Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bowel issues  (Read 1247 times)

shrosphirelass

Bowel issues
« on: October 21, 2019, 04:05:11 PM »

Last year I had stomach issues, with sporadic discomfort, flatulence, a change in bowel habit to more urgency and weight loss. I had a CT colonoscopy which thankfully came back clear. I increased HRT from half a patch to a whole one and most issues resolved. Fast forward to around 2 months ago and my bowels have become more sluggish again (which is what they always used to be like) and I noticed the occasional spot of blood, I'm guessing caused by a small tear. I am recently experincing extreme flatulence! especially at night, with no particular discomfort. However, today when I went to the toilet, more bright red blood was there, which was a bit scary. The only changes I can think of are starting local estrogen which can't be related and reducing alcohol content to just the odd glass of wine.
I really don't want to have investigations unless I absolutely need to as my last experience set me back for weeks and caused considerable pain and further weight loss. I'm hoping that the blood as it is bright red isn't anything sinister and the flatulence settles down. My headaches have also increased, so it may be that my natural estrogen levels have now dropped to a menopausal state. Any thoughts?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bowel issues
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 04:10:26 PM »

I expect if it's bright red fresh blood it's a small tear.  Maybe get the Practice Nurse to have a look-see - or try an over the counter prep i.e. Anusol gently applied as high up as possible.

I have slow transit  >:(

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 06:23:26 PM »

Could be piles.  They are not alway near the anus but can be much higher up out of sight. Large ones sometimes burst.

Turkish delight

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 08:00:06 PM »

Hia!

It's most probably nothing to worry about. Backed up by all the tests being clear. Did you have blood in the 1st instance before testing?

Having said this, better safe than sorry. I would just get a gp apmnt to have a digital exam, as I have heard of at least 2 cases(the bowel babe being one) where fresh bright blood was a polyp that was low down near the entrance of the anus so the blood was coming out bright/fresh. A digital exam would be able to rule that out at least.

Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:02:04 PM by Turkish delight »