Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Clueless about Menopause!  (Read 1365 times)

JackieS

Clueless about Menopause!
« on: November 25, 2019, 12:42:41 PM »

Hi everyone,
It is ages since my last period (about 8 years) I vaguely remember awful prolonged bleeding for which I had Norethisterone. Then my periods stopped, and I was getting awful hot flushes and anxiety, so was put on Everol Conti. All was fine until the recent issues with getting it.  My Doctor gave me a prescription for Estraderm MX100, but then told me it would be dangerous for me to have without additional oral hormones. I decided to try without hrt but really don't know what to expect. I have been offmy patches for just over a week and my Daughters have both noticed I have a very short fuse. Could this be connected? How long is it normal to be on hrt? I have been on it about three years,and am 58. Also, will Know have bleeding again?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Clueless about Menopause!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 01:57:01 PM »

Hi!  HORMONES  >:(

Trot along to your local Pharmacist to see what he/she says, they have private rooms these days. 

What did your Doctor mean by 'dangerous'?

1 can be on HRT for ever if necessary. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 03:47:14 PM »

Hi!  HORMONES  >:(

Trot along to your local Pharmacist to see what he/she says, they have private rooms these days. 

What did your Doctor mean by 'dangerous'?

1 can be on HRT for ever if necessary.

Indeed one can, but as I'm sure you realise a progesterone is needed alongside oestrogen if one still has a uterus, so I expect that was the danger the OP's doctor was referring to, ie, danger of endometrial proliferation.

JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 03:49:05 PM »

Maybe GPs should take more time in explaining issues or refer patients to the Practice Nurse ....... there isn't any joined up thinking!!

yellowflower

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 09:40:27 PM »

There seems to be two very differing opinions on hormones in menopause here. I have refused them initially as a way to control bleeding in peri and also to address my uterine prolapse. Both were eventually fixed via surgery. My doctors could not guarantee the safety of long term (or even short term) hormone use. I was given a leaflet with the pros and cons and decided the "cons" were not worth risking. I also have a migraine history and have had a prolactinoma, so I decided that I would opt for diet, exercise and a natural approach.

If a doctor tells you that hormones are "safe", especially long term, seek more opinions.

Wilks

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 09:53:05 PM »

Estraderm is an oestrogen only patch so you would need to also take progesterone if you have a uterus to mitigate the risks of endometrial cancer. Progesterone can be taken orally (e.g. utrogestan).

No doctor can ever “guarantee the safety” of any medication, including HRT so it depends how bad your symptoms are. Personally, I was suicidal before I started HRT so it's literally been a life-saver for me.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »

Hi JackieS - if you really like evorel conti and found it worked without side effects, there are some pharmacies online who have it in stock and will accept an NHS prescriptions at usual cost. You say you've been prescribed 100 estraderm patches, if you were only using 1 of the evorel conti patches that's only a 50 dose and so the new patch would be double your old dose. You'd probably feel unwell doubling your dose so unless your doc told you to cut the new patches in half, you should check with him/her that they meant you to be on that higher dose.

When they said you need additional hormones they mean a progestin which stops the womb lining from building up and causing problem bleeding. Did they say what they would give you in terms of progestin?

In terms of your mood, it's probably because you've stopped the hrt and your having what's called progesterone withdrawal symptoms, also known as pms, the same as you would have before a period when younger. You may get a bleed but it's unlikely to be much if at all as you were using a conti hrt which keeps the womb lining thin and bleed free, be prepared but it shouldn't be much if it does appear. If you decide to stay off hrt you won't have any more bleeds as you're now post menopausal. If you did have any unusual bleeding without hrt, further down the line, it's always important to get it checked out by your doc.

Hope that helps and let us know what you decide.