Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vaginal uterogestan and oestrogen gel  (Read 742 times)

Macca65

Vaginal uterogestan and oestrogen gel
« on: October 19, 2019, 12:05:17 PM »

Anyone on vaginal uterogestan and oestrogen gel?
Thinking of asking the doc for this but not sure which strength of gel to ask for ?
I figure it's trial and error, but need to start somewhere 😂
Look forward to some clarity on this?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaginal uterogestan and oestrogen gel
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »

Hi! put the names into the search box - separately - see which threads pop up and make notes ;-)

KiltedCupid

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 01:06:13 PM »

Macca65 - I've been on it/on it/off it. Now off it.

What have you used other than tib? Just to get an idea of your needs. What's your stage of meno?

Harmony

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 01:08:26 PM »

The pump pack of gel only comes in one strength, you alter the dosage by the number of pumps you use. It also comes in sachets called Sandrena which are one days worth, I think. Most people use the pump pack. I stopped taking this combination after 10 weeks on it, as it stopped my hot flushes, which were only mild and a few a day, but unfortunately it did nothing for the symptoms which I was hoping for some relief from. I started on 2 pumps of gel a day, then increased to 2 1/2 after 6 weeks or so as I wasn't getting the improvement I hoped for. I've read about some people starting on one pump a day, but that's very low. The leaflet states 2-4 pumps a day.

My gp only prescribed one bottle of the gel as she had no idea about it - she thought one pump was a days dose. I was supposed to have a 3 month supply of HRT to try, she gave me enough utrogestan for 3 months! If your gp is willing to give you a 3 month supply, make sure they're aware that 2 pumps is the usual starting dose so you'll need 3 bottles. Each bottle contains 64 pumps.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:51:57 PM by Harmony »

Macca65

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »

Thanks harmony,
I pay for my prescriptions so it gets quite costly if you have to repeat it every month doesn't it?🙄

Macca65

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 03:41:24 PM »

Hi kiltedcupid,
I have tried two types of tablets ,neither of them worked for me, can't remember their names as it was about six years ago and my meno brain is rubbish at the moment!
The last thing I had after going to meno clinic was evorel patches, ( various strengths) and uterogestan 100 mg continuously as I stopped periods about 5 years ago .
The patches caused bad skin irritations and the uterogestan caused regular bleeding. So had a break and went on tibolone for 9 months.
The aches and pains stopped after about 4 months and all was great until I started to bleed.
I stopped a couple of weeks ago now so here I am deciding what to try next.🤷🏻‍♀️

KiltedCupid

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 10:19:11 PM »

Macca65 - the usual starting dose for gel is 2 pumps of oestrogel or 1mg of sandrena. You'd need 100 utro daily for a conti regime or 200 for 12 days every 4 weeks for sequi regime. The sequi regime can be extended so you have longer on oestrogen only but you'd need doc's approval for this. Utro can be used vaginally or orally.