

I hope it suits you.

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 04:44:14 PM »

Looks like you posted at the same time as me kilted cupid but if you're interested do look at the link which gives details of the trials and the product info before EU approval.

Hurdity x

KiltedCupid

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 04:45:22 PM »

Thank you hurdily - I've researched it quite well already.

Maryjane

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »

Lol that will teach me not to research myself ( which I normally do ) & go on hear say ( which came from a Gynae not directly to me but from a 3rd party) 🙄.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4