Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Premarin  (Read 1055 times)

ricekrispie

Premarin
« on: October 18, 2019, 01:15:36 PM »

Do we prescribe Premarin in the UK and is it still a mare's urine derived product?

Whatsupwiththis

Re: Premarin
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 01:31:09 PM »

Hi.  I live in Canada where there are numerous PMU farms (pregnant Mare's Urine).  It is BEYOND cruel!.  The mares are strapped up to a machine ALL DAY.  The foals are destroyed the day they are born.  These poor animals live a horrific life.  PLEASE DO NOT USE PERMARIN!

Ladybt28

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 04:21:23 PM »

Yes you can get Premarin in the UK and yes it is still a derived product.

friend of lhasa apso

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 01:27:57 AM »

What's up with this, I am shocked by what I've just read ;how is this cruelty allowed?
     I think premarin is classed as an old fashioned hrt now .But are there not laws against this in Canada? Or some form of animal protection societies ?
     I hope this doesn't go on here.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 08:17:47 AM »

From what I can ascertain yes it is still produced from pregnant mares urine but you would have to dig deep to find out information on this because it is hidden by the manufacturers - and a clever marketing ploy deleting the "equine" from the description of this hormone preparation artificially sanitises it and disguises the origin - never more so than with the new product Duavive - otherwise revolutionary!

There are some synthetic conjugated oestrogens available under various names in US and Canada but I don't know how widespread their use is - if you want to use such a product and in one of these conturies then maybe worth exploring?

There is some information here https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-experimentation/animals-used-experimentation-factsheets/premarin-prescription-cruelty/ but the reports are now somewhat out of date so maybe the siutation regarding conditions etc has improved? I still would not ever want to use this product aside from any biological considerations!

Hurdity x

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 01:00:48 PM »

Hi friend...there is a law in place where the mares are to be allowed outside for short periods but, I know this only too well, most PMU facilities don't bother with the law.  It is heavily monitored by govt. but it is still cruel.  Some of the mares are old, lame, no longer wanted...it is DISGUSTING.  As well many researchers have stated that these hormones are NOT found in humans.  If interested do reseach.  There are much better products on the market that are plant derivatives and doesn't harm animals.

Harmony

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 01:31:02 PM »

It's still produced in the same horrific way, and some of the "farms" are in China. 😡  China is amongst the worst countries in the world to be an animal, my heart bleeds for every animal there.  😢 Please don't use any of the  conjugated oestrogen products, if people stopped using them, the horrendous cruelty the horses endure would end. Apparently they've removed the word "equine", hoping that people won't know that it's obtained cruelly from horses.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:34:51 PM by Harmony »

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »

Right on Harmony.