Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Moving from hrt to just vaginal gel  (Read 3821 times)

Tindia

Moving from hrt to just vaginal gel
« on: October 18, 2019, 09:17:36 AM »

Turning again to the lived experiences and knowledge of women on this forum...
I'm 52 and have been using hrt for 4 years. I have been prescribed Blissel estriol vaginal gel for itching, dampness and nocturia. The gp was vague.
1) If I want to have a break (I would like to assess where I am and how my body feels without the low dose utrogestan and Estrogel) can I use the vaginal gel without progesterone?
2) Do any of you just use this method to control specific genito urinary  symptoms and ride out menopause in that way?
Thank you

suzysunday

Re: Moving from hrt to just vaginal gel
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 09:52:36 AM »

Hi tindia.  I am 61 and was on hrt for vaginal atrophy 3 years ago.  I was on it for 18 months and came off due to it causing bleeding.  Now I just use local ovestin cream for urine problems after it all kicking in when I stopped hrt.  It took months to settle down but just about there though still have off days.  You can use these treatments like estriol, ovestin and vagifem without progesterone.  There is loads of information on this forum about it.  It's what's best for individuals and you can try out different things.  Though older than you, I plan to stick with ovestin and no other hrt, if all goes well.  Women have to use it for life to control symptoms.

Tindia

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 11:33:22 AM »

Thank you, that's helpful. I have been on sequential hrt but not had a bleed for about a year which I think makes me one of those rare cases but doesn't seem to worry any GP's. My biggest and so far most debilitating symptoms are getting up throughout the night, itching and a watery discharge, if the hrt was keeping other symptoms at bay I would like to be clearer about them and where I am in the journey.
I'm 4 days in on the gel and all of my symptoms are worse apart from the itching so I think the 3 weeks will be interesting in assessing this prescription too.
It takes at least 4 weeks to get a doctors appointment so this forum is invaluable as a sounding board and source of information.
Thank you again for taking the time to respond x

suzysunday

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 07:15:40 PM »

I forgot to mention my bleeding was post meno so taken seriously.  Have you been given a diagnosis for the itching etc, as it may be VA.  Many on this forum use systemic and local hrt for VA. The local seems effective for urinary problems.  Many on here use Vagifem which is a pessary. The ovestin is a cream and I think a bit less messy than estriol from what I read.  It can take a long time of using to see improvement. 
Not good taking so long for appointment s.  Do they not do telephone cosultation?