Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT & Gut  (Read 1482 times)

Wolfie

HRT & Gut
« on: October 15, 2019, 12:16:47 PM »

Hi All,
Having major gut issues, if linked to being peri menopausal. Do you think by taking HRT this would help to relieve the issue?
Many Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT & Gut
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 12:17:57 PM »

Hello!  Gut issues can become more noticeable or start during menopause.  Don't know if HRT would help.

Larkspur12

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 04:23:57 PM »

I have to be really careful with my gut, I have IBS but I've managed to control it quite well for a good while. However when I went back on the pill back in the summer it really flared up, I came off the pill and went on HRT (long story!) since being on the pill and HRT I must admit that it's got worse, the reflux has been terrible. I've been considering stopping the HRT because of it. Apparently the Estrogen can cause the valve between your stomach and oesophagus to relax and that's when the acid rises and aggravates your throat, causing a lump sensation. If you do try HRT try and avoid tablets. I'm using the patch and Utrogestan vaginally. Unfortunately I think the pill at the start really messed things up, so I'm not sure what's caused what!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 05:17:50 PM »

Hi Wolfie. If the gut issues are new to you then you do need to get yourself checked out by the GP just to make sure nothing else is going on. What are your symptoms?

Taz x  :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 07:47:15 PM »

When oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax which includes the digestive system. Hiatus Hernia is common at our age which allows reflux, heartburn and indigestion.

Have you tried an over the counter antacid, i.e. 'rennies'?  It's recent that my GP has given me something stronger following a chest X-ray.  Due to an irritating cough which may be related to reflux  ::)